No motivation but high hopes of weights loss

Options
so I weigh 142 lbs. but I don't have any motivation, constantly binging and not being active. I need help with this process.

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
    Get a food scale
    Ask your doctor for a therapist referral
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    With no motivation, your chances of weight loss are pretty much nil. You don't have a huge weight problem (yet) at 142 pounds, but you should figure it out before it gets out of control.

Therapist referral is not a bad idea. Also, go to the Success Story forum and read about some of the people who have made serious life changes. That might get the motivation machine going. Only YOU can do this, others can only support you. Good luck!!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The first poster had excellent advice. In addition to that, you might consider:

What are your hopes, specifically? WHY do you want to lose weight? Be specific, write a list.

Then decide what you would like your activity level to be in order to attain your goals. Be realistic. Realize that activity needs to be part of your lifestyle, not something you have to force yourself into.

Finally, make a list of intermittent goals that will get you where you want to be.

Be sure to give yourself adequate time to reach your goals. Most of us don't change very quickly. So an initial goal might just be to exercise for 10 minutes 3x per week. That won't really help your weight loss, but it builds a habit. Once you've reached 3x and held it for several weeks, bump up to 5x. Then start adding time: 15 min, 20 min, etc. Over time, exercise will become more of a habit and less of a chore.

Hope that helps! Good luck :-) Feel free to friend me if you want.

jen
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not intending to sound argumentative here, but what if you stopped waiting for motivation and just did it? Motivation is awesome, but it's an emotional high. Emotional highs wax and wain all of the time. If I counted the number of days when I was excited to jump up and workout while eating at a deficit, it would be immensly over-shadowed by the days when dieting was the last thing I wanted to do.

You obviously feel that this is something you have to do, so do it. It's like doing the dishes. Who's motivated to do the dishes? Weird people, but certainly not the average person. But we do them, because we're responsible adults and that's the responsible, adult thing to do.

I met success when I just woke up and did it one morning, and then I woke up the next morning and did it again, and again. I started small - working on my eating, after that, I started exercising lightly. This is not something you have to jump into 100% from the very beginning; start somewhere attainable, then go from there.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Not intending to sound argumentative here, but what if you stopped waiting for motivation and just did it? Motivation is awesome, but it's an emotional high. Emotional highs wax and wain all of the time. If I counted the number of days when I was excited to jump up and workout while eating at a deficit, it would be immensly over-shadowed by the days when dieting was the last thing I wanted to do.

You obviously feel that this is something you have to do, so do it. It's like doing the dishes. Who's motivated to do the dishes? Weird people, but certainly not the average person. But we do them, because we're responsible adults and that's the responsible, adult thing to do.

I met success when I just woke up and did it one morning, and then I woke up the next morning and did it again, and again. I started small - working on my eating, after that, I started exercising lightly. This is not something you have to jump into 100% from the very beginning; start somewhere attainable, then go from there.

This is excellent advice. Motivation is fleeting, dedication and habit is what will get you there.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    so I weigh 142 lbs. but I don't have any motivation, constantly binging and not being active. I need help with this process.

you can't hope it into existence

you have to do something about it

you just need to commit to weighing and logging your food and moving more

if you don't .. you're not going to lose weight

it's up to you .. get your act in gear
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    With no motivation, your chances of weight loss are pretty much nil. You don't have a huge weight problem (yet) at 142 pounds, but you should figure it out before it gets out of control.

Therapist referral is not a bad idea. Also, go to the Success Story forum and read about some of the people who have made serious life changes. That might get the motivation machine going. Only YOU can do this, others can only support you. Good luck!!

Do we know how tall the OP is?