Is there such a thing as a new baseline wt?

Options
Soyviz
Soyviz Posts: 14 Member
Hi All-- just joined MFP 11 days ago. I gained 15 lb in 2 mos in late 2014; been at 160, 5 feet and 5.5 in since. 11 days ago I started working out strenuously 300 mins weekly, started 1232 daily cal diet (creeps up to about 1500 w/exercise). Also going to buy a digital food scale since a lot of posts seem to recommend. So I need stick with new regimen for a while to see weight loss, but I worry that with age (45) my body has chosen a new baseline weight; was 145-150 for years and could it now be 160 due to slower metabolism and aging process? Feeling worried.

Replies

• Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi there.... 54 here and had the weight creep up over the past few years myself. When I gained10 lbs last year with no change in my eating habits I got worried about that too. The good news is I knocked off a total of 30 lbs over 6 months and am working on maintenance now. There was a thread on metabolism a few weeks back. I don't recall the exact calculations but I think it turned out to be fairly negligible as opposed to what I thought it would be LOL. You could use the search function on the forum and take a peek at it.

Definitely go the food scale route. Good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Soyviz wrote: »
    Hi All-- just joined MFP 11 days ago. I gained 15 lb in 2 mos in late 2014; been at 160, 5 feet and 5.5 in since. 11 days ago I started working out strenuously 300 mins weekly, started 1232 daily cal diet (creeps up to about 1500 w/exercise). Also going to buy a digital food scale since a lot of posts seem to recommend. So I need stick with new regimen for a while to see weight loss, but I worry that with age (45) my body has chosen a new baseline weight; was 145-150 for years and could it now be 160 due to slower metabolism and aging process? Feeling worried.

Your metabolism slows because you've lost muscle mass...easy fix ..start a progressive lifting programme

Over time the caloric difference is marginal ..around 100 calories a day difference per decade (so a small-medium sized banana)... Again due to lower activity levels / muscle mass

Scale weight doesn't matter, it is how your body looks at a weight matters. Scale weight varies with water retention in body and muscle mass

I often go on ideal weight for height threads and see people aiming for 20-30lbs less than my current weight (I'm at goal and have been since Feb) and I just think how bad my body would look at that lower weight ...cos it's body composition not scale weight that matters

I'm 48..I've lost around 55lbs in the last year ..I'm around 160lbs and in a US size 6-8 ...I'm probably 10lbs heavier than my lowest ever adult lifetime weight but my body is much better...cos muscles

Don't let your age be an excuse