Diet or Deception: The Problem with Nutrition Secrets

Options
Psychgrrl
Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
I love this guy's stuff. He never advocates absolutes or crazy fads. It drives him nuts that some celeb says they lost weight eliminating wheat (no health considerations) and then the masses follow. He says since he eats cheesecake (works it into his diet) and has abs, would it be accurate to say eating cheesecake will give you abs? Yeah ... NO, he says.

http://www.bornfitness.com/diet-or-deception-the-problem-with-nutrition-secrets/

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone with some sense.

There's a lot of things celebrities spout off on that people follow to their detriment. Anti-vaxxers and people advocating against antidepressants would be among them.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Sounds like someone with some sense.

There's a lot of things celebrities spout off on that people follow to their detriment. Anti-vaxxers and people advocating against antidepressants would be among them.

On the other hand, there are people like Angelina Jolie and Suzanne Somers who, through their respective prophylactic mastectomy and public use of HRT, have probably done a great deal of good to make women more aware of options that may prolong life.

If I was more enterprising, I'd read the tabloids and then sell whatever the celebrities are eating this week as some amazing new breakthrough diet. The best thing about diets is we can have brand new breakthroughs ever week!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I love this guy's stuff. He never advocates absolutes or crazy fads. It drives him nuts that some celeb says they lost weight eliminating wheat (no health considerations) and then the masses follow. He says since he eats cheesecake (works it into his diet) and has abs, would it be accurate to say eating cheesecake will give you abs? Yeah ... NO, he says.

http://www.bornfitness.com/diet-or-deception-the-problem-with-nutrition-secrets/
    It unfortunately plays really well into human psychology. We're far more likely to take evidence based on liking the presenter with an anecdote than we are to evidence in tabulated rows of data presented by thousands of impersonal scientists in lab coats.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Ever since I cut bullsh!t from my diet, I've never felt better!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Haven't read it yet but that author writes some pretty solid stuff overall.