I hate the way my body looks, yet can't stop poisonig my body with crappy food !!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Averell wrote: »
    Diet soda will help at least that part! :)

no, it will not, it raises your insulin level and makes you crave for more food. No soda - period.

Doesn't for me, apparently doesn't for the many diabetics around here who have spoken about switching to diet as a positive change either.

I think some people find it causes them to crave more sweets--that's something you can tell for yourself and make a decision about. But to assume it does for everyone is just not based on anything credible and the personal experiences of many, many people demonstrates otherwise.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wake up in the morning determined to make it a healthy day and sometimes start my day with a healthy shake. I then start to feel hunger pangs so I see what I can find in my kitchen. Because my family is not supportive they have junk food all over the place and because I am at this point hungry I eat whatever crap I can find. I then keep the day going with crappy food because in my head I'm thinking.....killed my day, might as well eat all my temptation away and start healthy again tomorrow.

I'm quoting this, because I think in it you have your solution: plan ahead!

Specifically, if this keeps happening, it seems like the shake isn't working for you. Try some more filling breakfasts and plan it out the day before and have everything on hand. I find oatmeal with some berries and protein powder is really filling for me, or a 2-egg omelet (with veggies and feta). What makes a breakfast filling for me is protein, so if I can't get it in some other way I have some greek yogurt or cottage cheese. I'm not saying this will work for you, but that you should experiment to see what does.

Similarly, have on hand ideas about quick meals to make if you are hungry and the ingredients on hand. I used to come home from work and be hungry and tired and decide to order Indian food or a pizza. Now, because I'm in the habit and know what I can make quickly with ingredients on hand, I can do that instead. You can make this easier for yourself or harder, and if you make it harder it's so much more likely you will fall back into old habits.

Finally, it's going to be a learning process and you aren't going to be perfect right away. Pick a few small things to focus on in week one and try to do them. If you mess up, don't give up for the day or beat yourself up, but think about why you didn't do what you'd intended to--what made it harder for you? Work on that. It gets much easier.

After the first things are down (maybe having a filling breakfast and a plan for a snack if you are hungry), move to something else.

And as others have said, you can fit in favorite foods into your new plan -- it's worth sitting down and logging different options for a day in MFP just to understand what the foods you are used to eating will contribute in terms of calories.

I know you can do this!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12

I agree...it is all about planning.

Last year when I lost 80lbs I didn't plan...just flew by the seat of my pants. It was always a constant struggle.

This time (losing some pounds that I gained back plus a little more) I plan. I keep things cooked and in the refrig that gives me different calorie combinations. I know what breakfasts and snacks that I can have and still have filling lunches and dinners.

Also keeping a well stocked kitchen with items that can be thrown together quickly makes temptations less. When I run out of groceries is when I have a tendency to go for those convenience foods that pushes me on calories. However I have come up with a way to combat that when it occurs. The grocery store is about a mile away. I use that for my morning walk and pick up what I need for the day. This has definitely helped in more ways than one.

I also have a list of convenience foods that I know that I can fit in to my calories or at least stay relatively close. Cause face it...there are just those times that you don't feel like cooking and none of the leftovers sound appealing.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You use a lot of negative and extreme words regarding food. My advice is to stop labeling food as junk, crappy or poison.
    Stop thinking you are destroying your day if you go over your calorie goal a bit. You have to eat about 3500 calories over your maintenance level to gain 1 actual pound.

Think about how some foods have more nutritional benefit for the amount of calories. You aren't doomed if you eat something with less nutrition but maybe you will not think it is as worth it because the empty calories won't help fuel your body as well and you often don't feel as satisfied which leads to overeating. If you think of calories like money and your calorie goal is your budget then you want to get the most bang for your buck.

