Gym Newbe....

Options
So.....I've stepped foot in a gym maybe twice in my life; 1 of which was yesterday when I went to pick up my key fob from them. My husbands employer gave everyone a free one year family membership to one of our local gyms and we are planning on utilizing this awesome resource to get us and the kiddos headed in the right direction with getting healthy. My question is -- what are some non-spoken rules I should know about when at the gym? What should I take along with us? I'm pretty nervous going somewhere out of my comfort zone and so I'm just looking for information from more seasoned gym-goers!! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'll list out ones I think are pretty important:
    1. Don't stare at people. It's weird.
    2. Wipe down equipment after you're done.
    3. Re-rack your plates when you're done.
    4. Don't hog too much equipment.
    5. Don't try and give people unsolicited advice

What should you take with you? Well, that entirely depends on you. This is what I take in my bag;
    • Shaker bottle w/ spring ball and compartments
    • Earphones
    • Shorts
    • Lifting belt
    • Hoodie
    • Wrist straps
    • Money

Other than that, no one is there to watch you workout. They're just there to do their thing... unless you're about to deadlift a bunch of weight or squat 421093321kg then no one particularly cares that you're there.

At least you're going to the gym to better yourself.

Have fun ;)
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    DON'T let anyone make you feel unwelcome. You have just as much right to be there as anyone else.

Other than that, I like those top 5 listed above. :)
  • mclelis
    mclelis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    take a couple of classes, talk to the instructors or fitness counselors (most gym's will have some one that can help)
    and let them help you develop a routine that will work for you. Have fun!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Ask the people at the front desk about their peak and non-peak hours. Some people find being the new kid at the gym to be intimidating, and it can be easier to get acclimated if you go when it isn't packed. (I'm a veteran gym-goer, and I can't stand going to the gym during peak hours. Two minutes there, right after work, and I was ready to run away screaming and never go back).

Go in with a plan. If you're a new lifter and you want to lift, look into some beginner programs (like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5) beforehand.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Trainers and the gym employees are there to help you. Plus, it's always been my experience that gym regulars are more than happy to answer questions. Everyone was the newbie at one time, and almost everyone remembers what that felt like.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

What should you take with you? Well, that entirely depends on you. This is what I take in my bag;
    • Earphones
    • Shorts
    • Lifting belt
    • Hoodie
    • Wrist straps
    • Money

Oh good god man. She's going to the gym FOR THE FIRST TIME. Don't give her YOUR list. Give her a list she can actually deal with.

Listen, you don't need to take much of anything with you. Wear clothes you're comfortable with, and take a good attitude. That's it. If your gym doesn't provide towels, take one of those to wipe the sweat off your face/neck/whatever. Take a water bottle and drink frequently. That's it. The gym doesn't have to be a complicated place.

And remember this: no one is there to judge you. Everyone is there to work on themselves; everyone is there to bust their own *kitten* and make their own gains. Do not be intimidated by anyone or anything. Do your thing. This is YOUR time. Make the most of it.

Ask for help if you need it. Most people are actually really friendly and willing to help. They might not seem like it at first, but it's just because they're busy, you know, working out :)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

• Earphones
    • Shorts
    • Lifting belt
    • Hoodie
    • Wrist straps
    • Money

Oh good god man. She's going to the gym FOR THE FIRST TIME. Don't give her YOUR list. Give her a list she can actually deal with.

Listen, you don't need to take much of anything with you. Wear clothes you're comfortable with, and take a good attitude. That's it. If your gym doesn't provide towels, take one of those to wipe the sweat off your face/neck/whatever. Take a water bottle and drink frequently. That's it. The gym doesn't have to be a complicated place.

And remember this: no one is there to judge you. Everyone is there to work on themselves; everyone is there to bust their own *kitten* and make their own gains. Do not be intimidated by anyone or anything. Do your thing. This is YOUR time. Make the most of it.

Ask for help if you need it. Most people are actually really friendly and willing to help. They might not seem like it at first, but it's just because they're busy, you know, working out :)

I don't think it takes much to realise that if you're going to the gym for the first time, that you won't need half the stuff on there. And I did say, "it entirely depends on you", i.e. OP can choose what she wants. But sure, whatever.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Bring the basics - your sneakers, workout clothes, music if you have a preference over what will get played over the speakers, water bottle. The gym will provide towels/clothes to wipe down the equiptment. If you want to shower/change there before going home/work, then bring your shower stuff and a change of clothes. That's it.

As for etiquette. The #1 thing for me is to wipe down the equipment after you use it.

