Having trouble meeting daily calorie intake

Options
madkcole
madkcole Posts: 110 Member
edited July 2015 in Getting Started
Either I'm doing something wrong, or I'm not eating enough calories - something I've never had a problem with before. :smiley: According to MFP, my daily calorie burn/expenditure (for sedentary) = 2,150 calories. Using the guided goal setup, I told MFP I wanted to lose 1 1b a week. MFP said my daily calorie intake should be 1,650. However, today I exercised and burned 395 calories. So, the end result of my calorie intake for today, according to MFP is 2,045 calories. Being very precise when adding to my food diary for today, I'm still 688 calories behind - and that's for the entire day (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and beverages). I like to eat, but there's no way I'm going to be able to add 688 more calories today. Based on what I've already entered, it seems like too many calories already. Has anyone had this problem before?

Here's a list of foods for today if that helps:
Three slices of turkey bacon, two eggs, one cup of fruit
Two cups coffee with Splenda
One serving of celery/carrots with one serving of hummus (one snack)
Two chicken thighs (skinless, baked with 1/4 serving coconut oil)
One cup canned green beans
One serving polenta (with one serving of butter)
One glass of whole milk
One serving of celery/carrots with one serving of cream cheese (second snack)
One serving homemade tuna salad (recipe built by me using nutritional guide on every ingredient)
One cup mixed vegetables (frozen, no sauce)
Two glass of tea with Stevia

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat back all your exercise calories. You can eat back half and store them for later in the week if you have a hungry day or are going to eat out. Don't force yourself to eat if you're full.

Are you recording all your foods correctly? Are you weighing them? Cups and spoons are often inaccurate. So if that's how you're measuring you may be eating more calories than you think. Ditto for the exercise calories - MFP and exercise machines are very inaccurate with their suggested burns, are you using a heart rate monitor?
  • madkcole
    Options
    Thank you for responding. I've read on other posts that MFP's exercise calculations are often over exaggerated, so I'm calculating my calories burned through exercise using a heart rate monitor and I have created my own exercises based on that. I'm also weighing and measuring everything! I think I've been pretty careful and precise when doing that. Thanks again for letting me know that it's not necessary to eat all the calories back. I read that on another post and forgot about that.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all of that food? That list looks like it should be more calories than you have logged. 1 Serving of an item can be just about anything you like so that information is useless. A glass of whole milk... how may ounces is the glass? What do you consider a serving of butter?Cream cheese?How much did the chicken weigh? Polenta? Without proper weights and measurements none of the information above can be considered accurate or useful.

I would suspect that you are eating more calories than you think you are. Especially with so many calorie dense selections on there.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Are you weighing all of that food? That list looks like it should be more calories than you have logged. 1 Serving of an item can be just about anything you like so that information is useless. A glass of whole milk... how may ounces is the glass? What do you consider a serving of butter?Cream cheese?How much did the chicken weigh? Polenta? Without proper weights and measurements none of the information above can be considered accurate or useful.

I would suspect that you are eating more calories than you think you are. Especially with so many calorie dense selections on there.

^ this. Perhaps we could have a look at your diary, just to be sure? :smile: You might not be as far off as your think.
  • madkcole
    Options

^ this. Perhaps we could have a look at your diary, just to be sure? :smile: You might not be as far off as your think.

Yes, I've been very careful with each measurement. I've double and triple checked each entry. I'd be happy to show you my food diary. I didn't know that could be done. Below is the list w/the exact measurements I entered.

Three slices of turkey bacon, two eggs, one cup of fruit; total calories = 358
    Two eight ounce cups coffee with Splenda; 0 calories
    First snack: one serving of celery/carrots (total 4 ounces) with one serving of hummus (total 2 tbsp); total calories = 173
    Two chicken thighs (skinless, baked with 1/4 serving coconut oil); total calories = 350
    One cup canned green beans; total calories = 70
    One serving (100 grams) polenta (with 1/4 serving of butter); total calories = 79 (butter serving amount was incorrect in original post)
    One glass of whole milk; 8 ounces = 150 calories
    Second snack: one serving of celery/carrots (total 4 ounces) with one serving of cream cheese (total 2 tbsp) total calories = 127
    One serving (4 ounces) homemade tuna salad (recipe built by me using nutritional guide on every ingredient); total calories = 198
    One cup mixed vegetables (frozen, no sauce); total calories = 25
    Two eight ounce glasses of tea with Stevia; no calories

• LizziebuffS
    LizziebuffS Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I have trouble getting over 1000 calories a day and have to eat more than I would like. my average diet day is 6 slices of bacon, 3 eggs fried in bacon grease and 1/2 pound of hamburger meat, and MFP tells me I'm not eating enough. I guess I'm gonna have to make myself eat more even though I'm not hungry.
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food with a digital scale or actually trying to eyeball cups/tbsp./etc?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    madkcole wrote: »

Yes, I've been very careful with each measurement. I've double and triple checked each entry. I'd be happy to show you my food diary. I didn't know that could be done. Below is the list w/the exact measurements I entered.

