What should I eat before an early morning run

Options
2»

Replies

• 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I can't eat anything before I run - did my 16 miler on Sunday with only a cup of coffee. The afterwards I FEAST!!

Jen

jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt eat anything. THeres alot of good info on how Fasting Cardio really is more effective.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I run on empty and eat later. But that's just me :)

This. Especially for a run lasting 30 minutes.

If you were going on a longer run, something exceeding an hour, I think some kind of pre-run fuel would be more important. Even for those longer runs I often just have coffee before I go.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't eat before I run, but I used to drink a small glass of milk before I ran.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The book Racing Weight answers a lot of reasons why to run on an empty stomach or with food. I'm an empty stomach runner and early AM runner. I just don't have it in me to eat that early when I'm headed out the door and trying to get my run in before having to get to work. So I get up at 5 - am out the door by 515, it would never work for me to eat. I've done up to 20 mile runs on empty stomachs, only taking in carbs at mile 12 or so. There was a great article in Biking magazine about how it was all what you trained your body to expect, very interesting. I put Ultima in my water and go. Sometimes, I may eat a few espresso beans, or maybe a spoonful of Honey if I really think that I'm in need of an extra kick, but for the most part, I'm not an eater when I run.

Especially with a 30 minute run, you may find your weight loss or fat loss more successful by not eating before you go and taking in protein when you get back, greek yogurt is one of my favorite after run foods.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I do most of my running early in the morning. I always have a coffee before I go out, but rarely anything to eat for runs of 60-90 mins. When I used to do longer runs I would have something light, maybe a low fat yoghurt or a slice of toast. I did experiment with porridge before runs, but it has to have plenty of milk added or it makes me gag before I even start running :sick:

I work on the assumption that working out on an empty stomach forces my body to use my fat reserves as fuel, but I've got plenty of reserves to burn :ohwell:.
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I awake an hour earlier than I plan to run and have a bar and tea with milk, then I catch up on work while I digest before my run. It is nice to be up with the sun and my runs have improved tremendously since I started eating beforehand.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm usually good with a banana right before I go, or with nothing. I like to come back, stretch and shower, then have a real breakfast.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt eat anything. THeres alot of good info on how Fasting Cardio really is more effective.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    i don't. I run about 3 miles, then I eat. Fasted cardio has benefits. I eat before crossfit and weight training tho.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I stop eating relatively early in the evenings so I need something before the gym/a run in the mornings. I usually have an egg or a homemade protein bar. Sometimes I only eat half because I get nauseous when I eat too early in the morning, but I do need something or I have much less stamina.

I'm not trying to rush through the process of getting more fit so I don't care if running on an empty stomach is "more effective".
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    What I eat all depends on how far I'm going. If it's in the morning before work, I just make sure I am hydrated because there's a good chance I won't go longer than 4 miles. So What I do is when I wake up is chug what's left of my water (in a 24 oz cup) that's next to my bed and then get ready to head out the door. The first mile might be a bit slow but then it feels a ton better later. If it's the weekend and I go on my long runs (6+ Miles) I drink a large glass of milk about an hour before I head out the door in addition to the water I drink. If it's hot and I'm running around 10 miles, I'll add in a small cup of yogurt.
  • fastfree2003
    Options
    I have been running for 17 years going long distance. I go on morning runs of 6 miles or less by just having coffee, juice, slice of peanut butter bread or one banana. High fiber or high protein before a run may not settle too well in your stomach. Keep strong!!