Running Shoes

Options
MonkeyMel21
MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
Hello, MFP.

I need to get a new pair of running shoes. I used aisics for several years till recently I felt like they just weren't lasting as long. I thought I would give Brooks a try, I got the Ravenna fitted for me after getting videoed while running. They are ok....but I feel like they wore out even faster than the aisics and just over all not truly impressed. I used to get saucony in high school but that's been about 10 years, lol. What do you all suggest? I run about half on the treadmill and half on the street. Not more than 10-15 miles a week (2-4 miles at a time). Also, I'm curious if there's a difference between buying online and buying at a running store (aside from actually getting to try them on)? I have $200 in reward points that I can use on Amazon. I see a wide variety of shoes on there but it seems like the prices change per color and size?? idk. Anyway, I need new running shoes, thank you, the end.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Go to your running store. Ask them to analyse your gait etc. They'll give you a selection of shoes which fit you.

Don't buy them.

Go to Amazon.

Buy the shoes.

You'll probably save some money.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Go to your running store. Ask them to analyse your gait etc. They'll give you a selection of shoes which fit you.

Don't buy them.

Go to Amazon.

Buy the shoes.

+1

Getting your gait analyzed could save you some podiatry problems in the future by making sure you have the proper support for your feet.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Oh OP, wait until the 15th of this month too. It's meant to be the Amazon Prime sale and you could save some more money.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options

Don't buy them.

Go to Amazon.

Buy the shoes.

Yeah? They'll be the same exact shoe then?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Don't buy them.

Go to Amazon.

Buy the shoes.

Yes... they'll be cheaper online though.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Oh OP, wait until the 15th of this month too. It's meant to be the Amazon Prime sale and you could save some more money.
    Nice, but I don't have Prime.

And yes, I go to the running store every year when I get my new shoes, they just don't ever seem to offer me anything other than aisics, lol. Which would be fine if they started making the quality better.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

And yes, I go to the running store every year when I get my new shoes, they just don't ever seem to offer me anything other than aisics, lol. Which would be fine if they started making the quality better.

If you put your debit/credit card details up for prime, but just use the trial... you'll be eligible for the Amazon Prime Sale. It's a 30 day trial and you can cancel whenever, no money is taken out until it's over.

• MonkeyMel21
    Options

Don't buy them.

Go to Amazon.

Buy the shoes.

Right. I just mean they won't be knock offs or lower quality.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Don't buy them.

Go to Amazon.

Buy the shoes.

Right. I just mean they won't be knock offs or lower quality.

No. It's pretty hard to find knock offs on Amazon (at least that's how I've found it). When you come to buying them, it will say which vendor or store is selling it. Usually, it will be an official stockist of the shoe or the actual company.

But I assure you, 99.9% of the time you will not buy a fake... it's pretty hard on Amazon.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options

If you put your debit/credit card details up for prime, but just use the trial... you'll be eligible for the Amazon Prime Sale. It's a 30 day trial and you can cancel whenever, no money is taken out until it's over.

Ok, thanks!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Hello, MFP.

I need to get a new pair of running shoes. I used aisics for several years till recently I felt like they just weren't lasting as long. I thought I would give Brooks a try, I got the Ravenna fitted for me after getting videoed while running. They are ok....but I feel like they wore out even faster than the aisics and just over all not truly impressed. I used to get saucony in high school but that's been about 10 years, lol. What do you all suggest? I run about half on the treadmill and half on the street. Not more than 10-15 miles a week (2-4 miles at a time). Also, I'm curious if there's a difference between buying online and buying at a running store (aside from actually getting to try them on)? I have $200 in reward points that I can use on Amazon. I see a wide variety of shoes on there but it seems like the prices change per color and size?? idk. Anyway, I need new running shoes, thank you, the end.

Yeah, Brooks completely changed (FUBARed) the Ravenna with the 2015/Ravenna 6 model. You don't want the new ones anyway.

However, Asics *also* changed their similar GT-2000 and I seem to be getting decent mileage out of it. (I am very hard on shoes). Before this, I haven't been able to wear Asics for about 7 years, so I don't have much comparison.

Other similar ones you could try: Saucony Guide, New Balance 870 or 890, Mizuno Wave Inspire, Adidas Supernova Sequence, Skechers GoRun Ride (these wore out very fast for me, but they are much cheaper than other running shoes, so could be worth it on a 10-15 mi/week schedule).

Also, IF you go to a running store and get fitted again, buy that pair of shoes AT YOUR RUNNING STORE. They did you a solid; return the favor. :) Then order future pairs online. I like Running Warehouse, personally, or 6pm for last year's models cheap.
  • runrogerrun
    runrogerrun Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I buy the style recommended first from a local running store. Then go on line (Joe's New Balance as I am a New Balance guy when I am ready to purchase my next pair from any where between 30 and 40 bucks off including shipping. Love Joe's New Balance.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Don't buy them.

Go to Amazon.

Buy the shoes.

This is a terrible idea.

