Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Almost 60 year old female with about 100 lbs to lose with Disabilities seeking like folks

Hi, long term member here lost lots of weight back in 2012 but developed a Neurological Disorder called Cervical Dystonia that caused me to have to stop working, really limited my activity, and causes me to fall when my Dystonia is at its worst. Since developing this I have gained about 70 lbs. Well I tried restarting here without friends for support and it is not working!

I am hoping to find people that are doing the MFP without all the super high activity, People my age and older that have physical problems that do not want to be envious and discouraged by the 20-40 somethings that are lucky enough to be able to run, walk long distances,and don't have health issues! I am happy for them but they do not get it. I do n't want to keep hearing I am not moving enough wen I end up unable to leave my bed for days on end... I want friends that get it!

Sorry about the long rant

Carol

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    I did a quick search and found that you can do exercises that work on neck muscles strength and flexibility. Also, stress management techniques, and even use of a neck brace.

I would work with your doctor to come up with a plan that lays out not only exercises that you can do, but theriputic things you can do for your condition.

Hope this is helpful.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I did a quick search and found that you can do exercises that work on neck muscles strength and flexibility. Also, stress management techniques, and even use of a neck brace.

I would work with your doctor to come up with a plan that lays out not only exercises that you can do, but theriputic things you can do for your condition.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for looking, I have worked with my doctor and for me the exercises that work necks cause my condition to get worse. I have been to physical therapy on and off for several years as well until they gave up. My Neurologist just says to walk. I do that but with a total day of only up to 4 hours this limits me. After being out of bed for 4 hours and doing any activities including vacuuming, mopping, cooking, showering, getting dressed, etc I have little day left to do active things. I love to hike, but have fallen because my condition does not allow me to see the ground in front of my feet I have fallen so many times I have torn the meniscus in both knees. I am unable to lift or use my arms above shoulder level.

I think you were trying to help, but your quick search tells you about some people not all. I have lived with my condition for 3 years and trust me I am doing all my MD tells me to do.

What I am looking for is people with conditions that limit their activity but that have not given up!

Thank you for your effort to help!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Weight loss starts in the kitchen. Exercise is for health and helps with the deficit, but is unnecessary for weight loss. Good luck!
  • mccarol1956
    Thanks Lifting4Lis I agree. I am still looking for people for support that are in my general condition
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    As someone who has had a 2-level back fusion, brain surgery and still has limitations from my back, I do understand where you are coming from. It can be difficult to fight through the pain, and the fatigue, to still get to cardio.
    I can't do impact workouts because of my back, so I had to give up the running I used to love, and walking for extended periods of time is very painful. So I bought an elliptical. It's no-impact so a brilliant machine for anyone with back, hip or knee problems. If you have shoulder, neck and arm problems you don't have to use the arm swivels, but can hold the stationary hand grips and still get the benefit of the cardio work with the legs. There are also some stair climbers that move with your feet as you raise them so you don't have to do the work of lifting your legs to the next level and push off.
    Do remember that the exercise is going to help you get healthy in a fitness capacity, but in order to lose weight, you really need to focus on eating in moderation. Weigh all of your solid foods and measure all liquids, and stick to a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day for every pound per week you want to lose.
    Not being active should not be the cause of weight gain, nor stop you from losing weight. Even when my back and head stop me from working out, I can maintain my weight because I adjust my calorie intake.
  • mccarol1956
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    As someone who has had a 2-level back fusion, brain surgery and still has limitations from my back, I do understand where you are coming from. It can be difficult to fight through the pain, and the fatigue, to still get to cardio.
    I can't do impact workouts because of my back, so I had to give up the running I used to love, and walking for extended periods of time is very painful. So I bought an elliptical. It's no-impact so a brilliant machine for anyone with back, hip or knee problems. If you have shoulder, neck and arm problems you don't have to use the arm swivels, but can hold the stationary hand grips and still get the benefit of the cardio work with the legs. There are also some stair climbers that move with your feet as you raise them so you don't have to do the work of lifting your legs to the next level and push off.
    Do remember that the exercise is going to help you get healthy in a fitness capacity, but in order to lose weight, you really need to focus on eating in moderation. Weigh all of your solid foods and measure all liquids, and stick to a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day for every pound per week you want to lose.
    Not being active should not be the cause of weight gain, nor stop you from losing weight. Even when my back and head stop me from working out, I can maintain my weight because I adjust my calorie intake.

