Protein shake question?

Options
I was thinking about this week making myself protein shakes. I was going to try and use oat flour with almond milk. Does anyone else use oat flour and does it help fill you up? Also do you think this is ok vs. other protein powders?

Replies

• jamie2roberts
    jamie2roberts Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd get pea protein isolate and mix that with oats of that's what you prefer to make a perfect protein. Otherwise you won't get enough out of the shake.
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this week making myself protein shakes. I was going to try and use oat flour with almond milk. Does anyone else use oat flour and does it help fill you up? Also do you think this is ok vs. other protein powders?

I've definitely used oats. Just straight up whole oats (about 1/4 cup), not even flour. It adds flavor, nice consistency and, yes, bulk. I also use silken tofu with that, almond milk and whatever flavorful things I have around--coco powder, banana, nut butter, fruit, whatever. But yes, oats are great in smoothies, and they get blended up anyway, so I don't really see a need to buy separate oat flour, but I like some texture in my smoothies.

I was daunted by the world of protein powder since there are so many types and I didn't really understand what it was all about. I had been using things like peanut butter, tofu, oats, milk etc, which is great. However, I will say that, having tried the protein powder today, I think it did make me feel fuller than simply using various high-protein whole ingredients. So if you're looking for something to really fill you up, I'd add some protein powder to that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly, the most effective proteins are going to be whey and cassien. They are your more complete proteins. You can add in oats, fruits, peanut butter, or whatever else you want if you want to replace it as a meal. I prefer cows milk over almond milk because of the protein content.