How many should I eat back on a workout day?

Options
I am trying to eat my net calories after exercise every day. Some days it's easy because I might only go for a walk and burn 150-300 depending on length of time. I am also taking a karate class once or twice a week depending on my schedule. I log it as 60 minutes even though the class goes for 90 minutes, as MFP says I burn over 1000 calories for 60 minutes, and then adds it what I can eat back.

That's seems insane. I know I can change the calories burned for the exercise, but I don't really know how much I'm burning anyway.

How much is a sensible amount to 'eat back' on a karate day to fuel the workout/recovery?

Replies

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The MFP system is based off of the idea that you eat your exercise calories back. That said, if you go by their logged burn, you will eat much more than you actually burn as they are all inflated/generalized. In general, I'd suggest eating about 50% of them back, max :smile:
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    You may not like this answer, but since I am at my goal weight, it works for me. I eat when I am hungry and aim to hit 110 grams of protein daily. Going back to last Friday, my end of day #s have been 356 remaining, 272 remaining, 274 remaining, 192 remaining, 340 remaining, 75 over, and 19 over. Truth: I was still hungry on the two days over 300 remaining, but I got home late and tired and didn't want to eat. On average, I have eaten back 3/4 of my exercise over the last week. While I was losing I ate 1/3 to 1/2 of them most days, but there were days I allowed myself up to 100 calories over if I was actually hungry.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    The MFP system is based off of the idea that you eat your exercise calories back. That said, if you go by their logged burn, you will eat much more than you actually burn as they are all inflated/generalized. In general, I'd suggest eating about 50% of them back, max :smile:

^^this is what I would have suggested. Ultimately these are all estimates and we need to adjust them based on personal experience. Start at eating back 50%, if you're losing faster then expected and are feeling like you need the extra calories, increase to 75%.

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, don't eat back your exercise calories unless you're doing something like 10+ mile runs. Just my 2 cents.