You are so right. I think that for a few years, the pain and depression stopped me from caring. I had lost almost everything that made me me. I had to leave my job as an ICU Rn that I loved, lost my home, my ability to hike for hours on end, many of my active friends, and most of all I lost my self esteem. I am in the process of fighting through all that and am starting again to care about myself. I think having like minded friends, friends with disabilities that prevent them from doing some things, but who want to begin again to take care of themselves will help keep me on track. I guess folks are misinterpreting what I am talking about here and what I am asking for! I appreciate all the advice! I will try to find an elliptical at a garage sale or something as it is a great idea! Thank youl
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    You are quite welcome. I do understand what you are going through. I had to leave my job as an RT/Cardiology Supervisor and can no longer work as well. Having a terminal diagnosis as well was tough to deal with. I struggled for a very long time with that and finally came to terms with it, and I am in a much better place today. Keep on fighting and reaching out, and I think you will get where you need to be.
  • mccarol1956
    I am so happy to see you have come to terms with it! This gives me hope for myself. I am at the beginning stages of accepting my disorder and my permanent limitations. The depression really took hold! It is getting better now slowly and I am more able to stand up again and fight for myself and my needs. As you have done I hope to be successful with reaching towards your goal.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    edited July 2015
    Feel free to friend me...I can get out of bed, I can sit for about an hour at a time, I can stand about 45 minutes at a time, on a good day I can sit in the shower or walk a few blocks. I have maybe 3 total hours of vertical time a day.

I am still losing the last few pieces of a life I worked hard for. I am 33. I have accepted my disability, am on medications as best as the drs are able to try to help me, and try to find one thing a day I can do to be successful. Any day out of bed is a good day.

As far as people your age and older with physical problems, you may reconsider that statement as a generalization of the grand sweeping sort. There are many many disabled persons on this site that are successful with weight loss and have limited or no activity regardless of age. I became medically disabled at 32, and have had many limiting health issues since 29. There are many out there with all sorts of varying disabling conditions that may have great advice or support for you. Some have had health conditions their whole lives, others are newly disabled, and others still are slowly becoming disabled. They all face similar challenges and have to adapt.

That being said, if you are looking for support from other disabled people with less than sedentary activity you may find we have many things in common. You may also find that age makes us not alike enough. You may find in terms of personal loss we are almost identical. I am working on losing 60 pounds, and am a bit over half way there.

I wish you success in your weight loss. It can be done. You will have to limit your calories to lose the weight, plain and simple. It will work when you are ready. I say that with love and support, as I truly and quite unfortunately "get it".
  • mccarol1956
    Feel free to friend me...I can get out of bed, I can sit for about an hour at a time, I can stand about 45 minutes at a time, on a good day I can sit in the shower or walk a few blocks. I have maybe 3 total hours of vertical time a day.

I am still losing the last few pieces of a life I worked hard for. I am 33. I have accepted my disability, am on medications as best as the drs are able to try to help me, and try to find one thing a day I can do to be successful. Any day out of bed is a good day.

As far as people your age and older with physical problems, you may reconsider that statement as a generalization of the grand sweeping sort. There are many many disabled persons on this site that are successful with weight loss and have limited or no activity regardless of age. I became medically disabled at 32, and have had many limiting health issues since 29. There are many out there with all sorts of varying disabling conditions that may have great advice or support for you. Some have had health conditions their whole lives, others are newly disabled, and others still are slowly becoming disabled. They all face similar challenges and have to adapt.

That being said, if you are looking for support from other disabled people with less than sedentary activity you may find we have many things in common. You may also find that age makes us not alike enough. You may find in terms of personal loss we are almost identical. I am working on losing 60 pounds, and am a bit over half way there.

I wish you success in your weight loss. It can be done. You will have to limit your calories to lose the weight, plain and simple. It will work when you are ready. I say that with love and support, as I truly and quite unfortunately "get it".

I did not mean to make a generalization at all. You are correct though that I did! For that I apologize. I was just looking for people with limits like ours that still have the want and need to lose weight.