CrossFit versus Orange Theory

Options
Did my third CrossFit class today and I'm officially hooked. Going to cancel my OTF membership and focus on CF 100%. I may do a drop in OTF class each week but I ran my *kitten* of today in CF so may not be needed. Anyone have a similar experience? Pros- Cons?

Replies

• Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm trying cross fit for the first time next week. I don't know as much about it but from what I've heard it's more strength training and orange is more cardio. I will probably stick with orange theory since I have about 50 more pounds to lose, but once I reach my goal away I will probably switch to CrossFit to tone. Does that sound weird?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I'm trying cross fit for the first time next week. I don't know as much about it but from what I've heard it's more strength training and orange is more cardio. I will probably stick with orange theory since I have about 50 more pounds to lose, but once I reach my goal away I will probably switch to CrossFit to tone. Does that sound weird?
    That's a popular way of thinking, however, it's really not the best way. Losing weight 1st and then worrying about strength & "toning" is not the most efficient approach. If you strength train while losing, when you get to your goal, you should already be "toned" instead of just starting to work on that aspect.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this orange theory. I recommend doing some cardio *and* some lifting while you are losing weight. Cardio burns calories and lifting prevents you from losing muscle as you lose the extra fat. It's easier to keep the muscle you have rather than burning part of it off and having to grow it back afterwards. Whether you do cross fit or another program or just go to the gym and build your own routine is up to personal preference.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I just started Crossfit last week. Prior to that I was lifting weights with cardio at the end 5-6 days a week. So far I love CF. I've yet to have an easy workout since the way it's structured, you have to push yourself (if you want to get a true measure of what you can do). I don't know what OT is, but I'm hooked on CF too.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Idk what OT is, but I LOVE cross fit! I've been at my current box for about 4 weeks. Definitely work with a coach and modify to prevent injury in the beginning. It's all about learning good form at first, then focusing on increasing weight ;) Also make sure you're doing your warm ups and getting enough cardio! I struggle with the cardio aspect as my box only likes to run short distances of 400m on a regular basis... It's good to be a well-rounded athlete!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, OT is a group training environment where the goal is to keep your heart rate elevated for a prescribed period of time. Each person wears a monitor and your heart rate is shown on a big scoreboard with everyone else...no cheating!

I haven't tried it, but the concept is interesting.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Would OT be equivalent to HIIT?
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    That's a popular way of thinking, however, it's really not the best way. Losing weight 1st and then worrying about strength & "toning" is not the most efficient approach. If you strength train while losing, when you get to your goal, you should already be "toned" instead of just starting to work on that aspect.

well I half meant that. I still do strength training, and there's still a strength training component to otf, but I just viewed Crossfit as more hard core strength not like A strength component