Just can't get my butt a-movin

Options
mrsc52811
mrsc52811 Posts: 4 Member
edited July 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hi all! My name is Shannon, I'm 30, and just hit a number on the scale that I never thought I'd hit: 300!!! I gained 40 lbs in 3 months. Part of that had to do with my insulin resistance but if I hadn't let myself get to the point where I was, it wouldn't have been an issue. So, here I am, 300 pounds, and not liking myself one bit. I want to lose the weight. I even signed up for a gym membership. I haven't gone for 2 months but I signed up; baby steps, right? Well, I can't do it alone anymore. My husband is supportive but just doesn't give the motivation that I need. He's more of a "you're beautiful the way you are" kind of guy and then I look in the mirror and think "are you blind?!" Anyway, I'd like to lose at least 100, if not 130, lbs. I want to be active and be able to take my kids places without getting winded or feeling like an embarrassment. I used to be a college athlete and now look at me. Pitiful. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    not being where you want to be should be enough motivation.

just start going to the gym. go every morning. sit in the lobby and read a magazine. that's all you have to do, just get into the habit of going to the gym.
  • davemacdonald31
    davemacdonald31 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I used to be a pro hockey player. Playing weight was 190. Now I'm 270. I feel your pain. I really do. I can try to help, but I too, am lacking motivation. I'm almost 39.
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    you're definitely not alone. i struggle sooo much with my own laziness. i also have more than 100 pounds to lose, so i really, really do need to choke that laziness out. i'll add you & we can help each other being accountable & getting our butts moving! (:
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    google.... low carb....atkins.... keto...Paleo.....Primal..... all low carb diets... they will work for you if you do them right...

you will ahve no insulin resistance at all... you will lose weight.... but you got to do it and not give up..... i lost abotu 120 pounds....i was on 49 units of insulin a night...no more of that.... off high blood pressure meds.....

its a good diet... but there are a lot of people on here will tell you its the diet of the devil.... they just havnt done the research that they need to say those things...

there are so many articles in the medical journals now that say that fat does not make you fat... and maybe the idea of low fat , high carb... might have been doing more damage than they ever thought..

im always here if you want my opinion..... it worked for me....

im proof

Bill
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    First of all you ARE beautiful the way you are...it's just not healthy the way you are.
    Baby steps are good...but simply signing up for a gym obviously doesn't do anything and I wouldn't even consider that a baby step. You have to actually go (or do anything physically challenging, it doesn't have to be at the gym) to consider it a step at all.
    I am a 37 year old mom of two who is a medical secretary (so I sit on my butt all day long). I make time to work out even though it usually means sacrificing something else. If you want it you will make it work.
    Also, food preparation in advance is a pain at the time but makes a world of difference if you are someone who makes poor impulse choices if not prepared.
    Those are my suggestions. Feel free to send a friend request.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can really "give" you motivation. You just have to knuckle down and flex your determination and will power muscles and do it. I really think you just reach a point where you want it bad enough that you do what you need to do even if you don't feel like it.

Once you start seeing results - that will be the best motivation to keep you going. When I see the scale drop, or my clothes fit better, or some new muscle definition it makes me excited to keep it up. It's just getting started - you need to force yourself to just do it. Set a workout schedule and consider them just like doctor's appointments - if they are in your calendar you have to go.

When I feel my motivation lagging I will also peruse the success stories forum - seeing all the before and afters is pretty inspiring.

I hope that helps!
  • baybee704
    baybee704 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You remind me of myself a few months ago, I was at 307 and was just disgusted with myself no one else just me because I choose the way I was eating and my lifestyle. Guess who had to change it around ME. You are going to have to use will power and decide you are NOT going to be 300 lbs anymore and start today anytime you feel like you are going to give up think about those 300lbs you are going to be. Not sure if it will work but it works for me I worked on 300's, 290's and currently working on 280's since may. YOU CAN DO IT, Do it for yourself and the woman you want to become. oh and take pics often it motivates you to see the loss in you. Feel free to add me if you ever want to talk we can always motivat each other
  • DORISGUDINO
    DORISGUDINO Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey Shannon,
    I am feeling the same way. I have been back on my fitness pal for 2 weeks and am doing good with my eating but can't find the motivation to work out. My kids just laugh because I have bought a treadmill, a palates machine, a fitbit and here I sit.....
    I just have NO energy. I am hoping losing a little by eating healthy will eventuality motivate me.
    Well I have no words of wisdom, I just wanted to let you know you are not alone in this journey. We will get there!! Just take one day at a time and do what you can that one day. Best of luck,
    Doris
  • JMarcotte
    JMarcotte Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Question: Can you pin point a specific reason why you are not going to the gym?
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    IR is a symptom of being overweight and/or carb issues; it can be reversed or at least mitigated.

