Weight loss with Crohn's Disease

Options
2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I've had Crohns for ten years and have only gone into remission over over the last two years and what did it for me was going on a doctor-monitored, in-hospital fast for 40 days and then slowly easing onto a low-residue/low-fibre diet.

From a general health perspective at first it scared me because I am told to stick very carefully to a diet high in refined carbs but being in remission is so, so, so, so worth it.

Weight wise i managed very easily to keep my weight stable even when I am on prednisone as it doesn't seem to affect me too adversely so I can't honestly say much from that perspective, but as for the best diet, the one above is definitely the one which has worked for me.

Me too. I was on tpn for a little over a month. I also didn't gain on Prednisone but a lot of people do do that's why I mentioned that. I am on low residue low fiber indefinitely as every time I try to reintroduce fiber I get really sick.
  • amrluvarr
    amrluvarr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I too have crohn's and I'm also on the Autoimmune paleo diet. It has done wonders for my crohn's and my weight loss. I started with about 100lbs to lose. It is a myth that all crohn's patients lose weight. I never did but then again I've had steroids every year. I've lost 30 lbs on the autoimmune paleo diet. The weight loss is starting to slow down even thought I struggle to get 1200 calories in (the diet can be restrictive) but I'm still making progress. I feel amazing, the diet has done wonders for my crohn's! I can't wait to trick or treat with my babies tonight and not be worried about the next bathroom trip!