Food Diary for Men

Options

Replies

• Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    You'll probably have a better idea about your progress after a month or so. Not to be overly crude, but I can experience 1 lb loss in a day depending on how much fiber I have.

1630 kcal/day is a bit low for a man of your age, especially if you're at all active. Again, see what the numbers are like over time, but aggressive deficits can offer problems in the long term.

As far as meals go, what do you like eating? Some men like steak and potatoes, and some like grilled chicken and steamed vegetables. I like most anything that doesn't have mushrooms or olives in it.

I like steak and potatoes, chicken and steamed veggies, italian foods, Jamaican food, American food, Asian cuisine mostly. I lost a ton of weight not recorded on MFP. 1630 is what MFP recommended for a 2/lb a week weight loss. It's an adjustment but nothing I haven't done before. Last year u significantly cut my cals and got down to the low 230s from 270 within 4-5 months. I picked up 12-15lbs but luckily, not all fat. I do 80-100 push ups a night, average 8k steps a day, and still lift and do cardio at the gym 3 days a week. I gained due to my love for cheese and lots of it since this January. However, I still fit the same clothes just fine but I want to be down to 220 or less.
  • Domineer
    Options
    MFP gave me a goal of 1640, but usually eat more than that due to exercise. However, my meal planning helps me stay in that 1640 range on days that I don't exercise, and I am never full. I'm 5'7" 259lb sedentary (office job) with a goal weight of 160 (tip top of the "healthy" bmi chart for my height).

And for this reason is why I wanted men to give me their input, ladies. All of your points are valid but comparing another man with my goals and what we eat and their progress just motivates me more. I'm 5'10, 247lb....I have an office job with a true goal weight of 200lbs. Nothing personal ladies, this is your forum, no doubt about it. But please, picking on us males, being the minority on this site, is overboard just a tad
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Oh brother :|
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Domineer wrote: »
    MFP gave me a goal of 1640, but usually eat more than that due to exercise. However, my meal planning helps me stay in that 1640 range on days that I don't exercise, and I am never full. I'm 5'7" 259lb sedentary (office job) with a goal weight of 160 (tip top of the "healthy" bmi chart for my height).

And for this reason is why I wanted men to give me their input, ladies. All of your points are valid but comparing another man with my goals and what we eat and their progress just motivates me more. I'm 5'10, 247lb....I have an office job with a true goal weight of 200lbs. Nothing personal ladies, this is your forum, no doubt about it. But please, picking on us males, being the minority on this site, is overboard just a tad

tumblr_lujcm8Ee3G1qhpehmo3_500.gif

I'm smaller than you and I eat more than you. But, I've got boobs, so I'm unqualified to give food advice.

Carry on. I'll just be over here. Playing with my boobs.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Me giving my stats is no different than anyone else giving theirs. Ive seen many women who have the same scenario as me and have learned a lot from EVERYONE!
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,771 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

It's wrong but this is all i remember from that post....

On a more serious note, do you think women are incapable of thinking of the dietary requirement of men? I mean if they know their stuff it doenst really matter what gender they are.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well men usually have a higher tdee and more muscle than a women, things that would affect your dietary needs, so I don't see a problem with the op wanting to gain insight on what other guys eat.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

It's wrong but this is all i remember from that post....

On a more serious note, do you think women are incapable of thinking of the dietary requirement of men? I mean if they know their stuff it doenst really matter what gender they are.

How do you think my husband got himself into food logging? Oh that's right because I was at it for like 7 months before him. In fact I set up his MFP account, ensured that his settings were not putting him too low, and harp at him (and stalk his food diary) to make sure he eats to 1,500 net calories. I'll also be the first to go run over to Scooby Workshop and plug in his new numbers after every 10 pounds to make sure his caloric goals are sound.

I hope the OP doesn't ever go to a dietician that is a woman, because she won't know what the hell she's talking about for a male. Obviously. :noway:
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

Yeah this happens a lot online, and its strange, its very common to want to compare to the same gender and there is a lot of logic behind it, women wanting to hear from similar women doesn't generate all the "OMG you are sexist" type replies (and they really shouldn't), but men seeking posts from other men do.

On average a guy has more muscle mass per weight than a woman, have more in common in activities and activity likes with other guys than women, have more in common with other guys food choices than women, have more in common with guy's effort into putting a meal together than women. Yes you can find exceptions to each and every one of those always, but on average, if you have more in common with other guys, its logical to request to limit the field a bit. Its odd how some people manufacture "offense" out of it. You didn't even say "no women", you said "particularly the men", strange thing to spend energy being offended at.

Plus you are newish to this probably, so probably aren't aware that other factors like matching caloric intake per day, burn per day, meal number, diet type, size and height are more pertinent to match than gender if you are going to be looking at like-sized food portions and meal compositions. You could look at mine if you wish, but I'm eating about double what you do, and I'm bigger, more active, and I don't group food by meal, so you'd be better off matching characteristics I just mentioned with someone else.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

, have more in common with guy's effort into putting a meal together than women.
    LOL wut? Pretty sure I've never used anything specific to a man when making food. I'm never eating any of your cooking.

Also, as far as I've seen, 90+% of posts by women asking for only women to respond are about periods, which is probably honestly more about protecting men's delicate sensibilities than it is about even the worry of mansplaining.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options

As far as male or female for diet or exercise?

I like women workout partners. Women are much more fun to be around and usually more dedicated.

I think we are different obviously but can learn from each other if we see each other as equals.

So to the OP point....

I have lost net 125
    Lbs in a year and a half, with an office job, and added 15 lbs or so of muscle.

My best trainer was a woman. A smoking hot woman that nails her diet helped me a great deal with cutting out useless calories. She looks great for a reason... Hard work.

Be on the team. The team is men and women helping each other.