You need to make the choice, and then follow thru with a sustainable lifestyle change.

We can't motivate you ... we can encourage or discourage you.
    The 1st 10 and last 10 lbs. will be the hardest. Get the ball rolling, and use momentum/inertia to your advantage.
    I can tell you from experience that after a short time, once you start seeing/feeling the difference, you will want more of it, and it will get easier.
    I can tell you that small changes can have big effects ... a simple 20 min walk every day after dinner around the block can start you on your journey, and have positive benefits.
    It is almost impossible ( practically ) to out exercise a poor nutrition plan. Start tracking how you're fueling your body, and how much your putting in. Much more important for weight loss, for the average person.
    Set reasonable/obtainable milestone goals, and celebrate them when you achieve them.
  • mrsc52811
    Options
    I want to get out there and be all "get-up-and-go" about it. I just lack the energy. I blame it on not having enough time with my husband and kids. But in the end, I'd rather be here for them longer in their lives than longer during the day. I work 50+ hrs a week, I lift and move furniture and appliances at least 3 of those days, and the only feasible time I can go is at 5 or 6 am. My husband doesn't get home until 3 am from work; so 2 hrs in bed with him but I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get up super early. I just know that something needs to be done. I know a dozen people that have had surgeries and I just don't think I want to go that route.
  • mrsc52811
    Options
    JMarcotte wrote: »
    Question: Can you pin point a specific reason why you are not going to the gym?

Not really. I have always been part of a team, clear through college. We played as a team, lived as a team, ate as a team, worked out as a team. Now, I'm alone and it's devastatingly scary. I don't want people to stare or think "omg, watch out for lard butt". When I'm with others, it takes my mind off of the self consciousness of it all. Don't get me wrong, I carry weight well and people don't believe me when I tell them how much I weigh but the way I look vs the way I THINK I look and the way I FEEL are on two completely different planes.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    mrsc52811 wrote: »
    Hi all! My name is Shannon, I'm 30, and just hit a number on the scale that I never thought I'd hit: 300!!! I gained 40 lbs in 3 months. Part of that had to do with my insulin resistance but if I hadn't let myself get to the point where I was, it wouldn't have been an issue. So, here I am, 300 pounds, and not liking myself one bit. I want to lose the weight. I even signed up for a gym membership. I haven't gone for 2 months but I signed up; baby steps, right? Well, I can't do it alone anymore. My husband is supportive but just doesn't give the motivation that I need. He's more of a "you're beautiful the way you are" kind of guy and then I look in the mirror and think "are you blind?!" Anyway, I'd like to lose at least 100, if not 130, lbs. I want to be active and be able to take my kids places without getting winded or feeling like an embarrassment. I used to be a college athlete and now look at me. Pitiful. Any help would be appreciated.

Commenting on this just because I, surprisingly, don't see others posting it yet.

You're unmotivated to go the gym. Have you started working on your diet? "Weight loss begins in the kitchen; health begins in the gym" is a common phrase around MFP and it's helped some people.

There's a common misperception that you have to do everything right from day 1 of your plan, including spending an hour at the gym and that's just not true. I've seen many people who have lost quite a bit of weight by reducing their calorie intake alone. Then, when some of the weight came off and they had more energy, they eased into exercise.

