Dividing calories

Hi all. Just wondering the best way to divide calories throughout the day. I never know if I should have equal calories for breakfast, dinner and tea or higher dinner or tea etc. Is there a particular way which is better or do I just do what feels right. My calorie intake is due to be 2170. Thanks in advance xx

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Do what you feel is right.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    You should be eating how you normally eat.....just less of it.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    It's totally up to you :) meal timing and how you spread your calories is personal preference.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    From what I have learned the main thing is to keep a record of or count your calories. You have to do what is best fro your body- some folks say no eating after 7 or 8 pm and others eat at night because they have to and still lose weight- it is mainly calories in / calories out and do your exercises as much as possible.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    In my experience, I eat the most calories, especially protein, when I am the hungriest. That can vary from person to person. As long as you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. For weight loss it doesn't matter what time of day you eat what calories. The body has great ways to even out the fluctuations. As long as you do not have any underlying medical conditions, eat the most when you are the hungriest, as this will help you stick with eating at a deficit over time for weight loss.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Log what you're eating normally. Then you will be able to see where you can trim calories.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Personally, during the day for my first 3 meals I find it easy to maintain similar calorie levels - between 300-400. But then by the time I hit meal 4 I just want to chow down on EVERYTHING. Like I will eat my 300-400 but then 30 mins later I just want MORE. So I eat again. Perhaps if I ate a bigger meal 4 I'd feel more satisfied, but my trainer gave me this meal plan and I'm trying to stick to it (1600 per day) as best as I can and it is working so yeah...
  • andreamulhall
    andreamulhall Posts: 81 Member
    I try to use the bulk of my calories at breakfast and lunch and less for dinner , don't need many Cals close to bed time
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Personal preference. Try pre logging your day, it helps tremendously!
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    I used to be STARVING in the morning, and I would eat a sizeable meal (eggs + bacon or oatmeal + eggs), around 500 calories, but I switched to drinking a bulletproof coffee (coffee with grassfed butter and coconut oil blended in) which is ~ 220-250 calories. That keeps me full until around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I eat about 500 calories for lunch and about 600-700 calories for dinner.

Before bulletproof coffee I would have sworn up and down that I had to have that many calories in the morning. Now I find myself eating the most calories at night. I'm not sure what to think!
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    I divy it up: ~300 calorie breakfast, lunch, and dinner with breakfast and dinner coming in a little higher and lunch a little lower, usually, and three ~100 calorie snacks--morning, afternoon, evening. The morning snack is usually a bit bigger, afternoon depends on my dinner, and evening fixes up my calorie allotment, which ends up around 1300 when all is said and done.

But really, whatever works!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    If you're not hungry in the morning/brunch hours then save more calories for lunch & dinner & if you like to eat a bigger breakfast/brunch then eat more calories then & space the rest out the rest of the day. There's no set time that you have to eat.