Eat fewer calories than you burn for weight loss. It doesn't matter what kind of food it is.
    Eat foods you like. Eat in a way you can sustain for the rest of your life. If you can't see giving up a food forever then don't.
    Think about adding foods to your diet rather than cutting out a lot of foods right away. Maybe start with adding more fruits and vegetables to your day.
    Log everything as accurately and honestly as you can even if you are going over or not eating the foods you think are optimal.
    Make sure you get enough protein, fats and fiber. They will help you feel satisfied.
    If you are hungry after eating, drink water or chew gum and wait 20 minutes to an hour to see if the hungry feeling goes away. If it doesn't then get a snack.
    Put food away and/or get out of the kitchen. Get busy with other things.
    Try a different food for breakfast. Shakes do very little for me. I need to chew my food. I do better with certain foods for breakfast.
    I drink water or unsweetened tea mostly so my calories are for food.
    I pre-log my food for the whole day the night before or in the morning. It really helps me not reach for random items. I know I get hungry in the afternoon and evening so I plan a snack for those times that fits my day. Maybe you could plan a morning snack that fits your goal.

• Jessalane0607
    Jessalane0607 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their off days, especially when you are trying to make the change to a healthy life style. Like a few others said, if your body is craving it, eat it. But, within reason and serving wise. Telling yourself you can't have that piece of cake is like a parent telling a two year old not to do something. They're gonna do it anyways just because mom said not to. I KNOW what you are going through. I'm going through it right now. Every day is a struggle; especially at the beginning. So I let myself have that burger, and then take into the account of the calorie and all my other intake stats. So far It's been working. But I've made a huge step (at least I think so) in not craving what I used to crave. Instead I crave bananas, salads, etc. Just keep yourself accountable and use that will power girl. You got this!! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you would benefit from learning how to troubleshoot and modify your behavior. There's a program called the "Chronic Disease Self Management Program" and there are agencies in Texas licensed to offer it. It's not just for seniors, and obesity is a chronic disease!

Try packaging out your entire day in the morning, when you are most motivated. Include all your snacks, your lunch, everything up to supper. I would suggest portioning out more than you have in the past, because you should not allow yourself to get to starving. Fill up a water bottle flavoured perhaps as others have described above. This will extend your discipline throughout the day without depriving yourself too much.

I have a wide range of ziploc bags and snack size containers that I use to package up my meals and snacks in reasonable portions.

Read up on cognitive distortion and "all or nothing thinking", common among dieters. Every positive choice you make in a day is towards your goal. It all counts.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If what you're having for breakfast isn't helping you stay full, reconsider what you're having for breakfast. Try eggs or something with extra protein. Protein and fiber are good ways to help you stay feeling fuller for longer. If nothing else, eat a protein bar with your shake.

The problem you're making is in how you're viewing food. No food is actually bad for you normally. Some foods are bad in excess, but in moderation, you can eat anything you want that can fit into your daily calorie needs. You also have to make the mental shift from 'diet' to 'changing your eating habits'. This is not a diet. A diet ends, and when it ends, you will most likely regain the weight. Changing your eating habits doesn't end, and is a skill that will help you the rest of your life. You need to retrain yourself how to view food and how to make good food choices. And if you screw up one day, oh well. Log it, then start fresh the next day. One bad day isn't going to sabotage your journey. It's just a pothole on the path.

You also need to find your own motivation. Outside support is good, but motivation has to come from within. It's easy for us to say 'you have the willpower, just don't eat the junk!', but that never worked on me. I can sit here and tell you that over and over again until I run out of breath, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if you can't believe it for yourself. You have to find why YOU want to lose weight and make that your motivation. That's what gives you the mental strength to keep going on your path, no matter what's going on around you. It can be something as simple as wanting to wear a smaller size or being able to walk to the corner store. I know one girl that wanted to last longer during sex. For me, it was the fact that Iooked I fat in my wedding pictures. But it's a reason for YOU, not for someone else. Find that, and you'll put yourself on the right path. You still have to walk that path, but at least you'll have your own reason for doing so.
  • DKLI
    DKLI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    In all of the years I've tried dieting, I believed I needed to eat less and eat what would be construed as "diet" foods and drinks. The eat less part is fine, it's the eating diet foods that would derail me because they weren't necessarily foods I really wanted to eat. I ate them because they were less calories or they were "healthier" for me but I was always left hungry and dissatisfied. I now eat what I want and keep it within my calorie goal. I may be a little hungry afterward (as I'm not stuffing myself silly) but I never feel deprived of eating what I really like. I don't like shakes as meals because they would never satisfy my hunger or taste buds.
  • CynnamonSweets
    CynnamonSweets Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You guys have caused a change in me. The things I've read that motivate me, stay in my head and they replay when I contemplate a decision.