Thoughts on Planet Fitness?

Options
I've heard really mixed things, but it's 100' from my condo and has some really cool looking machines. Anyone have thoughts? at 10 bucks a month it seems like a good value.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally, here, I drive further to avoid it, but that's because I want to work out, not be at the local meat market.
  • trippedwire
    trippedwire Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    for 10 bucks a month you can't beat it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There's no long term contract, right? Give it a shot! I've taken advantage of the free day or week of every gym in my area.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    JayThomas2 wrote: »
    I've heard really mixed things, but it's 100' from my condo and has some really cool looking machines. Anyone have thoughts? at 10 bucks a month it seems like a good value.

If you've never lifted, just want to use a treadmill or don't want to spend the money, it's fine. Once you start lifting you will most likely want to gravitate to free weights and PF isn't a real good environment for that.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I love it. I've been regularly going for a year now. They have some great machines and I've worked with their trainers several times.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    The gyms are independently owned so each one is going to be different. Go check yours out and see if it has the equipment that you need. Some don't have squat racks or free weights. If the equipment your local gym offers can help you meet your goals, go for it. It's a pretty cheap fitness center.

I used to be a member but found I outgrew what my gym had to offer rather quickly. They also remodeled our gym and removed the free weights so mine had nothing to offer.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you just want some cardio and weight machines and don't care too much about the place, it's fine...and it's cheap.

I have some cotton shorts that I wear all the time, in various colors. When I wore them in blue, they wouldn't let me stay, they said they "looked too much like denim" and that while the other colors were fine, the blue ones weren't. There is a rule against wearing denim (why, I dunno) and this translated into a rule against something that looked too much like it.

It pissed me off.

I'm not much for indoor workouts, anyway, but even if I'd kept a gym membership, it wouldn't have been there.

Lifetime Fitness needs to expand. If they were everywhere, the only people who wouldn't go there would be the ones who couldn't afford it (and maybe weight lifters, I don't know if they have what weight lifters need - they probably do, though.). Lifetime Fitness is what a gym ought to be.

But PF is okay if you want a cheap place for cardio and weight machines.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If you just want some cardio and weight machines and don't care too much about the place, it's fine...and it's cheap.

I have some cotton shorts that I wear all the time, in various colors. When I wore them in blue, they wouldn't let me stay, they said they "looked too much like denim" and that while the other colors were fine, the blue ones weren't. There is a rule against wearing denim (why, I dunno) and this translated into a rule against something that looked too much like it.

It pissed me off.

I'm not much for indoor workouts, anyway, but even if I'd kept a gym membership, it wouldn't have been there.

Lifetime Fitness needs to expand. If they were everywhere, the only people who wouldn't go there would be the ones who couldn't afford it (and maybe weight lifters, I don't know if they have what weight lifters need - they probably do, though.). Lifetime Fitness is what a gym ought to be.

I've been in a couple lifetime fitness location personally not impressed. My local fitness center imo is much better.

Just the reason you need to look at the place and compare to your needs.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

It pissed me off.

I've been in a couple lifetime fitness location personally not impressed. My local fitness center imo is much better.

I adored Lifetime Fitness. It's so clean! The people are so nice! They hand you towels and on occasion, I'd step off the machine and when they gave me my towel, they said they'd clean it for me. They had all the things in the changing and shower areas that I could want. I didn't have to bring anything but a change of clothes and a a brush. There was never a wait. They had all the classes, people to help, a place to eat if I wanted a salad.

And it didn't smell bad.

What did you get in your place that you didn't get at Lifetime?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I heard they don't let you dead lift? Would not work for me. Also, if that lunk alarm ever went off because someone sighed loudly, and I was mid squat-I might freak out.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

It pissed me off.

I adored Lifetime Fitness. It's so clean! The people are so nice! They hand you towels and on occasion, I'd step off the machine and when they gave me my towel, they said they'd clean it for me. They had all the things in the changing and shower areas that I could want. I didn't have to bring anything but a change of clothes and a a brush. There was never a wait. They had all the classes, people to help, a place to eat if I wanted a salad.

And it didn't smell bad.

Actually resistance training equipment. My gym has a lifting platform with bumper plates a prowler sled and a place to push and pull it, power cages that would be at home in an NFL weight room, battling ropes, heavy kettlebells, etc.

The things you mention, people handing you towels, stuff in the showers etc don't have anything to do with actually working out

Each to his/her own.
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I toured the one in my neighborhood and immediately decided that it wasn't for me when the tour guide immediately started telling me about how they gave members free donuts and free pizza on certain days of the week/month. :/
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    If you aren't doing SERIOUS weightlifting right now, I'd go for it for the distance and cardio machines. I'm not a PF fan, but $10 a month and a short walk away? I'd do it.
  • Kalikel
    edited July 2015
    Options

It pissed me off.

And it didn't smell bad.

Actually resistance training equipment. My gym has a lifting platform with bumper plates a prowler sled and a place to push and pull it, power cages that would be at home in an NFL weight room, battling ropes, heavy kettlebells, etc.

The things you mention, people handing you towels, stuff in the showers etc don't have anything to do with actually working out

Each to his/her own.
    Yeah, I never went into the weight lifting rooms or area...not even sure I ever saw it. I don't know if it's the place for weight lifters. But it's heaven for everyone else...especially compared to PF.

The surroundings and service aren't necessary to get a good workout. You can do that in any gym...or even outside of a gym.

But it's a nice touch. And the staff - couldn't beat those guys. Nice, pleasant, friendly without the phony, helpful. Top notch, those people.

Indoor and outdoor pools was nice, too, because in the summer, lots of us like to swim outside.

As soon as it opened where I was, everyone I knew switched to it. Within months. People who were paid up at Bally's or wherever didn't even wait until their memberships ran out. They just quit those places and went to Lifetime.

They might not have all the weight lifting stuff, but it's a wonderful place for the rest of us! :)
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    JayThomas2 wrote: »

You do what it takes to make you work out! I say give it a try!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It's nice. Go!
  • Packerjohn
    Options

It pissed me off.

And it didn't smell bad.

Each to his/her own.
    Yeah, I never went into the weight lifting rooms or area...not even sure I ever saw it. I don't know if it's the place for weight lifters. But it's heaven for everyone else...especially compared to PF.

The surroundings and service aren't necessary to get a good workout. You can do that in any gym...or even outside of a gym.

But it's a nice touch. And the staff - couldn't beat those guys. Nice, pleasant, friendly without the phony, helpful. Top notch, those people.

Indoor and outdoor pools was nice, too, because in the summer, lots of us like to swim outside.

As soon as it opened where I was, everyone I knew switched to it. Within months. People who were paid up at Bally's or wherever didn't even wait until their memberships ran out. They just quit those places and went to Lifetime.

They might not have all the weight lifting stuff, but it's a wonderful place for the rest of us! :)

Glad you found someplace you like. Just need to look around there is something out there for everyone.