4lbs in 1 week lost. Exercise questions

Options
Hi im Kristin. I am 24 years old and a Mom and Fiance. I spent half of my time cuddled up to my boys on the couch watching tv. But most of the time im cooking and cleaning. Ive been logging for 1 week today and have lost 4lbs. I am pretty much eating all the foods I love just logging them everyday. I started taking my Son out in his stroller for a hour walk then we go to the park so he can play. With the weather we have here in good old Ohio its not like we can walk everyday. Its rained almost everyday this summer. We've gotten to walk 3 times this week. MFP says I should be eating 1600 cals a day to lose .5lbs a week and to burn 1000 cals a week for exercise.

When I started this journey the first time a year ago. I could only lose 15lbs. The scale just stopped going down. I kept trying to lose weight for months with no success. So I ended up giving up and gained the whole 15lbs back. I literally hated looking at myself in the mirror.

I hate my arms and how big my shoulders are. Ive always hated my legs. Even at 90lbs I always thought I had big thighs and my butt is huge. My face is so puffy I wont even put my hair up anymore. Its always down and in my face. Im worried that the 4lbs I lost is due to my body finally getting the water it needs. Ive been drinking pop and only pop for the last 8 years. So im worried that since I got water the weight loss stops at 4lbs.

My Question is what are some good tips for exercising. I can workout 5 days a week. Just dont know what schedule to do or what exercises would be best. Like I said I am walking when I can.
Any tips for having a successful 60lbs weight loss is very helpful.

Also any Mommys in there 20's that would like a friend add me.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Any exercise you like is fine. Most of the weight loss will come from eating less, anyway.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Why can't you walk in the rain? Truly it is perfectly okay to get wet while exercising. It can even be quite enjoyable in the summer time.

Can you.....join a gym, take up yoga, martial arts, dancing, horseback riding lessons, get some exercise DVDs or even watch exercise programs on youtube....turn up the music and shake what ya got.... move.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Do activities you like and will actully do on a schedule that works for you.

I personally am just focusing on the food control for the time being. I am down 20lbs and have now added walks for my lunch breaks at work, have a family walk/hike once a week and plan to start resistance training next month. If I try to completely change everything I do at one I set myself up for failure because I have a all or nothing mentality when it comes to change.
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11 and my start weight was 185. Im to 181 now.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Im just worried that logging my calories and exercising wont be enough for me
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristin... I am 54 and just a scootch under 5' myself. Since December I have successfully lost 30 pounds and am working on upping my calories to find my ultimate maintenance number. For the first 15 pounds I only concentrated on weighing my food and logging, and bought a cheap pedometer to try to see what kind of steps I was getting every day. At the15 pound mark I added swimming once a week for the next 5 pounds then bumped that to twice a week. I also found I got 8-13k steps just going through my daily life.

Because of our height, our deficit is pretty small. The weight loss truly does come from the kitchen.... Doing some type of exercise helps you retain more muscle, which in turn helps you lose weight and buys you more calories to keep a decent deficit so you don't have to fall too low on calories. Believe me, the last 8 pounds were torturously slow...., about a half pound every two or three weeks :s. You just have to be patient and trust in the process.

My doctor told to try for 100g protein, 30-35% fats and let the carbs make up the rest. If I was going over on a macro to make it protein. I have seen similar advice echoed on the forum over these months.

Hope this helps
  • igottalose50
    igottalose50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hello im 25 mother of 3...i wanna lose about 50- 60 lbs so far ive lost 16 lbs in
    5 weeks ,doing mostly cardio some strenth.
    n measuring my food...feel free to add me!
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    I am just so scared that im going to stop losing. Im doing everything the same as I have been the first week.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi Kristin, you are doing great
    Weight loss start in the kitchen like others said

But exercise helps to get fit more active and makes you feel pretty good :)
    I walked a lot, i swim and i have some light weight i use too.

And with walking i used youtube video's ( dancing walking etc)
    Youtube has a lot of video's for excising. They are fun and help you to get fit.

keep going !
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    I am not giving up this time. No matter what.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    I am just so scared that im going to stop losing. Im doing everything the same as I have been the first week.

It wont stop as long as you are in deficit
    Be accurate as possible, like suggested before weigh everything on your food scale
    And you will lose weight

Be prepared that it will slow down..... a lot!
    The more you lose the slower it will go.
    But dont let that get you down. Just keep going :)

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Since weight loss comes down to CICO, logging your calories is all you need. Exercise is a bonus - many use it for becoming stronger, increasing their calorie deficit, and being more healthy overall. I'm 5'1 and lost 55 pounds total. Good luck with your journey; sounds like you're off to a great start.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Im going going....I love walking now. The first time walking almost killed me. We live in a apartment complex and in order to get out of our parking lot you have to walk a steep hill. We usually walk around 4 blocks turn around and walk back around them and come down the hill. Im starting some strength training today. My Mom gave me 20lb dumbells.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    you can even make a little game with your boys, since you love to watch tv with them.
    Get a youtube dance video and dance 20 or 30 minutes with them a couple times a week...big fun and you burn extra calories and some quality time with your boys.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Look into a progressive lifting program like SL 5x5 or NROLFW, in addition to eating at at a deficit.
    It's that simple.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options
    Just because I can see the possibility of frustration here.... you do gain and lose water weight on a regular basis due to salt intake, exercise changes, and hormonal fluctuations.

At your height your deficit will be small. The water fluctuations large. Single point of time data even 10 or 15 days apart cannot show you a 2lb loss when you may be dealing with 5lbs of water retention.

Do yourself a favour and use a website such as www.weightgrapher.com to record your weight.

Other options: happy scale on iPhone, www.trend weight.com either using a supported scale or by entering your weight through a free fitbit account, or your own spreadsheet.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thank you guys.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hey Kristin, I just wanted to tell you one more thing....... I am fully confident if you ever feel a little down on your progress, rather than giving up you could private message anyone of us that responded to you here..... @PAV8888 ,@theowlhousedexigns, @snickerscharlie , @lifting4lis, @lemonsnowdrop. or myself..... They are truly full of good information and ideas to get you through a slump :) Best wishes!! You are going to do it this time :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Co-sign. :)