Why does mfp used w fitbit reduce # of cals burned from exercise when sync at end of day?

I use fitbit one synced to mfp. When I get over 10k steps, mfp usually gives me extra calories when it syncs, about 200. But when I log in dinner and end the day, the 200 has often gone down, to about 170 or so. That's after I've added steps moving around in the evening up to 11k+ and after I've given myself the ability to eat back a few of those 200. Why does mfp change its mind about exercise calories even when my steps have gone up? Thanks for any insights.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    It's FitBit, not MFP. When you're active, FitBit assumes you're going to stay active for an extended period of time, so it estimates your daily burn total based on that, and you get your "credit" through MFP.

Obviously, you don't sustain that level of activity, so when the day is over, your calories are adjusted to your actual activity, not estimated.

When I used my FitBit with MFP, I'd always leave at least 100 calories of my "credit" uneaten just to be safe.
  • FitChickLifestyle
    FitChickLifestyle Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you! That is helpful to know. Do you know if fitbit is being accurate about intensity, such as does it count calories for 4k steps playing tennis which is more active than 4k steps intermittent walking during day? I never input Exercise since I am getting the Fitbit step credit but should I?
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    If you have negative adjustments activated, it will deduct to equal your fitbit calories burned.
  • FitChickLifestyle
    FitChickLifestyle Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks. Will try that.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Thank you! That is helpful to know. Do you know if fitbit is being accurate about intensity, such as does it count calories for 4k steps playing tennis which is more active than 4k steps intermittent walking during day? I never input Exercise since I am getting the Fitbit step credit but should I?

I've been going by fitbit's calories for 2.5 years and it has been very accurate, including running, biking, and playing ping pong. The only thing I add manually is swimming.
  • Marg672
    Marg672 Posts: 48 Member
    I use my fitbit but I never eat back the calories that is says I can because it always changes and that extra movement will just help me to lose faster.... besides what "good" treat can I get for 170 calories that I wouldn't just fit in normally
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Do you know if fitbit is being accurate about intensity, such as does it count calories for 4k steps playing tennis which is more active than 4k steps intermittent walking during day?

I never input Exercise since I am getting the Fitbit step credit but should I?

You have three choices for tennis:
    • Don't log it,
    • Log it in Fitbit, or
    • Log it in MFP

Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn (TDEE) during that time, so either keep not logging it, or log it in Fitbit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users