Severe Back Pain

Options
Over the weekend, I injured my back (not exactly sure how - I woke up one morning and could hardly stand straight or walk due to severe lower back pain). It is still here today but I don't want to forfeit exercising for yet another day (I only did some light walking over the wknd).

I'm new to the fitness world (just getting into it, matter-of-fact)....Any suggestions to exercises that can be done while experiencing back pain? Or is it best to sit it out since my posture is still off...? (I'm thinking the latter but would love to hear your opinions.)

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Back pain is nothing to be taken lightly.

Go see your doctor. Don't exercise until it is healed.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    see a doctor
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Do nothing more until you see a doctor.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Did you ice it? Did you try Motrin? The first 48 hours take it easy then try walking and there are exercises for back pain but if nothing works you should be evaluated by your Doctor.. I have 3 herniated discs with edema in the disc space that they can't do anything about other than cortisone shots that are only a temporary fix.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I work at a spine institute..........................like others have said, don't mess around with it see your doctor. That's professional advice right there ;)
  • HEATHERACU73
    HEATHERACU73 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree. See a doctor to make sure it's not a herniated disc or something major. If you don't heal that first, you'll end up having problems for life. If your doctor confirms it's just a muscle sprain, ice and lay off it for several weeks or do light walking on the second/third week. Maybe just some stretching in the pool to keep your weight off the injury. It sucks when you still have the motivation to exercise, but truly, if you don't heal your injuries first, you'll have them the rest of your life.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 8,000 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best exercise for mild back pain and overall back health, but you said your pain is severe. Go see a doctor. He/she will probably give you a muscle relaxant. My husband ices his back while laying flat on the floor. Sitting is not good and probably painful at this point.
  • sweet_brownsugr
    sweet_brownsugr Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! That's what I figured. Well...here's to a little down time that I definitely AM NOT looking forward to! However, on the flip side, at least I know that I will be healthy and strong after I recover and won't have to worry about hurting myself any further.

Thanks again, guys!!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    HASWLRS wrote: »
    Walking is the best exercise for mild back pain and overall back health, but you said your pain is severe. Go see a doctor. He/she will probably give you a muscle relaxant. My husband ices his back while laying flat on the floor. Sitting is not good and probably painful at this point.

Twice when I "threw" my back out the dr prescribed NSAIDs, muscle relaxants and walking.....lots of walking. Didn't take the muscle relaxants as I didn't like how I felt on them. I did do lots of walking but it was still weeks before my back felt better.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Don't mess around with your back - see a physio and a Dr stat.