Keep failing and going nowhere, help? (long & chaos post)

Options
2»

Replies

• LizaJo65
    LizaJo65 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi your amazing you've realised you've a problem and shared it. We can support you from afar and advise you with your diet and exercise and everyone will. However you need to go and see your Doctor and tell he or she what you have told us, they will refer you to the right places and or people to help you with your health. Remember mental Heath and physical health can both not be good at times and both can be treated. Be lucky
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    2 months ago I was in the hospital for depression/suicidal thoughts. There was no way I could concentrate on my physical health when I didn't care about anything.

Please talk to your doctor about your depression. If the doctor is no help, you said you're in college and most have some form of conseling. Focus on your mental health. Medication does help but is not the only way. I did not go on meds but just having someone I could "dump" my thoughts and feelings on and work with frequently helped tremendously. Without help there was no way I could just "snap out of it" on my own.

I found once I started to actually enjoy life again, I cared more about about making it healthier so I could enjoy it. It becomes an uphill spiral.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What they all said you need to get professional help and support because you have a number of issues that need dealing with.

Weight loss by itself is straightforward, but it is not as important as dealing with the other issues you highlighted. You need to tell your Dr about them.

Weight loss itself is straight forward and it helps if you understand how it worksso you cna go about losing in an effective way. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

If you are failing then take a step back, learn the above and then start your journey with small achievable targets. You need to be patient and not expect too much of the progress or of yourself, dont demonise food, dont get frustrated and don beat yourself up.

Targets can be going for a short walk each day or just logging your food. Once you become consistent then you cna reduce the calories closer to your set traget and can increase the exercise gradually. You need to be patient and realistic, but eventually you will make progress and that will make you feel better. Exercise can be a good tonic for depression.

Good luck

ps there are a number of groups for people with thyroid problems and depression on MFP.
  • Fulcherj1
    Fulcherj1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    GuddaB wrote: »
    Thanks for the help everyone.
    Not really sure about getting help about the depression since It´s way too expensive in my country and only way would be medication, so ill just try focusing on the exercising and try getting back .... :/
    oh well....

Would you mind sharing what country you live in? Some of us may be familiar with the resources available to you there or would be willing to do some research.

Often when someone is suffering from depression it can seem like an insurmountable task to just find a professional to help you. With that being said, I am hoping that even if mental health services are sparse wherever you live that there is still some access (that is affordable!) that we could direct you to.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    GuddaB wrote: »
    Thanks for the help everyone.
    Not really sure about getting help about the depression since It´s way too expensive in my country and only way would be medication, so ill just try focusing on the exercising and try getting back .... :/
    oh well....

Which country? Expensive or not then depression and suicudal thoughts if we are to take you seriously is far more of a pressing issue for you than weight loss. If you cannot afford a Dr then you should contact a mental helath charity or support group to get you the advice you need. You need to take it seriously.

If your depression is mild, then its possible to use exercise, but if its more than that you should get help.
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/depression/Pages/Introduction.aspx
    http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/depression.aspx