Diabetics using insulin for muscle gain?

Options
Hey guys,
I am a somewhat recently diagnosed diabetic and I have been reading all of the conversations on here about type 1... And everyone is saying that they want to lose weight and have a hard time with it. I'm curious to know if anyone is using insulin to try to gain muscle, being that it is a hormone and can open up both your fat and muscle cells. Since being diagnosed, I have taken this as an advantage in the gym.

Replies

• ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My two cents: Toying around with insulin dosing for the purpose of hypertrophy as a somewhat new diabetic is a recipe for potential disaster. Be careful.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am very confused with this. I have been a type I diabetic for 31 years and have NEVER heard of something this preposterous. PLEASE seek medical advice on this. Playing with the hormone insulin can be deadly. Insulin may be a hormone, but it works to decrease the blood sugar. Sugar, or glucose, in the blood stream is essential for life. Deplete that glucose and you WILL suffer convulsions, heart attack, and almost definitely death. I've been there. I know firsthand what screwing around with insulin can and will do. PLEASE seek medical advice on this!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I would not use insulin for anything other than its intended purpose...ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE DIABETIC. You can't afford to be playing with your blood sugars like that.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Are you gunning for a $1 million prize at Mr. Olympia? If so, maybe risking your life trying to use insulin for nutrient shuttling makes sense, but even then I'd say no, though that's just, like, my opinion man. Trying to do it to be the most impressive lifter at your local gym? Really?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I agree dont use it for anything other than what its intended uses are. if you want to build muscle do it the right way. you are risking your organs as well if you use more or less insulin than your body needs.Ive seen what too much insulin can do too a person and I have seen the effects of what too little can do as well and neither is pretty. why would you want to ruin your health for muscle gain? thats not any better than taking illegal "muscle builders" in my opinion.dont take it that way unless you have a death wish
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Take your insulin as prescribe and keep your blood sugar as controlled as possible. This is not something you want to mess around around with.

One of my friends (type 1) misused her insulin to control her weight. By the time she was only twenty she had lost all feeling in their feet because of diabetic neuropathy. She is now at a massive risk of needing amputation later down the line.

Take your time and do things the right way.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you're suggesting messing with your insulin dosage to gain some advantage in the gym, I simply shake my head at you because to put into text what I think of that would probably earn me some pretty bars over my avatar.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have a friend with a young son who is type 1. To think you can get some gain from your medication in terms of fitness would be enough to have the wrath of thousands of mothers and fathers brought upon you, and rightfully so. Also I do believe that using any prescribed medicine for ANYTHING other than its intended use is ILLEGAL.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Death from low blood sugar is silent and peaceful. As you drop in to coma zone you will be delirious and quite incapable of restoring yourself. Always carry emergency glucose with you and wear a medic alert bracelet at all times.
  • m95damico
    m95damico Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a no, nobody does that. I'm not saying that I alter my doses or anything, even though a lot of people do if you look it up. I just have noticed that when I eat more carbs, and then take more insulin for it, plus spend more time at the gym, I gain muscle much easier. I don't just take insulin and then go work out. And my A1C has been at 5.5 every reading since getting out of the hospital for the first time. I know what I'm doing
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    m95damico wrote: »
    I guess it's a no, nobody does that. I'm not saying that I alter my doses or anything, even though a lot of people do if you look it up. I just have noticed that when I eat more carbs, and then take more insulin for it, plus spend more time at the gym, I gain muscle much easier. I don't just take insulin and then go work out. And my A1C has been at 5.5 every reading since getting out of the hospital for the first time. I know what I'm doing

if you know what you are doing then why are you asking?

this is a horrible idea OP.

if you want to gain muscle eat more calories + get on a progressive lifting protein + hit macros/micros
  • m95damico
    m95damico Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly asking if people do that method exactly. I would just like to know if there are any type 1 diabetics who aren't on here asking for people to motivate them to lose weight. It's pathetic sounding when no matter what keyword you type in regarding diabetes, all of the conversations are regarding losing weight. And that's what makes stereotypes for diabetes, even with type 1
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly asking if people do that method exactly. I would just like to know if there are any type 1 diabetics who aren't on here asking for people to motivate them to lose weight. It's pathetic sounding when no matter what keyword you type in regarding diabetes, all of the conversations are regarding losing weight. And that's what makes stereotypes for diabetes, even with type 1

if you want to gain weight then you eat more calories to get into a one pound or .5 pound per week surplus, get on a progressive lifting program, and hit macros/micros . As you have a medical condition, you should consult with a physician or some kind of professional before bulking.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Funny how that works, huh?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a no, nobody does that. I'm not saying that I alter my doses or anything, even though a lot of people do if you look it up.

You can find all manner of people doing absolutely asinine things if you look it up. Doesn't mean you should do it, too.

Pretty sure most Darwin Award recipients got their ideas online. Just sayin'.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    This is possibly one of the most asinine ideas I've read on here. And that's saying a lot.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

No your title says "using insulin for muscle gain" not "Any other diabetics who are wanting to bulk?"

Notice there's no talk of using medication improperly.
    I'm curious to know if anyone is using insulin to try to gain muscle, being that it is a hormone and can open up both your fat and muscle cells.

Not asking if anyone is diabetic and bulking instead of losing. You're asking if they are USING INSULIN in a manner for which it is not prescribed. End of story. So what if there's a stereotype about diabetics needing to lose weight, because it beats the pants off diabetics trying to use their insulin as freaking juice to bulk themselves up.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This makes me sad/mad/frustrated. We have people like my 16 year old niece who is often sick because she can't get her diabetes under control through eating well or insulin...and to know there are those who are able to control their diabetes, but want to abuse the meds for muscle gains, of all things. So unfair.