Feeling disappointed

Options

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    So do you have a food scale that you weigh your portions on?

It'd be helpful if you opened your food diary.
  • CiaraMDalton
    CiaraMDalton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Like I stated I calorie count it's been two weeks. Thank you for your suggestions. However, Like I stated I was feeling disappointed...in other words looking for encouragement. thank you for those who gave me a boost.
  • Rehabquilter
    Rehabquilter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Let me ask an obvious question, are you sure you are not pregnant? I know two women who were dieting and couldn't figure out why they were still gaining weight and neither had a clue they were pregnant...just a thought.
  • CiaraMDalton
    Options
    bannedword wrote: »

Your doctor is 100% wrong. That is ridiculous.

This whole thread is ridiculous. No one is a special snowflake.

Eat less than you burn and you will lose weight. Maybe not in a linear and predictable way, but you will not gain 9 pounds from eating too little. That is just nonsense.

I'm sorry you feel that way but I put in everything I eat and this is whats happening. If you have no helpful comments then please post elsewhere. Thank you
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    bubaluboo wrote: »
    It's been one week. You could lose about 2 lb in a (very strict calorie controlled) week but your body weight can fluctuate up to 5lb naturally from water retention so you may not see it so quickly. How do you know your calorie intake is less that you burned? Did you count calories?

Yes I have I figured it was best. My doctor stated that I'm not eating enough calories so my weight is staying the same...then I've tried this new food choice and gained 5 pounds.

that's not "100%" true.. i lost weight once i started eating more since i wasn't eating enough to begin with.
  • carlstokes8
    carlstokes8 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    just remember doctors are not nutritionists and half of them sound like quakes and will get you diet that you don't like. I don't think I could go vegan if I did I know my body would have to adjust to that type of diet. it could take a while..
  • CiaraMDalton
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    It's been one week. You could lose about 2 lb in a (very strict calorie controlled) week but your body weight can fluctuate up to 5lb naturally from water retention so you may not see it so quickly. How do you know your calorie intake is less that you burned? Did you count calories?

Yes I have I figured it was best. My doctor stated that I'm not eating enough calories so my weight is staying the same...then I've tried this new food choice and gained 5 pounds.

Well, in fairness it's hard to say if her doctor is wrong. But right or wrong, switching to a vegetarian diet without any real experience in vegetarian cooking can be a recipe for disaster in terms of weight gain.

@ClaraMDalton - Are you using MFP to track your calories and set up a reasonable and healthy rate of weight loss? Are you logging everything you eat and drink? These are powerful tools that will help you succeed.

Start with the basics of logging and tracking.
    Let me ask an obvious question, are you sure you are not pregnant? I know two women who were dieting and couldn't figure out why they were still gaining weight and neither had a clue they were pregnant...just a thought.

Its very well possible.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options

I'm sorry you feel that way but I put in everything I eat and this is whats happening. If you have no helpful comments then please post elsewhere. Thank you

That's not exactly how the internet works. You can't just dismiss me from an open chat board just because you don't like what I am saying.

And frankly, every thing I have posted has been helpful.

Try opening your diary. Try answering the questions you've been asked, like are you weighing and measuring everything you put in your mouth. Try understanding that weight loss is not mystical and mysterious. It's science, and if you aren't getting the expected outcomes, it is generally because one of your inputs is incorrect.

• CiaraMDalton
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

that's not "100%" true.. i lost weight once i started eating more since i wasn't eating enough to begin with.

Thank you! My doctor and have been watching this for a while...I trust him. 700 calories just wasn't enough for my body
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options

You may have been eating more food...but you began to eat in a calorie deficit. I feel like I am eating more now too but I am eating more chicken, fish, veggies, eggs etc...instead of calorie dense foods such as pasta and cheez its ...I still eat pasta but I weigh and measure it and make it fit into my day.

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Like I stated I calorie count it's been two weeks. Thank you for your suggestions. However, Like I stated I was feeling disappointed...in other words looking for encouragement. thank you for those who gave me a boost.

We are actually trying to help. You can calorie count all day but if you are not weighing your food you do not really know how much you are eating. Trust me. You are eating more than you think.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    eat at a deficit and you will start to lose weight, weigh and log everything.
    make sure you aren't pregnant
    weight goes up and down and it's ok. it took me time to lose weight. it took 2 weeks after I started this and exercise. just watch for the slow downward squiglly trend line down
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thank you! My doctor and have been watching this for a while...I trust him. 700 calories just wasn't enough for my body

Listen, I have kids your age and I would never "bash" anyone. I know your young. But you are choosing to listen to the adivce you want to...so go ahead and eat more calories. If you were truly eating 700 calories you would be losing weight.(though not in a healthy way) Come back in a few weeks and tell us where you are at. You may then choose to actually listen. Good luck

edited to add...unless you are pregnant??
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Here's the math to weight loss/gain: ~3500kcals/1lb of fat, so if you eat a 500 calorie deficit/day this adds up to ~1lb loss/week.

Just recheck your math and ensure you're operating in a deficit. If it's not successful, recheck and tighten up. People tend to grossly underestimate their caloric intake.

Also note there is a 20% margin of error in nutritional labeling, so ensure you've accounted for this in your plan.
  • CiaraMDalton
    Options
    Look - one of the beautiful things about weight loss is that it isn't all that complicated - the folks on these boards who have succeeded even while dealing with serious health issues can attest to that.

You're saying you don't eat a lot of calories, but you're not directly addressing whether you log every single thing you eat/drink and whether you weigh your food. You gained 9 pounds because you are missing some pieces of critical information, and the vast majority of the time, that information is found via logging.

I'm sorry you missed my statement to another bloger I log everything. But thank you for your help.
  • TLL09
    TLL09 Posts: 149 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bannedword wrote: »

That's not exactly how the internet works. You can't just dismiss me from an open chat board just because you don't like what I am saying.

And frankly, every thing I have posted has been helpful.

Try opening your diary. Try answering the questions you've been asked, like are you weighing and measuring everything you put in your mouth. Try understanding that weight loss is not mystical and mysterious. It's science, and if you aren't getting the expected outcomes, it is generally because one of your inputs is incorrect.

@bannedword You could use some compassion and kindness in your wording and people would likely be more receptive to your opinion. A lot of people have medical issues that make them "special little snowflakes" as you put it.

As for the OP, I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for your weight gain. As previously suggested, using a scale and measuring your food would be helpful in accurately tracking calories. If it is indeed some other reason, eliminating possibilities one at a time should point to the problem.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Look - one of the beautiful things about weight loss is that it isn't all that complicated - the folks on these boards who have succeeded even while dealing with serious health issues can attest to that.

You're saying you don't eat a lot of calories, but you're not directly addressing whether you log every single thing you eat/drink and whether you weigh your food. You gained 9 pounds because you are missing some pieces of critical information, and the vast majority of the time, that information is found via logging.

I'm sorry you missed my statement to another bloger I log everything. But thank you for your help.

I'm sorry you're missing the question do you own a scale? Do you weigh what you eat? Logging your food and actually weighing the food for the true amount of calories can be vastly different. Eye opening even.

Read the links I posted. They will help you.