Hard time adjusting to new change...

I've having a hard time adjusting to eating less. I eat smaller portions now of the right foods and drink a lot of water, like a galon a day, but I'm still hungry feeling. I know some of it is due to me working out everyday, but how do you adjust? I feel hungry all the time and the intesity of the hunger kills me. So, I'll have a snack, but then shortly after, I feel like it all over again. I drink plenty of water. Any tips or advise is greatly appreciated... Please don't judge me. Thanks!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    If you are hungry all the time then your calories are too low OR you should experiment with different foods and meal/snack timing.

MFP's lowest default minimum for women is 1200 net. That means 1200 BEFORE exercise. You earn more calories for exercise. 1200 is more appropriate for petite senior ladies. If you are at 1200 you should consider dialing back your weekly weight loss goal.

Foods that are filling contain protein, fat and fiber. This will take experimentation. Some people stay full on low-fat protein (not me)....adding fat definitely increases the staying power for me. Dietary fat is necessary for so many bodily functions.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Find protien packed and fiber packed foods, they keep you feeling fuller longer. Just continue the water intake with the fiber or you will get constipated or so they warn lol
  • kimberliekay330
    kimberliekay330 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you!
  • NikkyT30
    NikkyT30 Posts: 91 Member
    I had to adjust my settings to only lose .5 lbs so it gave me more daily calories. Then adjusted it after a month to a 1lb loss till I got used to that calorie intake. Also I can't work out in the morning or I starve all day and tend to overeat. Working out in the evenings works better for me. Hope this helps:) good luck:)
  • cocnuts
    cocnuts Posts: 15 Member
    Try starting just at maintenance calories, and deal only with the hunger situation. As mentioned above, try other type of foods that might give you a more filling sensation, or changing when you eat. Don't eat in a rush, rather spend a few extra seconds chewing your food, that also will give you a more filling sensation.

Then when you've adapted to that, lower your calories to a small weight loss per week, so you do small steps all the time but keep it sustainable and consistent.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 429 Member
    Try to experiment with different foods and what keeps you full. I like to start my morning with oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder & flax seed and maybe a handful of fruit. Good carbs to fuel your workouts with low fat & good fiber. This will keep me full for quite some time. Kinda sticks to your bones.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    protein and fats keep you feeling fuller longer.

is it appetite or hunger? if it's hunger are you eating back exercise calories? what is your weekly weight loss goal?

you don't have to be hungry while losing