Anyone having trouble giving up that evening drink?

Options

Replies

• Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    For now I've given up after-dinner wine completely. For me, part of the problem is that I have to have something salty and crunchy with that wine. And most of the salty/crunchy things that I like are also high calorie and are hard for me to stop on once I start eating. Potato chips are the worst, so they also are not welcome in my house. So no more after-dinner wine.

But, since it's summer I have a gin and tonic almost every evening. My husband makes them when he gets home from work. I have mine made with diet tonic which is actually quite good (I thought for sure I'd hate it). And I don't have a lot of gin in it so it's actually pretty low-cal. I also figure in the calories for a nice cold dark beer on the weekends sometimes.

Once the colder weather comes back we won't have the gin and tonics so then I might put back in a glass of wine with dinner, depending on calories. I still prefer to eat my calories, so this is why I've cut back. But not giving it up entire. :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    jlutz193 wrote: »
    So this is an issue I am struggling with. There is no way I am going to quit drinking every night so what I am doing is cutting back on everything else and upping my walking. I reserve 1500 calories for my evening drinks and yes I know it's unhealthy but so is being overweight! Once I drop 50 pounds I will start working my way down to six drinks or less a nite.

How many of you out there are drinkers finding it hard to lose weight?

You drink 1500 calories worth of alcohol every night? Please go to an AA meeting.

Why go to AA meetings? Do they have tips for helping me diet? I do thank you for posting but I did ask a question specifically to drinkers about weight loss.

Have a good day!

Because you have a drinking problem that needs to be addressed by professionals.

Everyone here will tell you that if you want to lose weight, you need to quit drinking 1500 calories worth of ALCOHOL a day. May I ask how many calories you consume daily?

If you are serious about losing weight (and avoiding cirrhosis), you will seek the professional help you need.
  • Altrez74
    Altrez74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So this is an issue I am struggling with. There is no way I am going to quit drinking every night so what I am doing is cutting back on everything else and upping my walking. I reserve 1500 calories for my evening drinks and yes I know it's unhealthy but so is being overweight! Once I drop 50 pounds I will start working my way down to six drinks or less a nite.

You drink 1500 calories worth of alcohol every night? Please go to an AA meeting.

Why go to AA meetings? Do they have tips for helping me diet? I do thank you for posting but I did ask a question specifically to drinkers about weight loss.

Have a good day!

Because you have a drinking problem that needs to be addressed by professionals.

Everyone here will tell you that if you want to lose weight, you need to quit drinking 1500 calories worth of ALCOHOL a day. May I ask how many calories you consume daily?

If you are serious about losing weight (and avoiding cirrhosis), you will seek the professional help you need.

I don't really want to get in a discussion about who might or might not need help. I don't drink 1500 calories of PURE Alcohol a day that would be wasteful. The drinks I have total up to that amount with every thing combined! I set a goal of 2210 calories a day.

I walk at least 5 miles a day "Just started" thank you for the post.

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

My maintenance calories are just barely over 1500 calories. There's no way you're "upping your walking" enough to create a deficit large enough to cover 1500 calories of alcohol per day, to lose weight. Maybe if you started walking to AA meetings?

Hello,

Not sure why I would walk to AA meetings there's no alcohol there. Now if we change your last sentence to this:

Maybe if you started walking to AA meetings the Bar?

It becomes more helpful :)

Thank you for the post.

Well Sir,

I applaud you for the non confrontational style of your reply. Along with added quip. May you enjoy your days

while you can.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited July 2015
    Options

Have a good day!

I don't really want to get in a discussion about who might or might not need help. I don't drink 1500 calories of PURE Alcohol a day that would be wasteful. The drinks I have total up to that amount with every thing combined! I set a goal of 2210 calories a day.

You specifically stated "I reserve 1500 calories for my evening drinks."

Don't start backpedaling now. Unless it's to AA.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Have a good day!

Meaning you eat 710 calories of food?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Have a good day!

So you allow yourself only 710 calories of nutrition? Hopefully you are drinking with mixers such as OJ or tomato juice . . .
  • Altrez74
    Options

Have a good day!

