portions

Options
i have a problem with portions...i am unable to know my exact portion of everything so i feel that i am not counting all the calories that i am consuming...i don't eat any junk i only eat homemade food and i stopped drinking my calories :# so my question is how i can correctly estimate the weight/portion of my food :/

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Get a food scale and weigh all of your solid foods. Only use measuring cups and spoons for liquids.

For homemade things, weigh everything before you cook for total calories, weigh the whole recipe after cooking to get total weight, and then you can know how many calories you have when you split it into servings.

Weight loss has been so much easier for me and I feel like I have more control over what I'm eating using the scale.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    Yep ... another vote for food scale.

They are inexpensive and readily available ... no reason not to get one.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you're not the cook, ask to help cook and build / import the recipe into the recipe builder then weigh and measure

If you're out choose the obviously healthier portions or look at nutritional guidelines on packs / menus and log that

Learn to deconstruct meals and estimate by ingredients, remembering to include oils, butter, creams and other hidden ingredients and condiments
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have a sneaky suspicion the OP is underage for MFP
  • nohaabdelbary14
    nohaabdelbary14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My scale broke so i am loking for a altenative until i buy a new one :s:/
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options

They are available everywhere ... department stores, grocery stores, hardware stores ...

Just go get one. If you walk or cycle to the store, you'll burn a few calories too. :smiley:

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

They are available everywhere ... department stores, grocery stores, hardware stores ...

Just go get one. If you walk or cycle to the store, you'll burn a few calories too. :smiley:

Or buy one online.
  • nohaabdelbary14
    nohaabdelbary14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I will :) and thank you guys.