Insanity or keep running? Will I lose my running fitness?

Options
I'm 18 years old, female, 5'1" and about 93 lbs. I'm a distance runner and just completed my first half marathon 2 weeks ago finishing with a time of 1 hour and 37 minutes. Whenever I go for a run I run about a 7-7:30 minute mile, and my average run is 5 miles but I sometimes run more or less.
I have been doing Insanity only for two days, but I'm having some second thoughts. I really want a toned body and to get back on track with my exercise and eating, but I don't think that doing both Insanity and running at the same time will work for me as I feel that it might be too much on my body.

So my question is: Should I do an Insanity and running hybrid program? Should I take a break from running and do the Insanity 63 day challenge? Or should I just stick to my running routine and maybe throw in some slight weight training in there? I don't want to lose what I can do in regards to distance running, so will taking that much time off of running if I do Insanity really affect how far I can run?

Thank you guys so much!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    That's a smoking hot result!

Do you have a race on the horizon? If not there are times that a change is as good as a rest...cut back a bit on your running (temporarily) and focus on other exercises. Just be mindful of your training cycle for the next race........
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't think that Insanity will ruin your running gains. I run and did Insanity and didn't have any decrease in my speed or stamina.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Shaun T actually had a post on Facebook for peoe to chime in on this topic. Almost everyone who did the hybrid increased their speed. I am actually getting ready to start the hybrid routine.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Shaun T actually had a post on Facebook for peoe to chime in on this topic. Almost everyone who did the hybrid increased their speed. I am actually getting ready to start the hybrid routine.
  • kels1152
    kels1152 Posts: 74
    Options
    I finished Insanity about 2 weeks ago and my running has improved a lot. My speed as increased and I can run a lot longer without stopping. I ran about 1x-2x a week while doing insanity. If you can maybe try to do a run once or twice along with Insanity. Good luck!