Hi everyone!

Options
I've been using this app for about a month and decided I should introduce myself! A month ago after a visit to the cardiologist I realized I needed to get serious about my health. I am borderline diabetic and triglycerides are double what they should be. I am determined to not go on medications.

So I am using the app to watch my sugar, carbs and calories. I've cut out all processed foods, added sugar and bad carbs. And I have been walking 8-10 miles a week (about 2 miles 5 days a week.) I've lost 8lbs!

I keep telling everyone it's not a diet just choosing to be healthy! ;-)

Replies

• msjanjan337
    msjanjan337 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sharon, Good Luck to you. So proud of your accomplishments so far. Choosing to look at your changes as a lifestyle change and not a diet is certainly a step in the right direction. A lifestyle change is something we 'choose' to do and want to do but a 'diet' now that is always meant doing without and a very temporary thing. We are denying ourselves things we love and it feels like a punishment. Unless we like punishment we cannot do this very long, and that is why they don't work, well, not as a permanent solution anyway. You and I have many things in common. Our health is suffering and I am already on meds for blood pressure. I am pre diabetic. So far my cholesterol is healthy but everything else is suffering. It looks as though I maybe older than you and with much more weight to lose but that doesn't decrease you struggle. I have breathing issues, which makes it harder to exercise, extreme fatigue, and severe lower leg swelling. So here you are in the future had you not decided to make these wonderful lifestyle changes. I will keep cheering you on and hope you will do the same for me. If you ever need someone to talk to, just shoot me an email. GOOD LUCK. I will keep checking on you!
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much Msjanjan. Your encouragement and cheering on brought a smile to my face. I debated on whether or not I should even "join" any community discussion but realized that we really can't do this alone. We need other like minded people who understand. So thank you!

I am so sorry to hear about the struggles with your health. I keep saying that getting old just isn't fun! I realize your health may be worse than mine but I want you to know that I do understand. I live with chronic pain which often makes exercising hard. About the only thing I can do that does not make things worse is walk, so that is what I do. So many days I don't feel like it though, it's hard, but I choose to do it anyway. But honestly I lack discipline and often give up too easily. I've done it before, I just hope I stick with it this time.

Your goals may seem impossible and it may seem too hard, but just focus on little steps. Just focus on today. Make healthier food choices today. Exercise however you are able. On my worst pain days I tell myself 5 minutes a couple times a day is better than nothing. You can to this! Keep thinking of those grandbabies!
  • templeton321
    templeton321 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had this app for over a year and the only thing I used it for was to track my workouts. I just started 5 days ago with the food diary and also the weight diary. I gained 9.5 since my entry last year so... Here I am. I have always kept my body issues and weight concerns a secret. I tried to put on the face that I was happy being me but the only person I was hurting with that attitude was myself. I am approximately 100 pounds overweight and that is actually the first time I have stated that to anyone other than my physician. I've tried to lose weight before, hell my whole life off and on but I feel different this time. I'm not keeping secrets. I'm not hiding the struggles and I actually talked to my husband about it. I kept my being 100 pounds overweight from him too. (Like his eyes are broken, lol If I didn't admit it out loud than its not real). He has only known me heavy and he loves me no matter what. We've been married almost 14 years now and next month I'll be 45. I have finally said out loud that I just can't continue to carry all this weight around.

I've always been healthy and active but overweight. Now that peri menopause has kicked in, carrying all this around is tiring. I have been a hairstylist my entire adult life and I currently opened my own salon. As I get older this type of work is draining me and my body hurts. The weight makes it so much harder than it has to be. Anyway, if you're interested go ahead and add me. I would love to encourage and be helpful for others. And take encouragement as well.