Couples who play together, stay together.

Options
We hear from people all the time that they have no support from their spouse, but where's all the couples choosing to do it together?

My husband & I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary next month & are both in the best shape of our lives. We've lost almost 100lbs combined. As our bodies have gotten stronger, so has our relationship. Love that we motivate each other! We make it fun!

I'd love to hear from others working out & getting/staying fit together!!!

c66icxhqk1qg.jpg
txma0qhgnfxd.jpg

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My husband and I hike together all the time. I fact, we met on a backpacking trip 6 years ago. He sees me weighing my food and counting calories and he's started weighing himself again, although he's not counting calories (yet). He loves the healthy recipes I make and has even learned to make a few so we often cook dinner together. This pic is us about 3 weeks ago.

y752ggb0joeh.jpg
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    My first anniversary is coming up next month, and I couldn't ask for a more supportive husband! We just started working out together about two months ago. Now to be real, we are both lazy as all get out, but we're both determined to make this a part of our lifestyle. You're right - it's so awesome to have and be that motivation!
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My husband and I have lost over 153 lbs collectively. He is such a support and inspiration. We have Friday Dates where one of us asks the other out with a fun activity planned. Walking a new trail, biking in a new bicycle path, running around an F1 racetrack, mall walking- we've done loads of fun stuff -Then have a coffee to celebrate.

We enjoy our friendship and respect each other's dedication to get healthier. The added 'perks of weighing less' does definitely help ;)

I do have some pics of us together... Not on this computer though :#

baxdhl1bcv51.jpg
    kmg5nviz4knz.jpg
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    My wife and I made a promise to each other when we married that we'd stay fit so we could hope to live out our retirement down the road as the active couples we always admired. She kept her end of the bargain and has remained fit while I fell off the wagon for a bunch of bad excuses. When I had my aha moment last fall I didn't tell her I started to seriously lose weight... not at first, but did ask that she run with me. We'd always enjoyed running together, cycling, hiking and other active pursuits. She supported me, was very patient with my gasping for air and having to stop, frequently. Those once or twice a week runs together in the early fall were key to getting me going and keeping going.

I didn't tell her that I was running without her mid-week. I wanted to surprise her. ;-)

Long story short, eventually I could finally run 1k fairly quickly grew to 2k then 4k, 18km, 22km, and so on. We continue to this day to have a Friday "date-run" on her day off. I'm once again a distance runner and enjoy much longer runs and mountain trail running that are not her thing, but she is stepping up her city running too and our date runs while remaining fun are longer and faster each month. The prospects for a fit retirement together are back on track. I owe a lot to Sue's support.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    my husband is supportive, but he's never needed to lose weight - in fact he's trying to gain a bit - and he hates running, so its just not happening!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    My partner is supportive. He doesn't need to lose weight, if anything he struggles to gain weight. It's really fun trying to meet both of our calorie requirements in the kitchen! He used to do Cross Fit but hasn't done anything regularly in a year or so. He comes along for runs with me and very occasionally does his own thing. I'd love for him to be more active, for his health and wellbeing but he'll get there in his own time. I'm jealous of his naturally low body fat percentage. If I had those genetics I'd be walking around with a 6 pack and my shirt off 24/7.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Running and working out were a huge part of our relationship and I loved it. He's a lazy-butt recently, but there is nothing like pushing yourself and sweating it out with the love of your life.
    ejpnznge2elj.jpg

I have a bunch more on my profile. Years of fun!
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    We don't work out together because our goals, abilities, and schedules are different but we do help each other stay accountable with food, encourage and cheer each other, and we enjoy riding together. I don't think either of us could do it without the other.
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Love all these replies! Maybe we'll have to join the Friday night daters. We're usually busy with family stuff on Saturdays (did I mention we have 4 kids?!), so we usually sneak off together on Sundays. Seems to be the only day we're not super busy.

The rest of the week, I workout by myself at home. He hits the gym at lunch & runs a mile during his afternoon break at work. We do walk our dogs together every night after dinner though. : )
  • PhysicsOnIce
    PhysicsOnIce Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    8k5yyb2ea8jn.jpg
    My boyfriend does not need to loose weight at all. Infact He is one the most fit persons I know, naturally low body fat and high metabolism and overall naturally strong. We recently climbed the Teide together and sports are a huge part of our daily lives as well as dating life. We got together at the skating rink and now Hiking, Cycling, Skating and Badminton are daily activities in our lives. While he doesn't really diet at all (he can eat anything he wants and not gain a kilo), he definitively pushes my physical activity levels higher on almost every date. My first 50+ km bike ride and my first 3000+m hike were both due to him.