BREAKFAST

Options
Rene75Patricia
Rene75Patricia Posts: 39 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm interested to learn from people who lost weight how important breakfast really is. Or how early should you eat? What about late breakfasts?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant.

I like having breakfast.

Some others don't.

It doesn't matter.

It's just food.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is personal preference. There are people who have to eat as soon as they wake up. There are people who wait a couple hours. There are some who can't stomach eating in the morning or eating early causes them to snack/binge.
  • stephchadz
    stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    There isn't really a magic time that you should be eating. I enjoy eating breakfast so I usually eat it right when I get up (around 6:15). You don't have to eat it though, I know people who have instant breakfast shakes and do just fine. It's all a preference thing.

Sometimes when I sleep in I have late breakfast and I just eat more smaller snacks during the day instead of lunch, but that's just me. As long as you are trying to eat healthy the time of day doesn't really matter in my book.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference. I eat it, because I don't have the opportunity to eat again for another 5-7 hours (even though I'm not a breakfast person). It keeps me from turning into a irritable witch because I haven't eaten anything in 17 hours.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have to have a good breakfast to get me through until lunch time. But I lead an active life and have a high energy job. I usually have a 4-500 calorie breakfast around 5:45 am because I a getting ready to go to work. On my days off I eat later in the morning and timing more or less depends on what time I need to get out the door because I also work on weekends for a few hours doing a different high intensity job. Breakfast for those days can be anywhere from 300-600 calories depending on what my plans are for the day. If I have a rare day of noplace to go I usually eat very little in the morning and opt for a early lunch.

That's just what works for me. The thing is, you have to find what works for you. The only thing you need to worry about is making sure you use the calorie budget that you have in a way that allows you to eat well and feel good doing it.
  • kellydavis970
    kellydavis970 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not backing this up with science :smile: but the sooner you eat something in the morning, the sooner you get your metabolism up and running for the day, right? Another member called it... Priming your pipes?

I notice when I eat breakfast within an hour or two upon waking that I get hungrier sooner than if I don't eat breakfast at all. I believe this is because if I don't eat breakfast my metabolism stays in a 'holding pattern' from the night before.

Eat a good breakfast with lots of fiber and tell your metabolism that's it's time to start working for the day!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not backing this up with science :smile: but the sooner you eat something in the morning, the sooner you get your metabolism up and running for the day, right? Another member called it... Priming your pipes?

I notice when I eat breakfast within an hour or two upon waking that I get hungrier sooner than if I don't eat breakfast at all. I believe this is because if I don't eat breakfast my metabolism stays in a 'holding pattern' from the night before.

Eat a good breakfast with lots of fiber and tell your metabolism that's it's time to start working for the day!

I don't think that's how it works?
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do intermittent fasting for about 16 hours (including sleep). This was not really intentional, I just realised that I never eat breakfast and have quite a late lunch so it kind of works out that way. I still enjoy "breakfast foods" (cereal, porridge, eggs, sausages etc), but I don't eat them of a morning. I consume my 3000 cals in an 8 hour window.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

In for a good pipe priming.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

At least you backed it up with Bro Science though. I respect that. :)
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

I second this! I don't think you should skip breakfast or prolong it for any reason.

I exercise in the morning so I split my breakfast. Today it was a piece of toast with PB before my workout then egg whites and roasted sweet potatoes after my workout.

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    For me, egg white veggie omelette or Greek yogurt with fruit. Sometimes just fruit if I know I'll get an earlier lunch. The key for me is get enough protein into me so I don't snack before lunch or pig out at lunch. I'm not a fan of skipping breakfast.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast and it's not for any reason other than I'm not a "wake up and eat" person. I get up around 6-7ish and go exercise around 9. I don't usually eat until around noon-ish. But like a previous poster, I consume all my calories in a 9 hour window. Between noon and 9pm.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I exercise late morning on a completely empty stomach. Hasn't hurt me. (shrugs)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you want breakfast, eat breakfast. Doesn't matter how early or late you eat it. Neither is better than the other.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    They say a fiber-filled breakfast (6g or more) is good for weight loss, so I switched to it to see how I'd do. (I have had lots of weight to lose and enjoy trying anything that doesn't mess with my overall plan...I've tried some very dumb things, too, lol.)

I like it. I was always a Skip Breakfast kind of gal, but I do notice that I feel a little better when I have the breakfast. A little more oomph, KWIM? So, I've stuck with it. That's more than I can say for most of the things I tried!!!

I don't have to save calories for late evenings, though. I kicked the nighttime munchies ages ago.

Thumbs up on breakfast for me! :)
  • Dex37
    Dex37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I hate feeling hungry. I eat breakfast and 4 other meals, each containing about 500calories, throughout the day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

Metabolism rises once you get out of bed. So the myth behind eating breakfast to "jumpstart" metabolism really isn't supported by science. Cereal and sellers of breakfast, yes.

Breakfast is personal preference. Some can do without it, some can't. Just like some like Zumba and others like lifting. If one is getting in their correct macro/micro nutrients for the day and staying within a reasonable calorie intake, meal timing doesn't matter much at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Dex37
    Dex37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Everybody eats breakfast though. It doesn't matter what time of day it is. The first meal of the day is breakfast.