• Domineer
    Options
    j6o4 wrote: »
    Well men usually have a higher tdee and more muscle than a women, things that would affect your dietary needs, so I don't see a problem with the op wanting to gain insight on what other guys eat.

Exactly ^^^^

• Domineer
    Options
    You'll probably have a better idea about your progress after a month or so. Not to be overly crude, but I can experience 1 lb loss in a day depending on how much fiber I have.

1630 kcal/day is a bit low for a man of your age, especially if you're at all active. Again, see what the numbers are like over time, but aggressive deficits can offer problems in the long term.

As far as meals go, what do you like eating? Some men like steak and potatoes, and some like grilled chicken and steamed vegetables. I like most anything that doesn't have mushrooms or olives in it.

I like steak and potatoes, chicken and steamed veggies, italian foods, Jamaican food, American food, Asian cuisine mostly. I lost a ton of weight not recorded on MFP. 1630 is what MFP recommended for a 2/lb a week weight loss. It's an adjustment but nothing I haven't done before. Last year u significantly cut my cals and got down to the low 230s from 270 within 4-5 months. I picked up 12-15lbs but luckily, not all fat. I do 80-100 push ups a night, average 8k steps a day, and still lift and do cardio at the gym 3 days a week. I gained due to my love for cheese and lots of it since this January. However, I still fit the same clothes just fine but I want to be down to 220 or less.

Do you think that is significant in any way?

Do you think it's not?

It tells me that he doesn't move much. That is kind of counter to his implication that he has gained muscle from working out. 3 day a week at the gym isn't very impressive either.

Good thing weight loss is easier for men...

Why do you feel 8k steps isn't moving much? Why do you feel 3 days/week at the gym isn't very impressive? Does it need to be impressive?
    I am curious where you're basing these statements from.

I don't do it to impress anybody. You are way off base and insulting. I was 325 in 2011 and my not do impressive 3 days a week at the gym with good eating habits got me under 250 with no trainer, just raw willpower. This site is supposed to encourage people, not undermine. And last the last person said, where are you basing your statements?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Do you think it's not?

It tells me that he doesn't move much. That is kind of counter to his implication that he has gained muscle from working out. 3 day a week at the gym isn't very impressive either.

Why do you feel 8k steps isn't moving much? Why do you feel 3 days/week at the gym isn't very impressive? Does it need to be impressive?

If you are going to brag about it and talk about how you have gained "muscle" instead of weight, yes.

By the way, I do at least twice that, often quite a bit more. I'm just a woman though...

I don't disagree with you that the claims of gaining muscle on that type of activity are rather far fetched.
    What I'm taking issue with is why you feel the need to downplay or belittle other's activity simply because you can do more. These things are all relative.

Thanks for sticking up for people like me, UltimateRBF. I've been feeling absolutely awesome and have lost 25 lbs from CI<CO and averaging 10,000 steps a day. But that's not good enough? Well, you know what can be done with that opinion.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Do you think it's not?

If you are going to brag about it and talk about how you have gained "muscle" instead of weight, yes.

By the way, I do at least twice that, often quite a bit more. I'm just a woman though...

I don't disagree with you that the claims of gaining muscle on that type of activity are rather far fetched.
    What I'm taking issue with is why you feel the need to downplay or belittle other's activity simply because you can do more. These things are all relative.

Thanks for sticking up for people like me, UltimateRBF. I've been feeling absolutely awesome and have lost 25 lbs from CI<CO and averaging 10,000 steps a day. But that's not good enough? Well, you know what can be done with that opinion.

:)
    I'll be honest, I was also sticking up for myself. Between long hours at a desk job and a commute both ways, I'm sometimes lucky to break 5,000 steps on a work day. But I make up for it by controlling my intake and being as active as possible on my days off. I am learning to run and finally ran 5K the other day. I've also lost close to 40lbs in the last year, which isn't much but I've had to break through a lot of mental walls to get where I am. Still breaking walls.
    I have friends that could deadlift cars and others who run marathons for fun. Compared to them I'm like Homer Simpson. But they all had their starting point and I had mine. This isn't a pissing match, the biggest competition is with yourself.

So if what I do isn't good enough by someone else's standards, then oh well.

You ran 5K and you've lost 40 lbs! Wow, that's awesome! Good for you.
  • Orphia
    Options

Do you think it's not?

I am curious where you're basing these statements from.

I don't do it to impress anybody. You are way off base and insulting. I was 325 in 2011 and my not do impressive 3 days a week at the gym with good eating habits got me under 250 with no trainer, just raw willpower. This site is supposed to encourage people, not undermine. And last the last person said, where are you basing your statements?

Well done on the weight loss!

Just a thought... as a woman, I find it worrying that a person calls themselves "Domineer" and wants to exclude women from his thread. You probably haven't realised, but that seems sexist at the very least, and quite worrying.

Are you aware of how that might seem? My apologies if this sounds like I am attacking you. I hope you understand I am trying to see both sides of the debate, and I quite understand if you just hadn't made the connection with your OP request and your username.

Again, very well done on the willpower.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,771 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people commenting that men have a higher TDEE, more muscle, more this and that...

I cant see where anyone is disputing this applies on average, i think the issue is the fact that it comes across (wrongly or rightly) that women cannot possibly contribute to the food diet because they don't have the same requirements.

I'm not a 6ft 8' diabetic wookie but i could probably offer advice on their diet...as could any other man or woman that knows a bit about nutrition
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    OP, when I dropped weight, my calorie goal was around 1600. I'm maintaining now around 2200 (which really just means more treats and more liquor) so I don't think that my diary will help much although every Friday I do set my goal back to 1600. I always tried to eat more than1600 though and let exercise keep me under. It's pretty easy if you already like the elliptical. Stay committed and good luck with your plans.