9+ lbs gone. 55 - 75 lbs to go!

Options
Hi Everyone!

Rather than wait to post about my success once I've reached my goal, I though to post about my interim success here, to encourage others who are thinking about starting a new way of living.

I started out in early June with the goal of wanting to lose weight. I was sure how to go about it. However, after reading posts from MFP and articles on the www, I started to get a good sense of the math of weight loss. It wasn't until I started to see weight come off that I realize that weight loss is simply about calories in and out (with the exception of medical issues, etc.). While I have a long way to go in terms of educating myself on nutrition and human biology, I feel comfortable with what I have gleaned over the past month+.

I made very simple changes. I drink more water, walk a few times a week (sometimes I walk everyday) and reduce my portion sizes. I counted calories at first (and may go back to that), but now stick to reducing my portions. Counting calories helped because I now know how much is too much. Is is a precise method? Nope. Am I maximizing my weight loss potential? No. Does it matter? No. Why? I'm totally happy with the way things are going. The small changes I've made have ensured a slow, steady dropping of the pounds AND I can continue to do it because it's REALISTIC for me! That's the best part. The changes are not difficult for me. I can drink some extra water. Reducing portions has become easier with time (especially when I know how many calories there are in some of the things I was indulging in). Eventually, I'd like to expand and do some weight, etc...but for now, I'm comfortable where I am.

The walking has been amazing in a totally unexpected way. I don't find myself being negative or angry nearly as much as before. I also feel less anxious and don't nitpick. Honestly, the walking has totally changed the way I feel. I walk for an hour briskly (less than 20 mins. a mile). Some days I hit 3.5+ miles. Most days, though, I enjoy a 3.2+ mile walk. This suits me just fine.

So, that's the gist of my post. I encourage anyone sitting there reading this to start slow. Barring any medical issues, I am sure you will see results. Exercise clears your mind of the junk you accumulate...it seriously is like a drug without any negative side effects. It's a snowball effect: the more you exercise, the better you feel, the better you feel, the more motivated you are to keep moving!

Thanks for reading!

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!