Starting Over - Could use some advice.

Options
I could use some advice...

I used to be in decent shape. I ate well, was a healthy weight for my height, and exercised 5+ days a week. Then, some major life changes happened: A long term relationship was ended and a month later my best friend passed away very suddenly.... I became extremely depressed, stopped all forms of exercise, ate my feelings, and gained almost 40 lbs in six months.

Now, I am trying to get back into shape as I am very uncomfortable with myself and am heavier than I have ever been.
I am working on getting my nutrition back in check and trying to kick the soda habit that I have acquired, but as far as exercise, I have no idea where to begin as I've never been this out of shape before.

Starting out, should I just do cardio until I lose some fat and then start incorporating weights? Or should I do a small combination of both?

Stats:
Height: 5ft 4in
Weight:206 lbs.
Activity Level: Sedentary (I do have a desk job also.)

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For getting "in shape" you need to do cardio since that helps increase your cardiovascular health and will increase your stamina, etc.
    (Assuming you want to increase your energy levels.)
    It is however never too early to start lifting weights. When losing weight you also lose muscle. If you do weightlifting during your weightloss you can help maintain your muscle mass, which results in most of your weightloss being fat. Added benefit is that muscle requires energy, so maintaining muscle helps maintain bmr, which supposedly makes weightloss easier.

So basically, it is your choice to do either, both or neither.

ETA: also assuming you are aware that weightloss starts in the kitchen and exercise is not for weightloss.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I would say if you want, do both
    why wait?
  • dwinlvnv
    dwinlvnv Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Dear Starting Over, I am sorry to hear of your loss. Losing someone close can definitely take its toll and can forever change your life. I too lost my best friend suddenly (many years ago); it was and will ever be one of the hardest things I ever had to endure. Trust me, you will feel better when you start taking care of you. I am on week five of starting over. I faithfully changed my food routine, exercised, and used MFP for almost two years and lost 86 pounds in a year and maintained same weight for a year. Four about a year, I was always 15 pounds away from goal weight. Then I went on a cruise/trip for three weeks, struggled with flu/cold sickness for three weeks, then came the holidays, ultimately got out of food/exercise routine and put on 30 pounds in a year. I started back to doing everything all at once as that was what my routine was a year ago. I started faithfully watching my food intake and logging into MFP, 30 minutes of cardio, and 35 minutes of strength training. I perform cardio and strength training five times a week and then swim once or twice a week for about 40 minutes. In four weeks I have lost seven pounds and I can see my muscle tone returning. I am 28 years older then you; thus, you have age on your side. Here is my key to getting back into things; get your food under control, start cardio (go at it easy when starting; just enough to get your heart rate up for 30 minutes), strength training (also start easy and increase weights when your body tells you it's ready), stay in your routine (keep sabotagers away); and slowly but surely you will see results happening and those results will keep you going. Chin up and good luck!!