How do I cut down on my soda intake?

Options
Hello!
Okay so, I drink a lot of soda. Like we are talking 3-5 cans a day. I know it isn't healthy, but I just crave them so bad and get headaches if I don't drink them. What do yall suggest I do to dull the cravings and possibly cut soda out of my diet all together?

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    It's most likely the caffeine giving you a headache when you don't drink them.

Say you drink 5 cans a day. Week 1, drink 5 cans/ Week 2 cut down to 4 cans/ Week three cut down to 3 cans and so on.

There isn't really anything wrong with having a can of soda here and there as long as they fit into your calorie goals for the day.

You can also switch to diet soda which is zero calorie.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I put lemon wedges in water bottle add 1/3 of the bottlw with water. Frreze. when ready to drink add water and shake.Yummy,cold lemon water. Vitam c, anti inflamatory. I still allow my self 1 can every other day. This is also good with lemon and ginger.Good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    drink more water.

stop buying them.

• lx3tx
    lx3tx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I previously called myself a soda addict. I had to have a few diet cokes everyday, and then I discovered La Croix. I like them since they don't have sugar or artificial sweetener. Now I drink those and only about one a day, and I don't feel the need to have a soda. I guess I was just a fan of the bubbles in soda.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I still drink diet soda (in moderation).....lifestyle changes.

Anyway....I agree with Troutsy.....as for the headaches, it's the caffeine. I drink unsweetened iced tea. Get some flavored tea bags. Then make a slightly fruity iced tea. Often no sugar is needed. I'm drinking Lipton Bavarian Berry tea (for lunch).
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to be so dependent on soda I would wake up in the middle of the night and wouldn't be able to go back to sleep unless I had a soda! I brought myself down to 1 a day by drinking Capri Suns (which I then weaned myself off of due to the sugar) and putting lemon and lime juice in ice water. More recently, I broke myself of the 1-a-day habit by switching to flavored sparkling water in cans - no calories, no sodium, no caffeine, but you get that initial feeling of something sweet and cold and carbonated washing down your throat. Let's face it, what we usually can't stop thinking about is that first drink after popping open the can.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You might try sparkling water, preferably with only lemon or with fruit juice to flavor it. Flavor packets are just a different source of many of the same chemicals, so I don't think they're functionally any different. I found I actually started to enjoy water once I started drinking more of it.
  • Snowhappens
    Snowhappens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda - but I don't think its the healthiest option to drink ALL the time. So I keep a water bottle at my desk - I drink more with ice water to I fill it with ice at work. I don't buy soda for the house anymore and try to limit to one glass when Im out to dinner. I'm not prefect and sometime I run to the corner store for a splurge.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had to give up soda entirely, as well as anything else sweet or I craved soda. Moderation did not work for me. Don't buy it and don't carry change.

I got the headaches too - it wasn't the caffeine. For me it was (like) a sugar withdrawal. Perhaps it had something to do with blood sugar swings. Anyways, if something (nonessential to life) is giving you pain when you go without it, I think that is a pretty good sign that you should live without it.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    switch over to flavored, sparkling spring water for a while, then wean yourself off to just plain water. It can happen. I am living proof. It took about 4 to 6 months for me but I go through a 32-pack of bottled water each week, by myself, not including my diet green tea.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I used to drink nothing but coke. 6-7 a day.

I just made a rule. I couldn't have one until I'd had a glass of water. Then, two glasses of water, then only with a meal. Now I have a few sips with dinner, because I still love me some coke.
  • marinesKiwee
    marinesKiwee Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I had to quit cold turkey, stepping down wasn't working for me. Now I drink an energy supplement in the AM (for me I like advocare spark) and then infused or plain water
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Go to a dietician and have them freak you out. Get your mom to give you a lecture.
    Think everytime you drink one that you're wrecking your body.
    Soda's sweetner is fructose. Google that and read some terrible articles.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Taper it down. I drank more than you did, diet pop was pretty much all I ever drank. I'd quit, but I'd always pick it back up. I doubt anyone quit pop as much as I did.

Cold Turkey brings headaches in a BIG way. Being outside, especially swimming, helps a lot. Advil...not really. Not much, anyway.

Tapering lets you quit with less headache ordeal, but you have to be really committed to doing it. Just keep drinking less and less until you're done. It helped me to get the 2-liter bottles. They go flat pretty quickly, so they're less fun (or refreshing or whathaveyou) to drink than fresh, fizzy pop.

Those plastic bottles are nice because they hurt so much to open, but are more expensive.

Good luck!
  • Name_Me_Whatever
    Name_Me_Whatever Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use to drink Mt Dew everyday! Just stop! It's that simple!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    There are some great ideas in this thread! I can't relate to your soda cravings, but the headaches are likely caffeine withdrawal or dehydration. Try to add water to your day (I have to flavor mine with fruit, lemon or liquid Crystal Light) because it's amazing how much being hydrated can reduce headaches. Try to find a caffeine alternative (like coffee or tea) that can help you get over the hump. I personally don't believe in entirely cutting things I like, but reducing it to a healthier level is a great idea! Good luck, OP!
  • KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I used to drink lot of soda as well. I just ended up stopping drinking it cold turkey and started drinking lots of water. I felt so good after it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the headaches are due to cutting caffeine.

So the easiest option is to switch to a lower or no-calorie caffeine source. Black coffee or diet soda, for example. I love black coffee and see no reason to quit it. I do from time to time if my intake seems to be creeping up, that's all.

It's better to drink some water and not just soda, so I like Virgoddess' idea above about telling yourself you can only have another beverage if you also drink a glass of water IF you aren't currently in the habit of drinking water. (If you are, great!)

This is based on the assumption that your concern about cutting out soda is due to the calories and effect on your weight loss. If not, I'd question whether you need to worry about it now, as it can be easier to focus on one thing at a time and cutting calories is already a big step. (For example, I quit coffee for a while this year, but did it when I was basically at maintenance, not when I first started losing weight, because why deprive myself of an almost no calorie beverage I enjoy at the same time I'm dealing with other changes?)

If you do think you need to cut out caffeine now too, the easiest way is tapering--cut out one can a week or every few days. And realize you might feel a bit tired for a bit. Find a low or no caffeine beverage you enjoy--I sometimes like fizzy water, and I love chilling teas, especially the fruitier herbal ones and some of the Yogi brands (although many of these have caffeine).
  • Stephanie3399
    Stephanie3399 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I drink advocare spark! I water it down a good bit, so it taste like flavored water! It had caffeine for energy and lots of vitamins and minerals that are good for you! :)