Protein?

Options
Hello MFP'ers!

I work out 4-5 times a week and have currently increased my protein intake. After reading numerous blogs, I see that protein can assist with weight gain. My goal is weight loss and tone. Should I lower my protein intake?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Protein can assist with weight gain if you're in a caloric surplus and if you're following a program with a progressive overload.

Keep eating your protein. It preserves muscle mass in a deficit.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Protein does not help with weight gain (you should stop reading whatever site said that). Weight gain is caused by eating more than you need to maintain your weight, and most people trying to gain weight actually do so by adding in more carbs, not more protein.

Protein for a lot of people (but not necessarily everyone) can help people feel full longer, which can help them stick to a deficit.

I personally like to go for protein and fat minimums and then supplement the rest of my calories with carbs:
    0.6-0.8 grams of protein per pound body weight
    0.35 grams of fat per pound body weight
    Rest - carbs or however I feel that day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Protein during weight loss helps to maintain the muscle and helps to keep you sated. It does not cause weight gain, unless you're eating too much. It still comes down to CICO.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Is your goal weight loss or fat loss? Personally, I think there's a difference. I don't really weigh myself anymore because I realized I don't care what the number says as long as I'm happy with how I look. Protein will help you maintain and build muscle. If you're still at a deficit you'll lose fat but the protein helps you keep the muscle you have because your body will go after all available energy sources when you eat at a deficit.
  • dfavela1988
    dfavela1988 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Agreed protein is a bulding block to losing weight. Lifting and consuming protein will cause you to build muscle which can cause you to gain some weight as well as increasing your metabolism which will help burn the fat away.
  • haleyjones7
    haleyjones7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Agreed protein is a bulding block to losing weight. Lifting and consuming protein will cause you to build muscle which can cause you to gain some weight as well as increasing your metabolism which will help burn the fat away.

Lifting will increase my metabolism? I had no idea.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    1. Blogs, generally speaking, are a terrible place to base your assupmtions on.
    2. Protein is good, especially when losing weight.
    3. Too many calories is what assists in weight gain.