Anyone else panting JUST from stretching?

misskirin
misskirin Posts: 6 Member
So I just began my Get Fit journey and really need to limber up my body before actual exercise. I stretched out for the length of five 70's songs (LOL) and I'm panting over here.
At least I have a good gauge to know if what I'm doing is working.
"When I can stretch for 20 minutes AND touch the floor with my fingertips while having straight legs WITHOUT pain"...I'll know I'm headed in the right direction :)

Replies

• Lifeonmars2015
    Lifeonmars2015 Posts: 667 Member
    stepping out in the right direction x
  • stephchadz
    stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
    Perhaps the panting is happening because you are over stretching yourself without being warm enough?

I am a dancer and have always been told to stretch less before exercise and more after. You get a better stretch after exercise because your muscles are warm, so if you are trying to increase flexibility that is your best bet. If you are going to stretch before hand, I usually don't stretch a certain muscle for more than 15 seconds. After working out I usually hold a stretch for 30 seconds to a minute.

Also, remember a stretch should never hurt. If it hurts ease up a bit or stop.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    please don't stretch cold muscles....that is a recipe for injury...you should only stretch warm muscles (especially for static stretches).

I usually stretch after my workouts, but at a minimum, make sure you warm up with some light cardio for 5-10 minutes before you do any stretching. :)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,782 Member
    Just my non-professional opinion, but perhaps brisk walking would do more for your flexibility than stretching as this point. Just put on your walking shoes, grab some earbuds and groove to your 70's tunes. A good walk will have your swinging your arms, moving your hips (increased flexibility in the hip flexors), long strides with help stretch the hamstrings and a focus on tightening the stomach will strengthen your core. After a short cool down, finish up with 15-30 seconds of light static stretches. Good luck!
  • misskirin
    I never knew that about stretching cold, thank you. I will put on the walking shoes.
  • misskirin
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    please don't stretch cold muscles....that is a recipe for injury...you should only stretch warm muscles (especially for static stretches).

What are 'static stretches'?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Static stretches are what you're doing. Just getting up and statically stretching a muscle that hasn't been warmed up yet. Many of us who train use dynamic stretching to prepare us for the day's workout. For example-if I'm squatting that day, I'll make sure I take a walk to the gym or do light cardio for 5 minutes, and then instead of touching my toes or holding a "static" stretch for x amount of seconds, I'll do leg kicks and hip circles.
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    edited July 2015
    My gosh I'm glad I opened this thread. I did not know it was better to stretch after exercise. This could be the reason my calves have been tender and sore the last couple of days. I've been stretching them in the mornings. I'll wait till after my workout from now on.