Snack suggestions?

Options
pianofire
pianofire Posts: 15 Member
I'm looking for some new snack suggestions.

I tend to not snack because I simply don't like most snack foods, but eating only three times a day when I'm working is really tough. I really need at least one healthy morning or afternoon snack.

I really don't have a sweet tooth and I get the bulk of my fruit/sugar intake at breakfast, so I'm looking for some savoury alternatives that doesn't involve nuts or raw vegetables (the only two things in the world that actually make me gag, unfortunately).

I love cottage cheese and would eat that on the regular, but I need something to dip in it. As I said, I hate raw veg. I've tried carrot, celery and green beans to no avail. Any suggestions out there?

I don't want anything too high in fat as I'm always very close to my fat goal just with my 3 meals a day.

Sorry about how picky I am, it's just so hard to find healthy snacks that I can stomach. :)

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be something to dip?? Pickles, pita chips, graham crackers, pretzels.
    Things to add include chia seeds, raisins (eat less fruit in the a.m), ham (low in fat), oatmeal, cooked rice, cooked pasta, salsa, cereal, spaghetti sauce, kidney beans, hot sauce.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I like frozen peas and smashed hard-boiled egg with my cottage cheese, with a little salt and cayenne pepper. I mix it all together. By the time it's mixed the peas have dethawed. Really filling, relatively low calorie and fairly high in protein and fiber.

I eat this mix straight or use it as a spread on cucumber slices or chips.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is high in protein which can help fend off hunger. The downside is it is supper high in sodium.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    You don't like fruits or vegetables or nuts so do you want my honest opinion or a lie? Because it sounds like you want someone to say all the things that are badfor you is ok. Well they are in moderation.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    String cheese or other cheese sticks come in low fat and are anywhere from 50 to 80 calories each. There is also the mini Baby Bel cheese wheels that are about the same calorie wise. Apple slices with peanut butter or other nut butter is also good. Hummus or guacamole with pita chips or a low calorie cracker is also good. They are about 100 calories for 2 tablespoons. You can use the pita chips as a dipper with your cottage cheese as well. I like to add some seasoning to my cottage cheese, Mrs. Dash or just some sunflower seeds.
  • pianofire
    pianofire Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I like frozen peas and smashed hard-boiled egg with my cottage cheese, with a little salt and cayenne pepper. I mix it all together. By the time it's mixed the peas have dethawed. Really filling, relatively low calorie and fairly high in protein and fiber.

I eat this mix straight or use it as a spread on cucumber slices or chips.

I like this idea. I'm going to try this as I often eat hard-boiled eggs, so this is combining the best of both worlds. :) I find carb-y snacks less satisfying so I end up eating a zillion corn chips so this is a really good alternative. Thank!