in search of a plethora of helpful tidbits

Options
Hey myfitnesspal community --

I have used this site/app now and then in the past and it has always been helpful. Sadly I have never made it a true habit. In fact, the only things I have made true habits over the past few years are overeating and being very lazy.
Well.
I am now very overweight and things need to change so my heart doesn't explode.
Due to needing to be serious about this, I want/need as much help as possible. I have a lot of things in place as part of my "plan," but I would love to hear from lots of you on this question:
-- what things have helped you lose weight?
*Please be as specific and holistic as possible -- I love practical advice that speaks to the whole person (physical, emotional, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    1. If you consume fewer calories than you burn off, you will lose weight. If not, you won't.
    2. Don't freak out. Keep to your planned deficit and watch out for brain tendency to think stuff like "if 1500 calories is good, 1400 is even better, and 1300 even better than that" or "if less sugar is good, then zero sugar is great" or "carbs are the devil" and stuff like that. Keep it reasonable and balanced and stick to your plan unless it isn't working.
    3. Work on your fitness - strength, flexibility and cardio capacity - but don't expect that to help your loss along too much. Do it for your health and to have goals that aren't related to the scale, because
    4. The scale is a *kitten*. It might be your best friend one week and your worst enemy the next. Weight loss is a pattern over time, not something that happens at the same rate constantly. Give it a few weeks before you think you've plateaued and manage your emotions when you don't see a number that you like or expect.
    5. Live your life all the time, no waiting until you've lost weight.

:)