Support your local running store. LRSs do great things to foster running in your community--advocating for trail/path construction, pedestrian safety measures, crosswalks at traffic lights, supporting local races.

If you go in for a fitting and like what they put you in, buy the darn shoes. Sure, buy future pairs online, but don't fall in love with shoes and then give the employee who helped you the metaphorical finger.

Now, there is a good argument to be made for picking out running shoes based on looks rather than "professional fit"--I've always done better in shoes where I was just like, "Ooh, how pretty" than what a store put me in. BUT. If you choose to take advantage of a free service, buy the darn shoes.

If money is a big enough concern that $10-30 means you cannot pay your rent, I suggest checking out DSW or Kohl's online--they have very good selections of lower-end running shoes from reputable brands (Asics, Saucony, NB) that will be just fine for 10-15 mi/week.
  • sun_tzu
    sun_tzu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just got new wheels myself. I ended up in a pair of Newtons, which I had never owned before and after two training sessions over the weekend, I love them. The thing is, I never would have bought these shoes without going to a running shoe store. Since I last bought shoes, I have worked with a running coach on my form and have lost about 40 pounds. Both of these impact how I run, and the runner/salesperson at the specialty running store (SRS) could see it in my form. Before I settled on the Newtons, I tried on 12 different shoes and actually ran around the block in 8 of those to get a feel for them. I went from an 8mm drop shoe to the Newton with a 3mm drop that fits my feet and my form very well.

The point of the story is that your running style is not a static thing. I always go to SRS to get shoes and every time, I learn something from other runners. If I went to Amazon, I miss out on that advice and education.

I will say that I did buy shoes on Amazon once, but I knew exactly what I wanted/needed. It was an circumstance where the SRS did not have a wide in the shoe I wanted and I could not come back in a week when they ordered it. So, I have done both, but strongly prefer the SRS.

I would use the Amazon credit to get other running gear and maybe some running books.
  • Butt_Kiss
    Butt_Kiss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i used nike pegasus but they get really crappy after 4 months
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Not real advice on what type of shoe lasts longest but I buy shoes from Amazon all the time and I've always gotten what I ordered with no issues!

I usually run in New Balance Minimus but they don't last long IMO. They are just the only shoes that I can run comfortably in for some reason.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Don't buy them.

Go to Amazon.

Buy the shoes.

This is a terrible idea.

Support your local running store. LRSs do great things to foster running in your community--advocating for trail/path construction, pedestrian safety measures, crosswalks at traffic lights, supporting local races.

If you go in for a fitting and like what they put you in, buy the darn shoes. Sure, buy future pairs online, but don't fall in love with shoes and then give the employee who helped you the metaphorical finger.

Now, there is a good argument to be made for picking out running shoes based on looks rather than "professional fit"--I've always done better in shoes where I was just like, "Ooh, how pretty" than what a store put me in. BUT. If you choose to take advantage of a free service, buy the darn shoes.

If money is a big enough concern that $10-30 means you cannot pay your rent, I suggest checking out DSW or Kohl's online--they have very good selections of lower-end running shoes from reputable brands (Asics, Saucony, NB) that will be just fine for 10-15 mi/week.

+10000000

Where will you go when all the local stores are gone? Good luck guessing which shoe you need online.

I always get my new shoes locally. I then order a second pair online. I usually find I only save $20 anyway.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    OP, do you track the mileage on your shoes, to know how long they're actually lasting? Most models should hold up for 300-500 miles.

As for going to the running store, you can tell them you haven't been happy with Asics and want to try other brands. Everyone's preferences are different and the store employees should be able to pull a model from another brand that works for your gait for you to try.

If you know your gait, you can try some models of other brands until you find something you like by yourself. All the major brands' websites should list what kind of gait their shoes are for. Someone else mentioned getting a lower-end model, and I agree, since you don't run that much per week.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

+10000000

Where will you go when all the local stores are gone? Good luck guessing which shoe you need online.

I always get my new shoes locally. I then order a second pair online. I usually find I only save $20 anyway.

Yup.

I went to my local store, had them check my gait, got the shoes there. While I was at the checkout holding my wallet, the guy at the register saw my military ID and offered a military discount. Score.

I ordered 2 more pair online. It was worth it to pay a little bit more in person to the folks who took the time to ensure that I had a properly fitting running shoe. Amazon did not check my gait, nor did they make sure I had a proper fitting running shoe. Support your local shop.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    hmrambling wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »

+10000000

Yup.

I went to my local store, had them check my gait, got the shoes there. While I was at the checkout holding my wallet, the guy at the register saw my military ID and offered a military discount. Score.

I ordered 2 more pair online. It was worth it to pay a little bit more in person to the folks who took the time to ensure that I had a properly fitting running shoe. Amazon did not check my gait, nor did they make sure I had a proper fitting running shoe. Support your local shop.

I had a similar experience. I paid for my shoes with my USAA CC and the girl at the register gave me a discount (even though I haven't been in the Army since 1993). I've been a customer there ever since. :smile: