How long should I be sore?

Options
I just joined a gym and I really do work hard when I go. Usually I am there for 60 -75 minutes. Mostly cardio but I do some weight machines as well.
My legs are sore for days after I work out. Am I doing something wrong? It makes me not want to go back. (Yes, I have about 50lbs of extra weight on me that I am trying to reduce - hence the emphasis on cardio.)

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You'll get over it
  • Dansgirl4910
    Dansgirl4910 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have worked out at least three times a week for the last two years and I still get sore! Especially if I do an exercise I haven't done before or in a while. It is always worse the second day too! Soreness means you are doing something right! If it is extreme, take a couple Advils! What you should really worry about is when you stop getting sore. Probably means you need to push harder or switch up your routine. Just be sure not to confuse muscle pain to other kinds of pain or injury. Listen your body and always stretch, warm up, and cool down. And LOTS of water!!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Just takes time for your muscles to rebound after you work them out. Being sore is normal. Do some foam rolling
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It just comes with the territory. Stretching/foam rolling should help a bit.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you've just started (or changed your exercise routine recently), you'll get sore no matter what you do.

If you've been exercising for a while and you're still carrying massive soreness from the last training session into the next training session then you probably need to look at the intensity/frequency/volume of your schedule because something's out of whack.

• AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My HS athletic trainer used to refer to those as the GISPs: Gettin' In Shape Pains.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am usually sore for 1-2 days after. The best way to handle this is to split up your routine. Do legs one day, upper body the next and stretch another. This way you can still workout while the muscles you worked before are still sore and recovering. Also eat more protein, it will help with recovery.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When I start a new kind of exercise, like kickboxing, I can be very, very sore for 3 or 4 days after my first 1 to 3 times going. After that, the soreness is much less. I'll get some soreness when I do a new move or really push myself, but ibuprofen is enough.

If you were not very active before, it might make sense to go a little easier on yourself for a few weeks. Soreness is to be expected, but if your DOMS are interfering with your life it's better to pull back a little and build your strength slowly.

Fitness should be a long term habit, so don't sabatoge yourself at the beginning.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You'll continue to be sore until your body adapts. There's a difference between soreness and pain. Make sure you're warming up and stretching before a hard workout. If you start to feel in pain, maybe stop for a couple days and/or talk to your doctor to make sure you're not over-doing it.
  • SamZ10
    SamZ10 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Did legs Wednesday and I am so sore today :D I have started embracing the soreness as a battle of how hard I am pushing my lazy, weak muscles!
    If you are getting sore.. GREAT JOB!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    as @kandell mentioned, please be aware that there is a difference between sore and pain.
    that being said, soreness is part of getting fit from not being fit.
    I took an aerial silks class and I was sore for 6 days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i'm always a little sore...not sore like when I first started moving...that lasted a couple of weeks or so...but I'm still almost always a little sore...that's what happens when you progressively push yourself.
  • cg18862
    cg18862 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make sure your nutrition is in order, especially after you workout. Eating protein and carbs right after or drinking a protein shake (or in my case, I have Crohn's Disease so I can only take BCAA's and gluatmine) will definitely help with your soreness. Nutrition plays a very important part in this area, so make sure you are tracking or at least being conscious of what you are eating right after and throughout the day.
  • gizmosmom02
    gizmosmom02 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. good tips. And yes, I am going back to the gym!!!