And if you go to the weight training section, don't talk to anyone or walk too close to them during a lift (before or after is totally ok, but not during the actual lift), can thrown off their perception/balance and cause injury.
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've only been going 6 weeks myself, but I went after work day just to scope the place out. The girl @ the desk showed me the layout of the place, the equipment available, where the restrooms are, etc. I felt so much better when I went back to actually work out. All I take is my earbuds & a water.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    1. Don't stare at people. It's weird.
    2. Wipe down equipment after you're done.
    3. Re-rack your plates when you're done.
    4. Don't hog too much equipment.
    5. Don't try and give people unsolicited advice

• Earphones
    • Shorts
    • Lifting belt
    • Hoodie
    • Wrist straps
    • Money

Other than that, no one is there to watch you workout. They're just there to do their thing... unless you're about to deadlift a bunch of weight or squat 421093321kg then no one particularly cares that you're there.

At least you're going to the gym to better yourself.

Have fun ;)

I don't think I've ever seen anyone follow any of these rules. Including myself.
  • balvis3919
    balvis3919 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i live 3 blocks from the gym so i dont have to take as much but i always have my vivofit (obviously cause its attached to me always), my keys to the gym, flashlight (for the walk to and from), waterbottle (a big one), ipod with headphones. otherwise ur workout clothes and shoes. thats all i take and ur shaker bottle and protein shake can be done when u get home if u r home within 30 minutes of ending ur workout.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone follow any of these rules. Including myself.

Well, if folks do one thing... I'd recommend at least pulling off the hardest lift in the gym.

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Don't use a cardio machine right next to someone else if you don't have to (aka. like guys at the urinal, give a buffer space). Obviously if things are busy you don't have a choice but if it's empty enough then do.

Don't wear smelly perfumes/body sprays.

Don't blare the sound on the TV and turn it off when you are done.

I agree with putting equipment away, including taking the plates off the barbells. Some people aren't strong enough to deal with heavier weights, plus it's just polite so others don't have to do it for you.

And I agree with wiping down equipment
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I cut my list to the bare bones if I wasn't showering at the gym, etc. It's really down to a water bottle and a towel to wipe my sweat. I like to take ice in the bottle since I recover faster when drinking ice cold water - or just feel better with it. LOL. My gym even has a place for people to put their car keys and pick up when done. Wow, now that I write it, that sounds really, wow trusting I guess.

Do you have classes at your new gym? I'm biased to those, and usually anyone can just walk in, and can keep trying a bunch of classes and see which ones you might like.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    As far as what I bring to the gym.
    My gym is in my apartment so I don't need gym keys/cards or my car keys.
    House keys, water bottle, towel, phone w/ headphones.
    I don't really need the towel or water bottle for lifting (there's a water fountain), but I usually do some cardio as well.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'll just mention a couple things that upset me when I forget them:

Headphones
    Money (for water, shake, emergency socks or headphones)
    Pencil/notebook
    Lock/key
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    What NOT to do:
    Stare or laugh at people
    Try to use the gym as a place to "hook up"
    Make eye contact in the locker room
    Bring kids that are not age appropriate for the workout floor

What to do:
    Wipe the equipment down after use
    Return equipment/weights/etc to their proper place

What to bring/wear:
    Good shoes, appropriate for your activity
    Comfortable clothes
    Water bottle
    Small towel to wipe away sweat

Extras to consider:
    Mobile Phone/MP3 Player with headphones that don't fall out easily
    Mini Notebook for writing down weights/sets/etc
    Shower Necessities, shampoo, conditioner, body wash/soap, flip-flops/shower shoes, change of clothes and shoes
    Heart Rate Monitor
  • txrn123
    txrn123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Speaking of etiquette...I used our gym sauna after working out a few day ago and damn if some lady wasn't in there on her cell phone!!! Really??????? She got off after 5 minutes so it didn't go on the whole time I was in there, thank goodness, cuz I couldn't decide on a polite way to tell her to get off.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Rules for the gym are no different to rules for life.

Share, be nice and polite, be clean, respect others. No grunting.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Some good advice here. I'd just add, go in with a plan. There is nothing worse than going in and not knowing what to do and how long for.

Think of some goals. Do you want to lift weights? Do you want to be able to run a 5k? Then look for programmes (or ask the staff).

When I went in the first time I didn't have I plan. I was unfocused and wandered between equipment basically wasted my time and I felt self conscious. When I went in to start Stronglifts 5x5, I had a plan, a purpose and a goal. No time to feel self conscious. ;)
  • CoachKatie814
    CoachKatie814 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting started! The first few times are the hardest. Depending on how big your gym is I would recommend having an employee show you where everything is, even if you don't know how to use it all now, eventually you will. Wear clothes and shoes you can comfortably workout in. You don't need to bring much, I practically live at the gym (I work there) and most days I'll bring a water bottle and headphones. Unspoken rules: wipe down machines after you use them, if you use something moveable (weights, exercise ball, ect) put it back when you're done, give people space but it's ok to ask questions and be friendly- just don't approach someone as they are lifting a weight, like someone else said it's a safety issue. The gym can be an intimidating place for new people and regulars alike but it doesn't have to be. Go in and do your thing.