When people give you advice while lifting

Options
sistrsprkl
sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
While doing by SL 5x5 today at the gym, an older gentleman came up to me and said, "I've been noticing what lifts you're doing and you really should be using a belt for those, you're young and you don't want to injure your back." I really tried to be gracious and thanked him for his concern and told him I had done some research. Left it at that. I'm in the early weeks of SL and the weights are still light, I know I don't need a belt, I need to increase my core & back strength on their own. Do others often get "feeback" at their gyms? It's kinda annoying. What do you say?

Eta --- I bet he wouldn't have said anything if I was a dude but I guess that's besides the point...

Replies

• PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    He probably just wanted a reason to talk to you!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    No one talks to me at the public gym. But i sure have a thing of two to say to many of the people in there lifting, ouch they make my eyes water. But.... i keep to myself and don't say anything to anyone.
    I'm sure he had the best intentions... or he was just hitting on you :P
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I do SL 5x5 like you, there's an old guy at our gym who is pretty big for his size, but he always gives out advice. He's gained the title 'Papa broceps'. He gave me advice on bench press saying exactly where the bar should touch my chest (it was a bad rep) and he said "come off and let me show you" - lizard brain just said "lolnope".

Funny thing is, the guy couldn't squat properly without leaning forwards.

I just say "thanks". I had headphones in too, which is usually an indicator that I don't want to talk unless I actually know you... but nah... he's a bit of an odd guy.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    He wasn't hitting on me, he was like in his 70's. I'll keep working on my strength and form so people won't have anything to say ;)
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of people come up to me and give me advice. I am polite and will listen, but in the end, I'll do whatever I feel like is best for me. I actually only listened once to someone advice. She was a trainer, and she was also in awesome shape (and figure competitor)... and her advice did make sense ;) I know my stuff, but sometimes I guess my form could be off, although I pay close attention to it! It's always possible :)
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that,well once, I was doing rumanian deadlift and guy be like "bend those knees" and I was like, "No,it's rumanian" haha

But most of the time no one tells me stuff,only my coach, and I agree we must have strong backs and core,when I did my first squat at 60kgs I did use a belt,cos coach told me to,now I don't feel like it so I don't and I'm fine.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A man stopped me before I went to reverse barbell lunge last week, he looked my legs up and down and said "You want to slim your legs down right? You should cycle and do less of this stuff...You'll get your legs nice and toned". Not only did it piss me off, it made me self-conscious and ruined my workout.

I just told him that I "highly disagree" and like lifting. I also told him I've done my research and just tried to shut him down.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    At my old public gym, never rely happened. Got a couple open mouthed stares occasionally, but never approached.

At my current gym, I get form feedback all the time. But then again, it's coming from my coaches and I kinda pay them for it.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    While doing by SL 5x5 today at the gym, an older gentleman came up to me and said, "I've been noticing what lifts you're doing and you really should be using a belt for those, you're young and you don't want to injure your back." I really tried to be gracious and thanked him for his concern and told him I had done some research. Left it at that. I'm in the early weeks of SL and the weights are still light, I know I don't need a belt, I need to increase my core & back strength on their own. Do others often get "feeback" at their gyms? It's kinda annoying. What do you say?

Eta --- I bet he wouldn't have said anything if I was a dude but I guess that's besides the point...

OH - MY - GAWD.

Seriously, you have no idea how much I can identify. First off, this guy who was REALLY out of shape (besides the point, but wait for it!) was at the squat rack. So I politely asked him how many sets he had left - he replies with a grin saying "I dunno...why? Do you want to use this?" And I was like "As a matter of fact, yes I do!"

So then he asks me what was I doing - I said SL 5x5...he said "Oh wow...it's not very common to see people doing that around here!" He then tells me all about his fitness routine and how I should do this and that after SL. He then allowed me access to the squat rack - as I finished my first set I hear him saying behind me "You should lower yourself more. You're not going down enough so you're not really working your legs."

I got SO frustrated that I said in between my teeth "Listen, if I need help I'll make sure to ASK, ok?" I just HATE advice like that and it usually comes from people that probably don't really know WHAT they're doing. I also hate because then I feel like someone is "watching" me and it ruins the workout. Unsolicited advice? No. Just no.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I'll keep working on my strength and form so people won't have anything to say ;)

It's probably still going to happen if you're female. You can deter some guys by wearing large headphones and making yourself look scary ("beast mode" shirt, camo shorts, etc).. and of course, lifting more than they do. B)
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Omg I was going to post a similar thread a few days ago. Was doing squats, on my last set of 5 when this buff guy comes up to me, very loudly telling me I should go with lower weight or I would f$&@ up my back. I was pissed, given the last set is always the hardest when you're trying to push through it. Like you, I tried to be gracious and just said thanks for the advice, but it did piss me off. Not a fan of unsolicited advice.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Could you make them go away by asking them to spot you?

Just wondering.
  • blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    He wasn't hitting on me, he was like in his 70's. I'll keep working on my strength and form so people won't have anything to say ;)

His in his 70s What's the big deal. He could ave been a pro in his prime.take his advise an LEARN FROM IT..love to see any of you guys train at his age..
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    A man stopped me before I went to reverse barbell lunge last week, he looked my legs up and down and said "You want to slim your legs down right? You should cycle and do less of this stuff...You'll get your legs nice and toned". Not only did it piss me off, it made me self-conscious and ruined my workout.

I just told him that I "highly disagree" and like lifting. I also told him I've done my research and just tried to shut him down.

God what an a**hole... that woulda ruined my workout too. Sorry you had to deal with that...
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    As to it happening only to women, it has happened to me. At least once. (Durn it. But, that time the guy was right! I was working too heavy and my form was terrible.) So, I suspect it happens to everyone. I think we can just make sure we don't do it to others, and that we try to phrase it politely when we say "BUZZ OFF!"
    I might just try saying: "We're all just trying to get better, aren't we?" And leave it at that.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Only had someone offer advice once. It was over how to do wrist curls of all things. He came over to let me know that I didn't have to do it the way I was, that I could use the upright seated bench or one of the incline benches to rest my arm on instead of my leg. Which technically is true, that is a way to do it and I was aware already. I did my way because I stand all day and like to on occasion sit down. I basically said I knew and he got a little huffy with the whole "just trying to help" then went back to his preacher curls, or whatever that is called. I still can't even figure out how to hold the ez bar, so if someone offered on that, I'd take the advice. lol
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that,well once, I was doing rumanian deadlift and guy be like "bend those knees" and I was like, "No,it's rumanian" haha

But most of the time no one tells me stuff,only my coach, and I agree we must have strong backs and core,when I did my first squat at 60kgs I did use a belt,cos coach told me to,now I don't feel like it so I don't and I'm fine.

Romanian deadlifts involve bent knees, maybe you're thinking SLDLs?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

God what an a**hole... that woulda ruined my workout too. Sorry you had to deal with that...

It bothered me more than it should have, honestly. I think it was more the way he kept looking me up and down and assumed I wanted my legs to be thinner (I do, but that's no one's business but mine).