Hypertrophy Training

Options
Can anyone explain to me hypertrophy training vs. strength training? I am basically doing strength training at the moment, recomping. Thanks

Replies

• vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    not an expert by far but I think hypertrophy refers to lifting heavy at low set/rep ranges in order for the muscles to get bigger quickly, as opposed to more reps with lower weights for other strength training
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It goes much more in depth than this but for the sake of a short answer... One is geared more towards muscle development and the other is geared more towards over all strength.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    not an expert by far but I think hypertrophy refers to lifting heavy at low set/rep ranges in order for the muscles to get bigger quickly, as opposed to more reps with lower weights for other strength training

You have it basically backwards.

But, yes - hypertrophy training is typically a moderate weight with moderate reps (think 10-15, for most muscle groups) and low-moderate rest (think 1-2 minutes). This stimulates muscle growth, but less strength (immediately) gained.

Strength training is typically heavier weight with lower reps (think 3-5, usually, but 1-2 or even up to 6 isn't unheard of) and longer rest (usually 3-5 minutes). This typically stimulates neuromuscular adaptations, with less muscle growth.

Those are generalizations, as there are - in some cases - overlap and/or differences depending upon which muscle group you're looking at.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    TR0berts summed it up.

OP, in a recomp it's nice to have a mix of both. What program are you doing?
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Both (low weight high rep and heavy load low rep) induce hypertrophy.

Heavy/Low induces myfibrillar hypertrophy wherein your body adapts to create more muscle fibers (just in case you decide to push your limits again).

Light/high induces sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which is the thickening of existing muscle fibers. Basically, your muscles are doing a bunch of work causing little micro tears and there is a bunch of blood rushing in to help the healing process that your body senses that your muscles are in need of fortification. This makes you body thicken those muscle fibers so that they can handle the extra stress when you advance in weight or amount of work.

Obviously these are not absolute and you may have a small amount of cross over as far as creating more muscle fibers and making your existing ones thicker.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Both (low weight high rep and heavy load low rep) induce hypertrophy.

Heavy/Low induces myfibrillar hypertrophy wherein your body adapts to create more muscle fibers (just in case you decide to push your limits again).

Light/high induces sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which is the thickening of existing muscle fibers. Basically, your muscles are doing a bunch of work causing little micro tears and there is a bunch of blood rushing in to help the healing process that your body senses that your muscles are in need of fortification. This makes you body thicken those muscle fibers so that they can handle the extra stress when you advance in weight or amount of work.

Obviously these are not absolute and you may have a small amount of cross over as far as creating more muscle fibers and making your existing ones thicker.

No, this is a myth. You can't specifically train for one or the other fiber type. See link provided which in turn provides various links to scientific studies refuting.
    http://baye.com/myth-of-sarcoplasmic-versus-myofibrillar-hypertrophy/

Also see latest study by Brad Shoenfeld http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24714538 which basically states "In conclusion, this study showed that both bodybuilding- and powerlifting-type training promote similar increases in muscular size, but powerlifting-type training is superior for enhancing maximal strength"
    Bodybuilding style training (less weight/more reps comparatively than strength focused) allows for greater hypertrophy due to the ability to recover sooner, thus being able to do more work/volume over a period of time compared to strength training where recovery is harder, thus less volume comparatively over time.
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am not on any specific program but I lift 5 days a week. Mondays and Fridays, I do most leg work, squats, lunges, deadlift etc. all heavy. Tues, Thursday, Saturday, upper body, I alternate heavy one day, next session moderate weights 4x21, chest, back, biceps, triceps, shoulders etc.

Thank you guys for the information, I do have a better understanding what hypertropy is.
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options

This Is Not Correct..

To Keep It Simple-
    Hypertropy Is A Way To Train For Gaining Muscle- with That Said You Train With Moderate Weight At Higher Rep Ranges - 8, 10, 12, Even 15 Reps -

For Strength You Train With Heavy Weight At Less Reps ..
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    dredremeg wrote: »
    I am not on any specific program but I lift 5 days a week. Mondays and Fridays, I do most leg work, squats, lunges, deadlift etc. all heavy. Tues, Thursday, Saturday, upper body, I alternate heavy one day, next session moderate weights 4x21, chest, back, biceps, triceps, shoulders etc.

Thank you guys for the information, I do have a better understanding what hypertropy is.

Sounds a little all over the place. With how much you train, I suggest a true program. You might like PHAT if you really lift that often, or PHUL if you want a 4 day upper/lower split.
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I will google the two programs. Thanks
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well hypertrophy is the increase in muscle size thus body builders often refer to this. Strength training typically invokes increasing slightly more and more weight and volume (progressive overload) which increases muscle size and leads to hypertrophy. Of course those power lifters training for strength will experience hypertrophy but the main goal (in general for them) is not necessarily to be aesthetic its to be strong to lift/push more. You can definitely get muscular / lean mass/ aesthetic ,toned, doing strength training and I would encourage it (IMHO).