Eggs

Options
How should I log my scrambled eggs? Should I weigh them raw, or weigh them cooked? Up until now I have been logging them as scrambled, but there is a large calorie and fat difference when compared to the data entry for raw eggs. I'm assuming that some of the water content is evaporated and maybe that explains the difference? How do you log yours?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    How should I log my scrambled eggs? Should I weigh them raw, or weigh them cooked? Up until now I have been logging them as scrambled, but there is a large calorie and fat difference when compared to the data entry for raw eggs. I'm assuming that some of the water content is evaporated and maybe that explains the difference? How do you log yours?

But water has no calories. Maybe some of the scrambled egg entries have milk added or something like that.
  • CharlotteRose82
    CharlotteRose82 Posts: 53 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I log all my eggs as raw, 66 calories per medium egg, this for me matches the nutrition on the label. I use the same info if my eggs scrambled, boiled or poached......now I'm questioning this. I just presumed unless something is added eg milk or butter the calories would stay the same
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I weight my eggs and in the shell and log.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I Weighed mine for a few weeks, but found that they averaged out to what the nutrition label said. Now I don't bother.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    This is a personal decision. I weigh mine after they're scrambled and log them as scrambled eggs. I like to log what I'm eating. :)

Some people prefer to weigh their eggs and meats before they cook them and log them as raw, though. Whatever floats your boat!
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Ok. Mine are from backyard chickens, so they are all varying sizes with different shell weights. I'll stick with logging them raw then (which never occurred to me before today!)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Ok. Mine are from backyard chickens, so they are all varying sizes with different shell weights. I'll stick with logging them raw then (which never occurred to me before today!)

Ya, the farm stand eggs I buy are all varying sizes as well, so I do an entry for the raw eggs plus whatever else goes in. Today it was onions, red peppers, and green peppers.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Weigh raw, out of shell.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Weigh raw, out of shell.

This

• Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I weigh the eggs raw and log them, and then measure the milk and log that. Save it as a meal so you can always go back to it :) But things that have more than 1 ingredient I always log each ingredient separately.
  • 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I log all my eggs as raw, 66 calories per medium egg, this for me matches the nutrition on the label. I use the same info if my eggs scrambled, boiled or poached......now I'm questioning this. I just presumed unless something is added eg milk or butter the calories would stay the same

Don't question yourself, you are right! Unless you are adding milk, butter etc to the eggs the calories do stay the same no matter how you cook them. Some people add things like 'scrambled egg' to the database but this could have both milk and butter added (or anything they fancy for that matter). I just log the eggs, milk and butter amounts separately.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    What is your recipe for scrambled eggs?

Is it just fried eggs but all scrambled up? Or do you add milk etc?

I would probably record it all separately as raw ingredients.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I weigh the egg, crack it in the pan, weigh the shell and use the final weight. I log it as raw egg and however many grams of butter I used to scramble it (and whatever else I might add). All separate.
    Works for me. Find out what works for you :smile:
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Weigh raw, out of shell.

^This.

Put the bowl on the scale, tare the scale. Crack the eggs into the bowl, weigh the eggs.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I log the eggs, milk (if I use it), and butter all separately. I weigh them before any cooking.

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I just log whole, raw eggs, and/or egg whites. I can scramble 1 whole egg plus 2 more whites and not tell the difference except in the calories. I just give my skillet a quick olive oil spray, I never use butter. I hoard my calories for ice cream :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    crack it, weigh it, cook it. also weigh butter or oil you cook it with
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    We use olive oil for our eggs (Spanish influence, I guess). I'm very lazy about logging it: just log the MFP entry for raw large egg (though I'm finishing up a carton of jumbo eggs, so I've been logging that), and a teaspoon of olive oil, which I log as half a tablespoon. Egg whisked, not beaten. No dairy. No salt, but a generous helping of Mama or Papa Dash, and black pepper.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I weigh my eggs raw and log them as such, then use a separate entry for the butter or oil I use to cook them in.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Define "medium".

Do you weigh your eggs?

According to nutritional information on the carton, a large egg (56 grams) is supposed to have 70 calories. Nope. Weigh that puppy prior to cookie and it very often is more than 56 grams, therefore more calories.