Did you get used to new weight and eventually feel fat again?

Options
2»

Replies

• DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    yes ! but only when I pig out for a day or 2
  • thinnforever
    thinnforever Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started out at the same weight of 170. I am now at your weight of 130 pounds.
    I'm actually aiming to be down to 115.
    How tall are you? I'm 5'4, so I know 130 is still overweight for me. I felt 'skinny' too when I finally hit 130, but that only lasted for a few months. Now, reality hit and I know I still have some ways to go.
    Maybe, that's what's happening to you? I mean, there's nothing wrong with wanting to lose a few more pounds. The only time I'd start to worry is if someone is saying they're at like 100 pounds but still feel fat. Now, that's a problem. 100 pounds is the skinniest any woman should go. Unless, they're like 4'9. Then, maybe 95 pounds.
    130 is average, to me. But, again, I'm 5'4. If you're 5'8, then I'd say you could go as low as 120.
    Maybe, you're just 10 pounds overweight. If so, it's not anything to worry about. You're perfectly allowed to want to lose a little bit more if that's what you want.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm 5'4, so I know 130 is still overweight for me. I felt 'skinny' too when I finally hit 130, but that only lasted for a few months. Now, reality hit and I know I still have some ways to go.
    Maybe, that's what's happening to you? I mean, there's nothing wrong with wanting to lose a few more pounds. The only time I'd start to worry is if someone is saying they're at like 100 pounds but still feel fat. Now, that's a problem. 100 pounds is the skinniest any woman should go. Unless, they're like 4'9. Then, maybe 95 pounds.
    130 is average, to me. But, again, I'm 5'4. If you're 5'8, then I'd say you could go as low as 120.
    Maybe, you're just 10 pounds overweight. If so, it's not anything to worry about. You're perfectly allowed to want to lose a little bit more if that's what you want.

I'm 5'4" and know for a fact I'm not overweight at 130. That is in the middle of the healthy weight range.
  • thinnforever
    thinnforever Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and know for a fact I'm not overweight at 130. That is in the middle of the healthy weight range.

I'm not saying 130 is overweight for everyone. It really depends on the person. It depends on a lot of things - body fat percentage, muscle... etc. You look great at your weight, but I know for a fact I am not anywhere near being thin or fit.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I can kind of relate to this. I went from 166 - 135 in 7 months. I remember thinking I'd NEVER get to 135, and then I did. After a couple months, I decided I wanted to lose again. It's been tough, but I've managed to work my way down to 131. I'd like to get closer to 125 as I'm a competitive runner and would like to be light for running.

However, I do try to keep things in perspective! I've lost so much weight, am fitter than I've ever been, can fit into sizes 4-6 now (as opposed to 10-12 a year ago), and just ran a 23:31 5K last weekend! When I'm feeling down or less than perfect, I try to reflect on how far I've come. Good luck!
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I lost a lot of weight in my 20s. I still saw a fat person in the mirror.
    Now, I'm in my fifties and my goals had nothing to do with my looks. It's all about my health. Been maintaining and haven't felt that way this time around. I think as we age our perspective changes and our priorities alter. Focus on the big picture. For me, it's my blood sugar.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I didn't have that much to lose but always struggled with about 15 or so lbs. I'm 60 (soon 61) 5'2 1/2 and currently at 115. That doesn't sound too thin but it is for me. I have days that I still feel fat but my size 4 suits are swimming on me. its a constant struggle finding a balance even at my age ;-( you'll be fine. I swear it's the damn fitbit I never sit down LOL
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Have you stopped 'improving' your fitness? Even at 200lbs (down from 254 at Christmas), as long as I am working out, lifting, running, racquetball, I mostly feel like a rock star...its when I stop (even just on rest days) that I feel like I haven't lost 54lbs. I have to get on the scale to reassure myself that I am still awesome lol.

Eating foods that cause bloating does it too. If I FEEL fat, I know its because I ate too much or too much crap and/or vegetables lol. Or its shark week lol.

I know that I will always strive for 'ideal' - I will lift, run, racquetball, dragon boat paddle till I can't any longer. There will always be days that I rest or throw caution to the wind with eating. I will expect those days to feel like 'fat days'.

• RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    I have been maintaining a range of 129-132 for almost 2 months now. I have no intentions at all of going below 130, and just want to tone up more.

