Options

Replies

• babyleonard5
    babyleonard5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I am in therapy

It might not be the right kind of therapy if you still cannot leave the house…

People with agoraphobia need intensive exposure therapy, which is what cognitive behavioral therapy is.

General support and suggestions are great, but it's really not appropriate for you to be offering specific diagnosis and treatment opinions about mental health issues.

Not appropriate? Oh please, get over yourself.

As someone who suffered from severe panic attacks and agoraphobia and still struggles daily, it is perfectly "appropriate" for me to tell this woman (who struggles with the same things as me) what therapy she should be looking into. In case you didn't know, CBT is the most effective treatment for agoraphobia.

I won't get into further back-and-forth here. She's in therapy, and that's good. There's nothing unusual about someone in treatment for agoraphobia spending some period of time unable to leave the house except for appointments. A lot of us have struggled with a lot of very serious issues, but it's usually not a good idea to assume that your needs and your therapeutic process are necessarily the same as others'...and that's why general advice and support are great, but specific "you need to..." isn't always the best approach.

Take care. I'm not trying to get into it with you. Just wishing you'd back off a bit from the very specific "you should" stuff.

Thank you
  • babyleonard5
    Options
    Who is a professional?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I am in therapy

People with agoraphobia need intensive exposure therapy, which is what cognitive behavioral therapy is.

General support and suggestions are great, but it's really not appropriate for you to be offering specific diagnosis and treatment opinions about mental health issues.

As someone who suffered from severe panic attacks and agoraphobia and still struggles daily, it is perfectly "appropriate" for me to tell this woman (who struggles with the same things as me) what therapy she should be looking into. It isn't an opinion. It is proven science. In case you didn't know, CBT is the most effective treatment for agoraphobia.

LOL
    You do know you're talking to a professional in the industry, right? I'm pretty sure she knows. Check yo' self.

Funny thing is so am I. Might want to get your facts straight :)
  • babyleonard5
    Options
    Saying it might not be right if I "still" can't leave the house. .. I didn't say how long it had been, and I do leave the house
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    I am in therapy

As someone who suffered from severe panic attacks and agoraphobia and still struggles daily, it is perfectly "appropriate" for me to tell this woman (who struggles with the same things as me) what therapy she should be looking into. In case you didn't know, CBT is the most effective treatment for agoraphobia.

I won't get into further back-and-forth here. She's in therapy, and that's good. There's nothing unusual about someone in treatment for agoraphobia spending some period of time unable to leave the house except for appointments. A lot of us have struggled with a lot of very serious issues, but it's usually not a good idea to assume that your needs and your therapeutic process are necessarily the same as others'...and that's why general advice and support are great, but specific "you need to..." isn't always the best approach.

Take care. I'm not trying to get into it with you. Just wishing you'd back off a bit from the very specific "you should" stuff.

You don't know how long she's been in therapy for or what her therapy consists of.

There's nothing wrong with me telling the OP what worked for me and suggesting she look into it. No, not everyone with mental health disorders responds the same to treatment. However, if she is currently meeting with a therapist and simply talking (no action), I guarantee that will not be helpful for her agoraphobia.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Saying it might not be right if I "still" can't leave the house. .. I didn't say how long it had been, and I do leave the house

I just addressed that in my last post- that you didn't say how long you've been in therapy. However, you did specifically say that you've been dealing with this for a few years now. That gives off the impression that you have been in therapy for a while.
  • babyleonard5
    Options

[/quote]

You don't know how long she's been in therapy for or what her therapy consists of.

[/quote]

Neither do you

• babyleonard5
    Options

I just addressed that in my last post- that you didn't say how long you've been in therapy. However, you did specifically say that you've been dealing with this for a few years now. That gives off the impression that you have been in therapy for a while.

No, I said I've been through very traumatic things the last couple years
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

No, I said I've been through very traumatic things the last couple years

So you didn't seek help right away is what I'm guessing.

Either way, you came here asking for support. That's what I gave you. I told you what worked for me. You can choose to take my advice if you feel that the therapy you are currently undergoing is not helping you.

Having an open mind to trying new things is key to recovery. Hope it works out for you.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    this went sideways quick.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    babyleonard5 - Unfortunately, you've run into someone here who is so self-important that they haven't noticed that their comments aren't helping you. Please ignore her posts.

I commend you for starting on this journey to begin dealing with your weight issues. Just want you to know that I walk around 10 miles every day, and 90% of that is without ever leaving the house. No, I'm not agoraphobic, but I do care for my elderly mom who cannot be left alone, even for a minute. So it was either walk indoors, or don't walk. I've lost over 50 lbs this way in 5 months. :)

So just focus on putting one foot in front of the other - everything else will fall into place. You got this! <3
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Way to go on recognizing. Sounds like you're getting off to a great start. Go get this!
  • babyleonard5
    Options
    babyleonard5 - Unfortunately, you've run into someone here who is so self-important that they haven't noticed that their comments aren't helping you. Please ignore her posts.

I commend you for starting on this journey to begin dealing with your weight issues. Just want you to know that I walk around 10 miles every day, and 90% of that is without ever leaving the house. No, I'm not agoraphobic, but I do care for my elderly mom who cannot be left alone, even for a minute. So it was either walk indoors, or don't walk. I've lost over 50 lbs this way in 5 months. :)

So just focus on putting one foot in front of the other - everything else will fall into place. You got this! <3

Yeah... I was actually just walking laps around my house probably while you were typing this lol
  • babyleonard5
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Way to go on recognizing. Sounds like you're getting off to a great start. Go get this!

Thanks!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a Fitbit if you can. I went with the cheapest one - the Zip. Clip it on to your waistband and it records your steps and then transfers your extra calories earned to your MFP diary. It's brilliant, simple and very motivating when you can see your efforts translating into actual calories burned.
  • babyleonard5
    Options
    Get yourself a Fitbit if you can. I went with the cheapest one - the Zip. Clip it on to your waistband and it records your steps and then transfers your extra calories earned to your MFP diary. It's brilliant, simple and very motivating when you can see your efforts translating into actual calories burned.

I am on disability and doubt I can afford it.. rarely get anything "extra". I did download Google Fit but it doesn't sync to this and I don't know how accurate it is since it's on my phone which is not always in my pocket or I just don't have pockets. Guess we'll see! I mean I'm always below calorie goal and I'm moving around.