can nutrition affect strength?

Options
this is probably a dumb question but I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong. last wednesday I started my squats at 75lbs and added 10lbs per set, my last set was 115lbs(x10). I had a crazy week and wasnt able to work out again until last night, so 3 days off. during those 3 days I didn't eat nearly enough. yesterday I ate a little more (1 ego waffle, 1/2 can of tomato soup then was going to have a boca burger with no bun but I kept getting lightheaded and my mind was foggy so I ate it w/2 slices wheat bread and shared a drumstick with my hubby). I felt so much better after I ate but when I went to work out everything felt unusually heavy! I started squats at 85lbs and added weights but even the 1st set felt heavy! I got to 115 again but I could only do 5 reps and I don't count the last 2 bc I lost my form. then I deadlifted and my heart stared racing and I felt like I was going to pass out for a good 10mins (not the usual quick dizzy spell) I stopped my workout and was pissed! did I lose muscle from not working out for 3 days or did it have something to do with my food intake? I've worked so hard to lose weight and gain muscle so when I lost strength it was so discouraging.

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I have occasional days where I feel weak because I've been under eating for a few days in a row. When I bump up my intake again the strength comes back within a day or so. When I feel weak, I can still hit my weights reps and sets, I just need longer rest periods.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    are you drinking enough water? i don't think a day or two of not eating enough will mess up a workout, i think maybe a few weeks or months of poor nutrition will be noticeable. There are so many factors that can go into a weak workout, like a restless night sleep, dehydration, stress at work or home, not enough recovery days from your last workout etc.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    humm so it's probably not the food becase I only underate for 4 days. I.didn't even think about water but that does make sense. I usually drink a lot of water but yesterday I was tired and drank coffee all day, hardly had any water. ill try to force myself to drink a lot of water today and see if my workout is more productive. thank you!
  • boogiewookie
    Options
    just to clarify, 3 days away from my.gym isn't long enough to lose strength/muscle?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    3 days not lifting had nothing to do with it. It was either the severe under eating or just a bad day. Sometimes you have bad days in the gym, but the way you described things, you didn't eat enough.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Available stored Glycogen levels and hydration levels can have a significant impact on strength.

Sounds like you ran the tank down, then tried to top it off right before your workout. Probably needed more time to digest and extract nutrients from your meal before hitting the gym.

Its temporary ... you didn't lose and you won't gain any significant amount of muscle in that short of a time period.

I would definitely chalk it up to the poor nutrition and hectic few days prior that you described.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    just to clarify, 3 days away from my.gym isn't long enough to lose strength/muscle?

Not even close. It takes weeks to lose strength.

Nutrition, hydration and rest will all have major impacts on your lifting. In fact, I would say they are the most important aspects of making progress in your lifts.
  • millej49
    millej49 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As was mentioned above, it's definitely not muscle loss. However, the fatigue itself can come from diet issues. If you don't eat well you won't have any energy to give to your muscles (like driving a car with no petrol). What I do is eat a 1/4 cup of nuts (one handful for me) or sunflower seeds 30-60 min before an afternoon workout. The proteins and fats in the nuts or seeds will break down and help provide that little bit of an energy boost later in the day.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    How much of a calorie deficit are you generally in? If you were lightheaded and foggy and this happens often you might be way too far under your calorie needs and it finally caught up with you.

Most beginner lifting programs have a 2 day break programmed in them so a 3 day rest isn't going to do anything to you except make you ready for your next lifting day.
  • boogiewookie
    Options
    this is her husband, doesnt happen very often but I told her all of these things and I WAS RIGHT! SHE SAID SO!
  • boogiewookie
    Options
    ok yes he was right but he also saw the temper tantrum I threw when I thought I lost the muscle I've worked so hard to put on so I wanted to check here to make sure he wasn't just making up excuses to make me feel better. he's doing an "I was right" dance lol
  • boogiewookie
    Options
    I know I've been undereating but eating too much is the reason I put on weight so I'm overly cautious now