TDEE Method

Options
Sorry if this has been overposted. I've been away from the site for a while. In the past I've always used MFP goals and ate back exercise calories. I was thinking of trying the TDEE - 20% method just for simpler logging since I won't have to log exercises anymore. I'll still use fitbit to track my activity but I'll turn off the adjustments. Which method do you guys use and when were you most successful?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    To be honest, both put me in pretty much the same place and was successful with both.
    I preferred MFP because I wasn't always consistent with my exercise so I never had to worry about overeating if I skipped some workouts.

It's basically a matter of preference. Some people like knowing exactly what their calorie goal is going to be everyday.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I use TDEE, I started with a calculation and tracked for 6 weeks to determine my rate of loss and maintenance. I try to be mindful if I don't workout as often or if I eat more some weeks. I prefer having a solid number. (To be fair-I still track my workouts, I just don't give myself exercise calories.)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Perfectly executed, they're basically indistinguishable.

To me, the more consistent you are in your exercise, the more TDEE shines. If you're not as consistent, you'll be setting yourself up to eat too little or, more likely, too much.

I use TDEE because I can be pretty consistent.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    TDEE is well suited for someone that has a very regular and consistent exercise routine. I lift 3x a week and do 3x sessions of HIIT every week and use the TDEE method because I don't miss workouts. If you aren't in a routine than the NEAT method may be better for you.
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Another reason I was thinking of switching methods is I'm about to start a new job. My last job was a desk job and my new job will have me on my feet all day, so that part should keep me consistent and any exercising I do will just be extra calories burned on top of that.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    kayla_who wrote: »
    In the past I've always used MFP goals and ate back exercise calories. I was thinking of trying the TDEE - 20% method just for simpler logging since I won't have to log exercises anymore.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator. If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, eating back your Fitbit adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

Do not log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I've done both and as others have said, they're basically the same. I DO like that my Jawbone does the work for me now.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I prefer MFP. Most of my exercise comes from MapMyRide, so it isn't like I'm going to a lot of trouble enter it. I would be using MapMyRide anyway.