New Moms, Moms with a History of Eating Disorders & "Older" Moms: Looking for Support

Options
Tabbycat00
Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
Hey, I've been on and off MyFitnessPal for years but I recently came back to help build a support group for after I give birth in August. This will be my first (and only) child so I'm not sure what to expect after delivery. My doctor and my family have been very "proud" of my weight gain throughout my pregnancy since I've had a history of anorexia but I'm concerned with reverting to former habits after my daughter is born. It doesn't help that people will habitually tell me things like:
- Your body will never be the same.
- You'll never fit into your skinny jeans again.
- It took nine months to put it on, it'll take nine months to take it off.
- You're close to 40, you'll never weigh under 100 lbs. again. Get used to it.

I've been vilified by co-workers for even caring what will happen to my figure after birth. "It's not about you, you shouldn't care about the weight." or even "You're going to make your daughter anorexic". I just need to feel as though there is hope and that with proper eating and regular workouts I'll be able to return to a body I'm confident living in. I want my daughter to grow up with a strong and confident mother who takes good care of herself and lives a healthy lifestyle. Before becoming pregnant I'd maintained 95 lbs. for about 17 years and had made peace with my body. I'm not as concerned with the number so much as I am with that confidence and contentment. Some things that you should know about me: I'm a Christian, married, late 30s, employed full-time, and a post-graduate student. I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant with a baby girl and have put on 20 lbs. so far (115). I've worked out my entire pregnancy under my doctor's care. I'd worked as a fitness instructor and model in the past but gave up teaching classes when I found out I was pregnant because it was too much with everything else I had going on.

I'm looking for support from women who have been where I am or who understand where I'm coming from and who won't judge me.

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Wow big post there :) in some ways we have some similarities. I have one (and only - don't want any more) daughter and I am sick of workmates telling me that I'm now a mother so I do t need to look like I used to yadda yadda. I am turning 39 on Tuesday and am married.

My daughter is 4. I put a stack of kilos when pregnant - like 12 or 15 (I tend to forget unpleasant things). I still have 5 to lose to get to 60k which is what I will be happy with.

As for body changing forever - sorry it will! Not in terms of it never getting fit/slim again, but things that people don't talk about change like breasts, wider hips, stuff inside if you have a natural birth ...

It's taking me forever to get back into some semblance of shape - it's been almost 6 months now. Doing mainly weight training and have a personalised diet plan from a trainer.

I don't have history of eating disorders but I am an emotional eater in terms of overeating. I find it extremely hard to eat low caloric diet. 1500 for me is already a struggle.

Anyway, I hope it all goes well for you! :)
  • onceuponamidnight
    onceuponamidnight Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi there! Well done you for the weight gain! And don't worry about the skinny jeans - I definitely know a lot of moms who got fitter, leaner and stronger after their first kid.

While I'm not a mom I'm in the planning stages with hubby, and have many moms around me. About 80/90% of the ones I know have developed sexier bodies after birth! This may be you too. :)

Perhaps it's because I've had bothersome eating issues in the past, or because the ppl I know take up the challenge of doing what's right for them instead of caring about the criticism of others, but we're all very interested in long term healthy eating + body image and are either veggie or paleo/keto foodies with yoga or Crossfit or some regular fitness backgrounds. Some have slim six packs and some are recovering from C sections. One I know was a Crossfit lover and had a six pack ten days after giving birth. And yup, fit into her normal jeans again. She was 36?

Do what's right for you and don't bother listening to critics. They'll always have something to say and it's rarely very helpful.
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks:) I keep trying to tell myself these things. It's just nice to hear it.
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been on and off MyFitnessPal for years but I recently came back to help build a support group for after I give birth in August. This will be my first (and only) child so I'm not sure what to expect after delivery. My doctor and my family have been very "proud" of my weight gain throughout my pregnancy since I've had a history of anorexia but I'm concerned with reverting to former habits after my daughter is born. It doesn't help that people will habitually tell me things like:
    - Your body will never be the same.
    - You'll never fit into your skinny jeans again.
    - It took nine months to put it on, it'll take nine months to take it off.
    - You're close to 40, you'll never weigh under 100 lbs. again. Get used to it.

I've been vilified by co-workers for even caring what will happen to my figure after birth. "It's not about you, you shouldn't care about the weight." or even "You're going to make your daughter anorexic". I just need to feel as though there is hope and that with proper eating and regular workouts I'll be able to return to a body I'm confident living in. I want my daughter to grow up with a strong and confident mother who takes good care of herself and lives a healthy lifestyle. Before becoming pregnant I'd maintained 95 lbs. for about 17 years and had made peace with my body. I'm not as concerned with the number so much as I am with that confidence and contentment. Some things that you should know about me: I'm a Christian, married, late 30s, employed full-time, and a post-graduate student. I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant with a baby girl and have put on 20 lbs. so far (115). I've worked out my entire pregnancy under my doctor's care. I'd worked as a fitness instructor and model in the past but gave up teaching classes when I found out I was pregnant because it was too much with everything else I had going on.

I'm looking for support from women who have been where I am or who understand where I'm coming from and who won't judge me.

You sound amazing and gone through a lot. Always here for support. We got your back!
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm a 33 year old mom of 2; an 8 year old boy and 3 year old girl. Binge eater since age 8. My single parent father died 6 days before my son was born and for the next 2 years I became orthorexic. I have now, at 33, figured out how to deal with my disordered eating, unhealthy relationship with food, and depression from binge eating. Just a little background to let you know, you are not alone!
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Oh and your body can be better after baby than before...mine sure is!