Anyone work out during lunch break?

Options
Hi all, returning to MFP after a months long absence. I want to add weekday strength training. In the past I have tried to workout in the evenings after work, goes well for about 2 months then I start missing days. I am not a morning person, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips for squeezing in an effective workout during lunchtime. I have access to a nearby gym.

Thanks in advance for the advice, feel free to add me if you think we can help each other.

Replies

• csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I nearly always do lunchtimes... in the past, i've been known to head out for a run, return to the office car park then do 20-30 minutes jump rope!

So, tips... its easy to lose time. You need to get out of your work gear, into traiing gear, workout, shower, change back again, AND remember to eat!

So, deal with the eating first... break lunch down into pre-workout (just enough to keep you going), and post-workout (replenish).

Know where your stuff is. Dont waste time hunting for your trainers etc. Have it all together ready in a bag, to pick up and take with you. Dont mess about chatting. Pick up bag, get to where you are going. Already know what you're going to be doing in advance, what routine, and where the kit is. a 1 hour lunch quickly becomes only a 30 minute workout opportunity! Change, get your *kitten* done. Shower, back to work. Maximise that 30 minutes!
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Great tips. By the way how long before the workout do you eat the pre workout snack. Also it would be easy to digest carbs I'm guessing?
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It depends on what my work day looks like since I travel a lot. If I'm close to a gym I like to get a 20 min run in on the treadmill. Gives me 15 minutes to change/wipe down with hand wipes if a shower isn't an option and then a few min to walk back to work. For me hitting cardio is the most effective quick routine -- don't have to wait for weights to open and I can ramp up the HR quick.
  • AnnCourter
    AnnCourter Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    walking when it isn't raining!
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    Great tips. By the way how long before the workout do you eat the pre workout snack. Also it would be easy to digest carbs I'm guessing?

Depends how hard you're going. If I need an energy bar, I'll eat it about 20 min before. Really depends on when you need it to kick in. I give it 15-20 time. Since my lunch routines are quick, I don't go for preformula. Not worth it.