First snack: one serving of celery/carrots (total 4 ounces) with one serving of hummus (total 2 tbsp); total calories = 173
    Two chicken thighs (skinless, baked with 1/4 serving coconut oil); total calories = 350
    One serving (100 grams) polenta (with 1/4 serving of butter); total calories = 79 (butter serving amount was incorrect in original post)
    Second snack: one serving of celery/carrots (total 4 ounces) with one serving of cream cheese (total 2 tbsp) total calories = 127
    One serving (4 ounces) homemade tuna salad (recipe built by me using nutritional guide on every ingredient); total calories = 198

You may be double checking your entries but if you're not measuring it on a food scale then you might be eating more than you think. If you're having trouble meeting your calorie intake & accurately measuring your food then you could try eating peanut butter with your celery, peanut butter & apples, nuts, ice cream/gelato, make a smoothie with various ingredients (Pinterest has a ton of recipes), make a larger calorie dinner.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Yes it can be done. It would help if you would do it.

Did you weigh the bacon? What kind of fruit and did you weigh it? How much did these items weigh?

What constatutes a serving of celery/carrots? How much did they weigh? Did you weigh the humus portion or just use a measuring spoon?

How much did the chicken weigh? What is a serving of coconut oil? How much did the green beans weigh?

How much did the polenta weigh and did you weigh it before or after it was cooked? How was it cooked? How much is a serving of butter?

Again How much did each item weigh?

Do you actually own a food scale and do you use it for everything solid? These are not hard questions. If you want help you need to answer them.

How long have you been at this and have you lost weight so far? If you have and you are not hungry then leave it at that. But if you are not having success.. you need to tighten up your logging. And that means you need to start using a scale. Not spoons, not servings, not cups. A digital food scale is your best friend in this. If you are not using one, you need to start.
  • madkcole
    Options
    I weighed the polenta, celery/carrots, milk, tuna salad. For the rest of the items, I used MFP's food calculator to calculate the calories. On most of these items, I compared MFP's calculations to the package of the item (butter, coconut oil, green beans, etc) and they matched.

I've been using MFP for two days. Time I guess will tell if I'm successful. Thank you for responding. Do advocate weighing everything as opposed to using MFP to calculate the calories?

PS - As it turned out, I didn't eat dinner because I had such a late lunch. Wasn't hungry at dinnertime and still am not hungry (almost 10 p.m. now).

• Faithful_Chosen
    Options
    It would still be awesome if you would open your diary... (settings --> diary settings --> set visibility to public)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You're not weighing everything. So the answer to "do you weigh all your food?" is "no".

Try again tomorrow. Maybe you'll find you are closer to goal. Weigh your food. Everything-eggs, turkey slices, fruit, etc.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I weighed the polenta, celery/carrots, milk, tuna salad. For the rest of the items, I used MFP's food calculator to calculate the calories. On most of these items, I compared MFP's calculations to the package of the item (butter, coconut oil, green beans, etc) and they matched.

I've been using MFP for two days. Time I guess will tell if I'm successful. Thank you for responding. Do advocate weighing everything as opposed to using MFP to calculate the calories?

PS - As it turned out, I didn't eat dinner because I had such a late lunch. Wasn't hungry at dinnertime and still am not hungry (almost 10 p.m. now).

MFP can only accurately predict calories in food when you put the accurate amount of what you are eating into it, down to the gram.
  • aalbert_82
    aalbert_82 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you didn't eat dinner today then on a normal day you should have no trouble consuming all your calories, right? If you weren't hungry today due to late lunch, don't worry about it. Or you can save your calories for later in the week. Or you can have a small, calorie dense snack like nuts
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the calories back. If you're burning >400 cal by exercise then you're pretty close to hitting your goal of 1lbs per week. However, if you're eating those calories back then you're wasting your time.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

How does MFP know how much your eggs weighed, how much your fruit weighed...how much even that slice of turkey weighed? It's a great tool but it's not magic.
  • sparkle_313
    sparkle_313 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think you need to pay closer attention to your macros as opposed to calerie intake. It will sometimes seem like a lot of food but if you have a strong workout program with high and low carb days you'll see a gain then loss once your body comes out of starvation mode from too few calories/protein/carbs/fats. You have a lot of fats in your meals. Calories are an okay place to start but those canned green beans alone will get you in sodium unless youre supplementing with over a gallon of water.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Options
    I think you need to pay closer attention to your macros as opposed to calerie intake. It will sometimes seem like a lot of food but if you have a strong workout program with high and low carb days you'll see a gain then loss once your body comes out of starvation mode from too few calories/protein/carbs/fats. You have a lot of fats in your meals. Calories are an okay place to start but those canned green beans alone will get you in sodium unless youre supplementing with over a gallon of water.

No such thing. Disregard. Calories in vs calories out = weight loss. Variety of food = healthy weight loss. Watch your macros just to make sure you get enough of the basics.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Lots of items listed as a "serving." Unless it is weighed, who knows what that is. For example, butter. I put my butter plate on the scale and set it to zero. Then, after I have hacked off as much better as I want on an item, I look to see how many grams is gone from the plate. Then I log the butter by grams. That works for lots of other foods like cottage cheese, cream cheese, peanut butter (things too messy to weight by plopping them on the scale.)
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think you are on to a great start on MFP! You will find lots of good advice on here. I am approaching 3 months of logging food now. I would say that you are eating more than you think-2 chicken thighs for me vary so much . I found I have to weigh food, and now I can eyeball a bit better for when I can't.

I would say to not eat all those calories back from exercise although that would be a good excuse to eat some delicious dark chocolate or have a bit of icecream for a treat :)