New to working out....missing my period??

i just started working out this week and my period didn't come. I'm NOT pregnant, can beginning to workout cause the delay?
Eeekkkk!

Replies

• klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Are you usually extremely regular? My cycle is usually 29-31 days long.

If I remember correctly delays in periods can occur when you stress the body before ovulation. Personally I wouldn't worry unless you miss your next period as well (as long as you are positive you are not pregnant) but I'm sure a call to your gynocologist would put your mind at ease.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    When you get to a lower fat percent your period may Chang due to different hormones. But usually that requires heavy wieght lifting..everyone is different though
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2015
    New diet and/or exercise routine could delay your period a bit at first, esp if you hadn't exercised in a long time. Any major change to health/lifestyle could affect it. Happened to me once or twice over the years (came a week or so late) when starting a new routine. Obv ask your doc if you're worried. Take care and good job starting new workouts! :)
  • MoniqueLMFitness
    MoniqueLMFitness Posts: 1 Member
    Oh my I'm so glad I've found this post thread.... Being doing insanity for three weeks now - it's 2nd time round as I got married and it all got a bit too much with work and planning etc. last month I was 2 days late for my period this month I'm a whole 6 days & 2 pregnancy tests negative! But husband and I are actually trying to get pregnant - very frustrating as don't want to stop the exercising either. Just now wondering if the exercise will interfere with the trying to get pregnant thing or whether it'll settle down?? Who knows anyone else have similar??
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Skipping a period and being late really are 2 different things. I have never been very regular, which was a *kitten* when I was younger and usually got my period the day after the negative pregnancy test.

FYI, trying to get pregnant can cause you to be late too. Stressing over thinking your pregnant will also mess you up.

Yes exercise changes certain times in your cycle can throw things off. So can diet changes, stress, hormone fluctuations, getting sick (a cold or fever was a guarantee I would be late), medication, etc. Women's bodies are a balancing act of hormones and it can be very easy to throw it off.

For the woman trying to get pregnant there is a lot of literature out there saying the better shape you are in, the better for you and baby. However, if you are dieting and trying to get pregnant check into vitamins and things as these will help ensure you are getting what you need for you and then for the new baby :) Also talk to your Doctor if you haven't.

For the average person warning signs of a real problem are as follows:
    - Skipping more than one month
    - Spotting in between periods
    - Short periods consistently
    - Long or extremely heavy periods (especially if not usual)
    - Getting your period more than once a month (OMG, this really sucks)

Why do I know this? I had the pleasure of having my period more than once a month and at one point I had it for 3 weeks. Mostly light, but more than spotting. I also had the pleasure of it being so heavy for a couple of hours that I thought I was hemorrhaging. My daughter tends to skip and have cramps even when she doesn't get it. I had fibroids and hormonal issues, daughter is all hormone problems. Anyway when you call the Doctors office and ask questions they tell you what to watch out for.

However, I am not a Doctor and if you have a concern call your doctors office and talk to one of the nurses there. Usually there is a nurse available to answer or call you back about stuff like this :)
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    First time I joined MFP, I had never worked out in my whole life and I got really into it I would work out 6 days a week and always between in my calories goal (1200 kcals). Buuuuut I guess it was too much and my body was not prepared for that, also 1200 cals was too little and I was working out a lot. So my period stopped... for three months. Worst thing that could happen to me.... I went to the gynocologist and she send me some pills for hormone treatment, I blame them, I got anxious and eventually lazy, and put on all the weight back. :(

So wait to see if its just a delay or just skipping a month, you may want to visit the gynocologist .... but make sure you check your stats. Is your goal too ambitious? Are your calories too low? Are you eating back your excercise calories?