When I first hit 130 I felt SKINNY. I felt like I was one hot momma to be honest. Problem is, 2 months at this weight and now mentally I feel just as big as I did 7 months ago at 170 lbs. If I fluctuate from 130-132 because I cheated a little or whatever I feel like an absolute cow.

Is it typical to get used to your new weight eventually and feel big again? It's like my clothes fit the same, the scale stays in thr same 5 lb range and yet I swear my thighs look bigger, stomach is flabbier, etc.

Is this normal? It's to the point I'm contemplating going entirely back on a lower calorie range just to drop a few more pounds.

Perfectly normal! :)

I was elated when I reached goal weight. It literally felt like I had just won a lottery! But then I started seeing my other MFP friends still cataloging weight loss in my news feed and all of a sudden I didn't feel so elated or satisfied. The shiny new me lost some of its 'newness' & 'shininess.' I think it's just human nature to grow callous of what we have and take things for granted.

In maint, I think its important to specifically have other MFP friends in maint not losing ... at least psychologically for me this helped tremendously. Also I have a before / after photo of myself on my phone as a constant reminder of where I was compared to where I am now. This helped me a lot also.

Also, in maint I really had to refocus on other goals aside from the # on the scale. Like toning legs, shoulders, etc. By continuing to have fitness goals, the brain will get accustomed to focusing on the next goal instead of just weight alone.

It's a proactive, purposeful, conscious change in mindset from losing to maint that perhaps is the most challenging.

Best of luck to you!
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    indeed. at 137 I'm a little below my goal weight. Unfortunately, even at this weight certain "functions" one should experience as a female no longer occur, so I'll have to go back up a couple pounds. So my options are to feel fat and flabby and NOT mess up my hormones so much that I end up with early onset osteoporosis, or lose another 10 ish and brittle bones be damned. Of course, because you never look "toned" when you're covered in skin curtains I'd probably still feel fat anyway, so what's the point? Funnily enough, I never felt fat when I WAS fat.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but 130 is not overweight for 5'4.

I'm 5'5 and 128 and although I have my fat feeling days I am far far from "overweight." That's pretty comical...and sad!

Everyone is different but to suggest I'm 10 lbs overweight signals to me you have body dysmorphia issues.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal in April. I have to say I still feel awesome and can't believe it's me when I look in the mirror. Maybe it's because I've never been this small since junior high. I've been fat for 40 + years, so the excitement maybe will last longer for me. I plan on staying this way for another 40 years if I make it that long.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    And who doesn't???? "the last 5-10 lbs"
    And then there is that saying "you can never be too rich or too thin"
  • arditarose
    Options
    indeed. at 137 I'm a little below my goal weight. Unfortunately, even at this weight certain "functions" one should experience as a female no longer occur, so I'll have to go back up a couple pounds. So my options are to feel fat and flabby and NOT mess up my hormones so much that I end up with early onset osteoporosis, or lose another 10 ish and brittle bones be damned. Of course, because you never look "toned" when you're covered in skin curtains I'd probably still feel fat anyway, so what's the point? Funnily enough, I never felt fat when I WAS fat.

Do you strength train? That can help with that. Put a few more pounds back on and work on a recomp. You'll look slimmer but maintain your healthy weight, just changing your body fat %.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Yes. I got to my originial goal of 117. Then changed it to 115. Now at 115 I'm aiming for 110. I'm short though - only 5 feet, so 110 is still in the middle of my healthy range.

Prior to having kids I weighed around 120 and never felt fat. It wasn't until after having kids that I don't feel comfortable even at a lower weight.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Yes. Unfortunately.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Do you strength train? That can help with that. Put a few more pounds back on and work on a recomp. You'll look slimmer but maintain your healthy weight, just changing your body fat %.

would like to but i'm too poor for a gym membership so i can't do much more than stuff using my own body weight which doesn't seem to do much for me, unfortunately. i mean....the surgeon who yoinked my kidney said he "noticed my abs"....but i guess you have to go inside behind the skin drapery with a tiny camera to get any kind of decent look at 'em. lol.

• arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

would like to but i'm too poor for a gym membership so i can't do much more than stuff using my own body weight which doesn't seem to do much for me, unfortunately. i mean....the surgeon who yoinked my kidney said he "noticed my abs"....but i guess you have to go inside behind the skin drapery with a tiny camera to get any kind of decent look at 'em. lol.

Oh! Well, you don't need a gym membership. Your bodyweight program just needs to get progressively harder and harder!