Weightlifting Belts

Options
Do you use a weightlifting belt? Why or why not? Experiences?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I do not currently. I have not yet hit a point where I feel that my core is my failure point. In addition, I would still like to lose a fairly substantial amount of weight, and since they are expensive, I'd like to get closer to goal before purchasing one if possible. If I do get to a point where I feel like my core is the issue before getting close to goal weight, I'll reconsider.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Depends on the % of my 1RM, or what I feel like doing... I still do beltless work, but I put on a belt when I start getting closer to 1rm, or if I'm going for a challenging AMRAP set. Helps as a cueing mechanism to help you to remember to create intra-abdominal pressure and staying tight (better form, reduced risk of injury) overall.

I have a 10mm Inzer Forever belt and I <3 it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't own one and have never used one. I think they can be helpful to people who know what the importance of them is (and it's not to support your back) and use them correctly. I prefer lifting without.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. Most of the time for heavy lifts and long training sessions that require lots of compound movements.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    yes, i put mine on when i reach about 50% max on my bench, squat and dl. I don't wear it for any other exercises. I use it to brace my core against, it helps with the core strength to get through those sticking points. i have the inzer 10mm single prong, i love it.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I don't use them

I want to strengthen my core and use good form

I don't do 1 rep max lifts. I will do a 3 rep max lift and try it twice if I really want to bring the pain.

Some love the belts.

Your mileage may vary

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Depends on the % of my 1RM, or what I feel like doing... I still do beltless work, but I put on a belt when I start getting closer to 1rm, or if I'm going for a challenging AMRAP set. Helps as a cueing mechanism to help you to remember to create intra-abdominal pressure and staying tight (better form, reduced risk of injury) overall.

I have a 10mm Inzer Forever belt and I <3 it.
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    yes, i put mine on when i reach about 50% max on my bench, squat and dl. I don't wear it for any other exercises. I use it to brace my core against, it helps with the core strength to get through those sticking points. i have the inzer 10mm single prong, i love it.

Both of these. I tend to start wearing mine when I'm closing in on 70% of my max and wear mine loose - it's there to help create the intra abdominal pressure by giving me something to push against.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

nods
    I use mine around 60-80% of my 1 rmp- I mostly use mine for squatting- my ability to brace is lacking- so I do the best I can up to around 175-195- and quiet honestly it totally depends on how I'm feeling that day on when I bust it out. Once I use it for that lift- even if my weights go back down- I mostly will keep it on.

I don't use mine to bench- I probably should- might help- but I feel weird about it so I haven't.

I still prefer to work as hard as I can without it- and I'm quiet happy to say my ability to work at a stable level has gone up- last year 175 was belted- this year I can work comfortably up to 195 with out it. So I keep working to work higher without it- but as soon as I feel like I'm not bracing well I put it on. no qualms about it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I don't use mine to bench- I probably should- might help- but I feel weird about it so I haven't.

When i'm benching alone at the gym, i don't put my belt on. i don't think it actually kicks in until i'm about 90-95% max, and i can't get that heavy without a spotter. I'll put it on when i'm with my coach around 50% cuz she tells me to. and I have to have it super tight on those max lifts before i actually think i'm using it, and i could probably bench my max without it. Its a tough call, if someone is screaming at me "use your belt" mid lift, i'll engage it, but i don't know if its actually helping me on the bench.

The squat and DL however, i feel it start to kick in right away about 70-75%, i absolutely need to have it to max those lifts. I get tons of power out of being able to brace against it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

When i'm benching alone at the gym, i don't put my belt on. i don't think it actually kicks in until i'm about 90-95% max, and i can't get that heavy without a spotter. I'll put it on when i'm with my coach around 50% cuz she tells me to. and I have to have it super tight on those max lifts before i actually think i'm using it, and i could probably bench my max without it. Its a tough call, if someone is screaming at me "use your belt" mid lift, i'll engage it, but i don't know if its actually helping me on the bench.

The squat and DL however, i feel it start to kick in right away about 70-75%, i absolutely need to have it to max those lifts. I get tons of power out of being able to brace against it.

yeppers... Squats and deads it's a much more intuitive. same same.

Except I don't have a coach or anyone yelling at me LOL- I should though at some point. LOL
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    As many have mentioned, I only use it for 1RM attempts (or very close) and AMRAP work. All warm-up and volume work is done beltless.

Having said that, I doubt it matters much, it's more of a convenience and comfort thing than anything. You can build an extremely strong core with or without a belt.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you are purposely avoiding wearing a belt on the basis that you are tying to train Your core... You could well be leaving pounds on the table for little advantage. There is no clear evidence a belt inhibits core strength development and it's possible it might actually help

http://www.strengtheory.com/the-belt-bible/
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Right now only for squats and only when I'm hitting close to 90% ~ 300 for me.
    Doing singles with 315 on DL no. Haven't hit a peak yet that would require a belt. Even my max at 335 on DL was belt less as I think I have a ways to go.
    Never for bench. Most pl comps I know of don't allow belts for bench.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I own one and the sole purpose is for core stability for heavy lifts. Basically if your lower back and/or abs are sketchy when you get to really heavy lifts that's when you use it because you should be keeping a strong tight core with deadlifts and squats. I have a bad lower back (military related injury) and had surgery so the belt is my best friend for when I need it. To keep it 100, you should try to avoid having to rely on a belt and building your core strength.