How do I maintain my weight, but get a flat stomach?

Hi there!
I have a problem. You see, I'm a good weight for my height, but I don't have a flat stomach. It's one of my big goals, how would yall suggest I meet it?

Replies

• jlbrown1985
    jlbrown1985 Posts: 136 Member
    I posted something similar to this last week and the general consensus was that I needed to lower my body fat and lift weights. I don't disagree but I am still curious to see what kind of answers you get.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Follow a progressive lifting program, eat around maintenance and get enough protein.
  • TheChangeIsNow
    TheChangeIsNow Posts: 48 Member
    I hear you on this! I still have some weight to get off, but my trouble spot is definitely my stomach. I'd be curious to hear the answers you get.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Follow a progressive lifting program, eat around maintenance and get enough protein.

This.
    Read the recomposition thread in this sub forum ;)

• TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    What they said, particularly usmcmp.
  • usmcmp
    To explain a little about your situation and how to fix it:

You are at a normal weight for your height, but not liking your stomach comes down to your body fat percentage. The way to fix that is to lose more fat. You're at the point where losing weight might be okay for a little bit, but you could end up underweight by the time the fat is gone. How we fix this is by adding muscle.

To many women the thought of adding muscle is terrifying. Many of us don't want to look "manly" or "bulky". Thankfully, for many of us biology is on our side keeping our muscle gains smaller. Following strength programs (5x5 programs) results in adding muscle without adding a lot of size. The muscle is also more dense than fat, so the muscle you do add will take up less space than the fat.

Through adding muscle we slowly increase our BMR. We also improve our body composition. Increasing muscle and decreasing fat results in a leaner body. Beginning lifters can add muscle on a deficit, but eating at your maintenance number will feed your muscles even more. You may find in the end that you weigh more than you planned or you may find you need to focus on losing fat again at some point. It's a long process, but the results are nice.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    I agree with upping protein and lifting. I am actually a little above "ideal" for my height but it is where I chose to stay because it is where *I* think I look best and feel more comfortable. I've had four kids. I have a flat stomach. I gained it a couple years after having my second when I got serious about lifting again like I had in school. I'm by no means shredded and you definitely can't see my ab muscles...and you never will because I have no desire to lower my body fat that much nor do I want for my abs to be visible. Personal preference.
  • nikohki
    nikohki Posts: 1 Member

You are at a normal weight for your height, but not liking your stomach comes down to your body fat percentage. The way to fix that is to lose more fat. You're at the point where losing weight might be okay for a little bit, but you could end up underweight by the time the fat is gone. How we fix this is by adding muscle.

To many women the thought of adding muscle is terrifying. Many of us don't want to look "manly" or "bulky". Thankfully, for many of us biology is on our side keeping our muscle gains smaller. Following strength programs (5x5 programs) results in adding muscle without adding a lot of size. The muscle is also more dense than fat, so the muscle you do add will take up less space than the fat.

Through adding muscle we slowly increase our BMR. We also improve our body composition. Increasing muscle and decreasing fat results in a leaner body. Beginning lifters can add muscle on a deficit, but eating at your maintenance number will feed your muscles even more. You may find in the end that you weigh more than you planned or you may find you need to focus on losing fat again at some point. It's a long process, but the results are nice.

Quoted for truth.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member

Well said!

• DeeDeeS13
    DeeDeeS13 Posts: 28 Member
    Sounds like good info from usmcmp. I will use this info - hoping to build more muscle. I'm over 50, so would like to approaching the later years with healthier muscle mass. (lean muscle)
  • usmcmp
    DeeDeeS13 wrote: »
    Sounds like good info from usmcmp. I will use this info - hoping to build more muscle. I'm over 50, so would like to approaching the later years with healthier muscle mass. (lean muscle)

Lifting helps strengthen bones as well, which is important for women as we age.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    How important is Nutrition?
    I now lift and have upped my Protein....but i do eat quite a lot of Processed Foods.
    Will this hinder any progress?
  • usmcmp
    How can you not promote your own thread usmcmp? It rocks. Bam:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Sometimes I feel like sending people to a post with 60 pages frustrates them. They fear they won't get an answer if they reply to the post since it has 1.8K responses.
  • usmcmp
    How important is Nutrition?
    I now lift and have upped my Protein....but i do eat quite a lot of Processed Foods.
    Will this hinder any progress?

No. Calories are the most important, then macros (protein being the most important). After that you should consider your micros, but those are generally covered by eating some fruits and vegetables. You should then feel free to eat things you enjoy.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    I lift and eat at maintenance and after about a month or a bit more, I have lost another inch from my waist and an inch from my calves. I have stayed within the 2lb range that my body fluctuates in.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Core work. Your tummy can flop out even if it's not covered in excessive fat, if the muscles aren't strong.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    How can you not promote your own thread usmcmp? It rocks. Bam:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Sometimes I feel like sending people to a post with 60 pages frustrates them. They fear they won't get an answer if they reply to the post since it has 1.8K responses.
    True :)
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited July 2015
    Listen to usmcmp. Finally decided to recomp with her advice and have lost a jean size with heavy lifting, adequate protein and maintenance calories. I have been trying to get back to that size for years by losing the "last 5 pounds" but now I'm finally get smaller by eating more.
  • raregem99
    raregem99 Posts: 88 Member
    Hi there!
    I have a problem. You see, I'm a good weight for my height, but I don't have a flat stomach. It's one of my big goals, how would yall suggest I meet it?

You probably won't hear anyone else say this but it's entirely up to you to take the advice or not lol. Because I have specific things I want for my waist, I pick and choose what things I need to do for my own preferences.

For you, if you don't want so much abs but more of a tucked in waist/smaller appearance and since you're already 'a good weight', take it back to old school. People will laugh but, Google Callanetics by Callan Pinckney, Barre exercises, Jane Fonda workouts. Focus on the workouts that target the waist specially if you don't want other areas to reflect what the teachers body looks like. For example, you will notice how lean their legs are but not much muscle mass if that is not your thing.

Learn to always pull your waist in, all day long, no matter what you're doing. This isometric/isotonic (I don't know which one) exercise is what kept me with a flat stomach at 196 lbs, not genetics. It will take time to remember to do this but once you get the habit down, you'll feel uncomfortable with just letting your stomach be fully relaxed and stick out. You'll start to add definition very slowly and train your girdle inward.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Find a weight lifting and AB routine that challanges you. Continue with your diet. Once you feel your ABs are strong and can physically feel them, then slowly diet down to make them visiable. However, from past experience it isnt a good idea to stay at a low BF% for an extended period.