I realize you were a former athlete, so I totally get your desire to get up and kick butt. I'm not saying don't exercise, but I am saying you can begin to change your body without it until your desire to move kicks in.
  • ihaveeverythingineed
    ihaveeverythingineed Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would focus on diet first, after you lose 15 pounds I bet you will naturally want to exercise because you will have added energy and the positive jump start you need you feel with your initial weight loss. Or try to just do it first thing in the morning:) Good luck girl
  • aunjerikap
    aunjerikap Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi! I really do understand where you are coming from. Its really hard for me to go to the gym too. I think it's boring. What helped me is that I did dance classes. I found joining fitness group classes kept me going. You are excising with others around you. It makes you want to keep up with them. Also once you go a few days and people get to know you and are excited to see you. It makes you want to go. Almost make you accountable.

Also I like working out at home with work out videos. Going to the gym is not for everyone. Also maybe joining fitness groups online can help. You guys can motivate each other to lose wait and show progress results. I am looking for some team members to lose weight with so we can motivate each other.. Want to join?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I want to get out there and be all "get-up-and-go" about it. I just lack the energy. I blame it on not having enough time with my husband and kids. But in the end, I'd rather be here for them longer in their lives than longer during the day. I work 50+ hrs a week, I lift and move furniture and appliances at least 3 of those days, and the only feasible time I can go is at 5 or 6 am. My husband doesn't get home until 3 am from work; so 2 hrs in bed with him but I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get up super early. I just know that something needs to be done. I know a dozen people that have had surgeries and I just don't think I want to go that route.

on days that i work, i have to be at work at 530am, dressed and ready. i wake up at 430am to get there on time.

On days that i'm off, i wake up at 430am to be out the door by 5am to get my workout in.

it can be done. you need don't need motivation. you need willpower. set up your coffee pot to go off at 430am. lay out your gym clothes to put on immediately after you pour a cup of coffee and splash some water on your face.

• Nuke807
    Nuke807 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about being self-conscious at the gym. I had that same worry, but once I got there I saw that people really didn't care what I looked like. If anything they were impressed that I took that leap to get into the gym and get my lazy butt active. You got this!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options

Commenting on this just because I, surprisingly, don't see others posting it yet.

You're unmotivated to go the gym. Have you started working on your diet? "Weight loss begins in the kitchen; health begins in the gym" is a common phrase around MFP and it's helped some people.

There's a common misperception that you have to do everything right from day 1 of your plan, including spending an hour at the gym and that's just not true. I've seen many people who have lost quite a bit of weight by reducing their calorie intake alone. Then, when some of the weight came off and they had more energy, they eased into exercise.

I realize you were a former athlete, so I totally get your desire to get up and kick butt. I'm not saying don't exercise, but I am saying you can begin to change your body without it until your desire to move kicks in.

An excellent point. Losing weight is mostly diet. Also, don't put too much emphasis on motivation. It's fickle. How many of us joyfully leap out of bed on Monday morning because we are so "motivated" to get to work? We still somehow get to work.

Decide that you are going to make the commitment and take the actions that are needed to lose weight. Or alternatively, decide that now isn't the right time for you. Either way, motivation isn't required.

This blog post makes the point very well:

http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/

9566339.png

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

Its not about beauty, its about being healthy. ask him, if he thinks your healthy?
    Now, go for a 10 min walk with him or with family or friends. 10 min. Its not a lot.. do that for 1 week
    2nd week, go for a 15min walk. again, that is not alot of time.
    week 3.. now buy your self a book or join Netflix. Now watch a show, read a book while you are walking.
  • mebsta3382
    mebsta3382 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your lack of "get up and go" could be part of your insulin resistance. I just got told yesterday that I was prediabetic, and the whole reason I went to the doc's in the first place was because I just couldn't face leaving the house some days I just felt so tired and lacking in energy.
    Maybe forget the gym for now - could you exercise with your kids? Getting a Wii, for example, and doing the crazy dance stuff like Wii Cheer and Just Dance and yes, even the standard Wii Fit or Wii Sports - then you can up your activity without compromising on family time.
    And yes, you'll probably get a huge boost by losing some weight first, and the way you do that is up to you. Personally, I've had great success in the past with Slim-Fast and with Tim Ferris' Slow-Carb 4-hour-body diet. From what I've read of the latest research, the slow-carb approach is best for diabetic/insulin-resistant dieters, because carbs = sugar and sugar = poison... My own issue is I never stick to a diet :-P