I am not backpedaling at all I do in fact reserve 1500 calories a day for my evening drinks that have alcohol in them not pure alcohol, please do try to keep up.

I do want to thank you for your time and concern but I dont want to clutter up the thread with a game of who's an alcoholic or not.

Take care!
  • Altrez74
    Options

Have a good day!

Meaning you eat 710 calories of food?

Hello,

I eat around 1300 or so. I use walking to offset my drinks.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Have a good day!

I am not backpedaling at all I do in fact reserve 1500 calories a day for my evening drinks that have alcohol in them not pure alcohol, please do try to keep up.

I do want to thank you for your time and concern but I dont want to clutter up the thread with a game of who's an alcoholic or not.

Take care!

Well, it certainly isn't me considering I've never had a drink in my life. That only leaves one other person…

Whether or not you consume 1500 calories of pure alcohol or mixed alcoholic beverages doesn't really matter. The issue is that you reserve 1500 calories for those alcoholic beverages every day. And since you eat 2210 calories per day, that means you are only eating 710 calories of real food each day. You are consuming more calories from alcoholic beverages than food.

The first step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one. Until you do that, you will have a very difficult time losing weight. That's the honest truth.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I've had many problems with food in my life; I'm so glad alcohol isn't want of them. I feel ya!
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

My maintenance calories are just barely over 1500 calories. There's no way you're "upping your walking" enough to create a deficit large enough to cover 1500 calories of alcohol per day, to lose weight. Maybe if you started walking to AA meetings?

Really. 1500 calories? Two or three bottles of wine? Over half a case of beer? Wow.

If you're not drinking 8oz of everclear a day you've got a serious not-drinking-enough problem.

What is everclear?

190 proof (95%) alcohol. Illegal to sell in some states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Really. 1500 calories? Two or three bottles of wine? Over half a case of beer? Wow.

If you're not drinking 8oz of everclear a day you've got a serious not-drinking-enough problem.

What is everclear?

Ewwwww!

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Wow, this has started over my 125 calorie worth of wine, and moved on to 1500 calories a day on alcohol, which by the way, is about my TDEE for the day when active. That's a lot of booze. I think I'd be in a hospital at that point.
  • Altrez74
    Options
    Hello everyone! I made a slight miscalculation on my evening drinks. Its closer to 1700. I am new to all this so when I got home I did a bit more internet digging and found that vodka has 1618 calories per fifth. So my goal now is to step up the walking and cut back a bit more on dinner.

I am hoping to lose 1 pound per week for 50 weeks I think its doable. Is there other low impact exercises I can do to help burn more calories?

Thanks!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I made a slight miscalculation on my evening drinks. Its closer to 1700. I am new to all this so when I got home I did a bit more internet digging and found that vodka has 1618 calories per fifth. So my goal now is to step up the walking and cut back a bit more on dinner.

I am hoping to lose 1 pound per week for 50 weeks I think its doable. Is there other low impact exercises I can do to help burn more calories?

Thanks!

Given the response you've already received to your excessive drinking, it's hard not to see this as attention seeking.
  • faurotann
    faurotann Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You're cracking me up!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

Thanks!

This can't be for real.... At this point, the EMTs would be at my house.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

What is everclear?

Ewwwww!

We have to go to Wisconsin, Iowa or South Dakota to get it.

Fun fact, it'll run your car for a while if you're in a pinch, or cause you to find people strewn about your front yard the morning after a party in college. Not that I have experience with that or anything....
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Thanks!

Depending on your size, walking is pretty low impact and burns an average of 75 calories per mile. So if your average gait is 3 mph, which is 225 calories an hour, you could walk for ten hours for 2,250 calories. That way, even after the 1700 calories for the vodka, you still have 550 for nutrition. I recommend a couple of boiled eggs and steamed broccoli. Of course, there's always cycling or the elliptical, which burns a lot more calories than walking, but they aren't as low impact. But then again, you don't have to do them as long and will have more time to enjoy your vodka. And you could work off even MORE calories to use for nutrition!